Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off i wanna ask, what type of clutch mechanism do we have for our 6? Do we have a spring/rod or a hydrolic type. I'm quite convinced that most newer cars now have hydrolic but i'm not sure about ours.

I'm also curious if anyone feels that our clutch is a bit harder to use than other cars. I've only driven a few other manual cars but it seems that they all seem to have a more progressive and smooth engagement point where as mine feels more short and "springy."

I'm curious if i am the only person experiencing this or if it is all the manual mazda6s

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
We've got hydraulics. And no, you're not alone. I think a little more spring in the pedal would help, but I'm not sure about that either. My wife's Accord four banger has more beef to the clutch, and once I get used to it again it just seems easier to drive. But this isn't bad enough to get me out of my MTX! :nono:

·
Administrator
8,397 Posts
Do a :search: or two, and you'll soon discover that the clutch in the Mazda6 is quite unique.

Many different members have dealt with replacing clutches with low miles on them, others (such as mine) tend to vary their engagement points ever so slightly, which makes you look like a newbie shifter, whether you've driven MTX for 10 minutes or 10 years. In my experience, it's definitely no Honda MTX, but at least Mazda still has the cojones to offer MTX with the top-line engine. At least for now...

·
Registered
32 Posts
I know this thread is old, but I'm glad I read it. I've owned and driven A LOT of manual transmission cars and the 6 has by far been the hardest to be smooth and consistent with. I've never been able to quite put my finger on it, but the odd travel/engagement point hits it on the head.

I've had the occasional clutch shudder for a long time as well, which scares me (I'm coming up on 94,000 miles now) as so many people have had trouble with it, but it isn't common enough to be a huge problem (knock on wood).

·
Registered
199 Posts
Ain't that the truth - some days the clutch engages up high, some lower. Sometimes I'll get the shudder, sometimes not. Some days it'll be heavy, others not so much.

I'm also at 94k miles and when it frustrates me I swear I'm going to get the clutch replaced. I have an RPM lightened flywheel waiting to go in, just have to decide on which clutch for my 100+ mile daily drives...

Kevin M.
2004 MTX wagon

QUOTE (GerryB @ Jun 25 2008, 09:29 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1377262
It's a perpetual learning process. In the end, it only makes us stronger. :ninja:[/b]

·
Registered
147 Posts
I had an 1991 mazda eunos (Japanese Import) aka mazda mx3 years ago when I was in NZ, the clutch was excellent on that car. I wonder if it's only the 6 that does have this problem. Does anybody have any experience driving other mazda cars?

·
Registered
199 Posts
Absolutely - '86 323, '93 Protege LX, '95 Miata, 2000 Protege ES

All of those were dead on consistent. None of them felt as odd/varying as the 6 does.

QUOTE (Fenixz Prime @ Jun 26 2008, 11:34 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1377649
I had an 1991 mazda eunos (Japanese Import) aka mazda mx3 years ago when I was in NZ, the clutch was excellent on that car. I wonder if it's only the 6 that does have this problem. Does anybody have any experience driving other mazda cars?[/b]

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
I've driven the 3, the 5 and a Speed Miata and they all have clutches that feel better than mine. I feel as if I've driven those cars longer than mine because of how smooth I can drive those ones.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
About this Discussion
10 Replies
7 Participants
wing_woo
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing