Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have now had the car about 1 month and 2000 miles. The problem I am having is that the car just doesnt seem to be consistent in its characteristics. What I mean is that one stop light the car will pull super strong but the next it doesnt seem as strong. When I had my SVT Focus, the engine seemed to perform the exact same everytime I needed it too but this car I am not so sure what kind of performance I am going to get each time I ssue I heget on it. Even the torque curve seems to change by the minute. Maybe I am crazy but I am wondering if anyone else feel the same or am I maybe experiencing this " some have?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Are you launching at the same RPM each time???? If you launch around the 3000 mark, when the clutch engages and the RPM's fall below it will take time for the boost to build and you will have a week launch.... On the other hand if you release the clutch and manage to keep the RPM's above the 3000 mark you will launch hard.... im wondering if this is your problem....

·
Registered
11,748 Posts
If you sit at a light long enough, the intercooler is going to turn into an interwarmer. Then when you start moving again, it'll cool the charge temp back down after it gets some airflow.

The intercooler is too far away for the fans to effect airflow through it, so the longer you sit in traffic/light, the greater the charge temp will rise.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My problem seems to be day to day driving. I am not doing tranny drop launches just I pull out in 1st, not too hard, get on the gas and scoot. The problem is that everytime I do this I dont seem to get the same results even though I know I am doing the same thing each time. It is wierd. I havent gotten the flash yet because my understanding of the powerloss is that the car dumps boost after 4000 rpm which I do not have a problem with. Now the "interwarmer" may be part of the problem. I can see the charge getting heat soaked and causing some problems. I just never had this problem before. I re-built a 1984 Volvo 242 Turbo, intercooled and it performed on que the same each time. Of course it had a FMIC not a top mounted.

·
Registered
11,748 Posts
Of course it had a FMIC not a top mounted.[/b]
One owner on 6tech has reported success with building a sort of shield between the intercooler and the turbo/engine which helps deflect the engine heat away. If you are getting substaintal variances in your power output, this could help you. Since you've rebuilt a volvo (nice car btw), I'm sure you could adapt a similar concept until some aftermarket company finishes a FMIC which moves the charge cooling away from the turbo/engine.

custom aluminum heat shield I designed with thermal insulation matting that is placed under the intercooler just above the valve cover. This helps to repel the heat coming the valve cover. In my testing i found that the heat generated off the valve cover is about 165 degrees and the intercooler was reading 132 degrees (after a hard run with 72 degree ambient air temp). After the install I test drove the car again using the exact course as before and found a 20 degree cooler difference.[/b]
http://forum.mazda6tech.com/viewtopic.php?...der=asc&start=0

PM mzspeed6inmd for more information.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
One owner on 6tech has reported success with building a sort of shield between the intercooler and the turbo/engine which helps deflect the engine heat away. If you are getting substaintal variances in your power output, this could help you. Since you've rebuilt a volvo (nice car btw), I'm sure you could adapt a similar concept until some aftermarket company finishes a FMIC which moves the charge cooling away from the turbo/engine.
http://forum.mazda6tech.com/viewtopic.php?...der=asc&start=0

PM mzspeed6inmd for more information.
[/b]
Thanks for the info. Your idea sounds logical so the shield makes sense.

·
Registered
11,748 Posts
It has the standard radiator/AC fan's like a normal 6 does. The issue is that the intercooler is mounted away from those fans, and also tilted in such a way, that any airflow from those fans would be completely nullified by the time it reached the intercooler.

Combined with the intercooler sitting above the engine and turbo, it will rapidly turn into an interwarmer if you at sitting at a light for a few minutes, or just stuck in traffic.

There is very little you can do in this situation other then deflect the heat, or move to a different type of intercooler mounting. (Which is not yet available).

Though the ducting system of the MPS 6 may be effective, it sure doesn't do much when its just sitting there. The heat rises, and the alumnium intercooler just sucks it up, not knowing any better.

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Sorry just let me get OT a little here.

Hi Crossbow. Howcome you kept calling your US spec car MPS whilst you should've been calling it rightly MS 6? Just curious, that's all :)

·
Registered
403 Posts
Sorry just let me get OT a little here.

Hi Crossbow. Howcome you kept calling your US spec car MPS whilst you should've been calling it rightly MS 6? Just curious, that's all :)
[/b]
It's because he's not like us plain ole ordinary Americans. His knowledge is much vaster and more global in nature. :yesnod:

·
Registered
403 Posts
What's in a name? That which we call a rose
By any other word would smell as sweet.
[/b]
Or as bad, if you launch it hard enough!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
About this Discussion
13 Replies
8 Participants
seanw
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing