Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The transmission from the V6 is the MFA60. This transmission is used in the following cars.

NISSAN
Altima
Sentra
X-Trail
Hyundai
Coupe
Tiburon
Ford
Escape
Maverick
Mazda
Mazda6
Tribute

I have also learned that this transmission comes available in a 6spd, such as the one in the Sentra and with a LSD. On a further note this explains why the Phantom grip for the Tiburon is the same part number as that for the Mazda6.

Here is the transmission manufacturer website.
http://www.aichikikai.co.jp/english/

I have search around to see if an LSD is available for any of the above transmissions, I have only been able to find the Nissan Sentra, the part number from Nissan is 38411-8000 and cost you $545 and is a viscous coupling LSD. Now I know the Sentra has a 6spd, but is there any reason to think that this LSD will not fit the Mazda6 V6 transmission. The splines may be different but I would assume they are the same if the transmission is from the same manufacturer. Also I know the bell housing would be different but is it possible to change the actual transmission for the Sentra 6spd unit? This would let you retain your present clutch and flywheel and just change the transmission. Would the MTX75 be a better bet than this, I know the transmission are easy to find, and that parts for then are everywhere, but will it fit in the car?

I have also read a review on the Phantom Grip on a Sentra and the people said it felt nearly the same as the stock one.

Post up what you guys think. Is this worth a $545 gamble?

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
The transmission from the V6 is the MFA60. This transmission is used in the following cars.

NISSAN
Altima
Sentra
X-Trail
Hyundai
Coupe
Tiburon
Ford
Escape
Maverick
Mazda
Mazda6
Tribute

I have also learned that this transmission comes available in a 6spd, such as the one in the Sentra and with a LSD. On a further note this explains why the Phantom grip for the Tiburon is the same part number as that for the Mazda6.

Here is the transmission manufacturer website.
http://www.aichikikai.co.jp/english/

I have search around to see if an LSD is available for any of the above transmissions, I have only been able to find the Nissan Sentra, the part number from Nissan is 38411-8000 and cost you $545 and is a viscous coupling LSD. Now I know the Sentra has a 6spd, but is there any reason to think that this LSD will not fit the Mazda6 V6 transmission. The splines may be different but I would assume they are the same if the transmission is from the same manufacturer. Also I know the bell housing would be different but is it possible to change the actual transmission for the Sentra 6spd unit? This would let you retain your present clutch and flywheel and just change the transmission. Would the MTX75 be a better bet than this, I know the transmission are easy to find, and that parts for then are everywhere, but will it fit in the car?

I have also read a review on the Phantom Grip on a Sentra and the people said it felt nearly the same as the stock one.

Post up what you guys think. Is this worth a $545 gamble?
[/b]
Even u got a 6spd tranny installed, now what? Do you have to do any work after that like reseting the gear ratio, power band in different gears and such? It might not be just $545.

If u wanna be the guinea pig, I'll back u up cuz I want one as well. Give me a shout with ur plan so let's see if we could work something out.

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
$545 would just be the LSD, not the tranny.

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
$545 would just be the LSD, not the tranny.
[/b]
If u gonna go ahead, i'll share a half with u, so the risk is reduced. If's successful, then buy the other half back from me. Of course, I hope it'd work.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
If it comes in a 6 spd wouldnt it no longer be this trany? It would have a different number.

But good find on the rest of the info.

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'ts the same transmission it just comes with 6spd as optional, it's the same size and series. It's like buying a Mazda6 with the I4 or V6 it fits in the same package.

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Here's something I found in my searching, There is a Quaife LSD available for the Tiburon. Now I wonder if there is any way of find out if it is able to fit the V6 MTX.

Does anyone have a tranny taken part, or a spare one. I know a stock Mazda6 Diff from the V6 MTX runs about $500 CDN.

EDIT:

I have contacted Quaife about making an LSD for our transmission, they said they will do so if they can get 30 buyers. Only 10 buyers if we want gearset made. But gearset asre much more expensive costing around $5000, but I would still love to get one.

Can we get a list going of people who would actually spend the $1500 or so dollars needed to make an LSD.

·
Premium Member
7,221 Posts
If I hadn't just spent $1200 to buy an entire car, I'd consider it. Hope this goes well! Once they ahve it made, it means they can make more of them :) It might be worthwhile seeing if a few of the site sponsors would want to stock a couple, it'll eat into the 30 much faster.

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
Here's something I found in my searching, There is a Quaife LSD available for the Tiburon. Now I wonder if there is any way of find out if it is able to fit the V6 MTX.

Does anyone have a tranny taken part, or a spare one. I know a stock Mazda6 Diff from the V6 MTX runs about $500 CDN.

EDIT:

I have contacted Quaife about making an LSD for our transmission, they said they will do so if they can get 30 buyers. Only 10 buyers if we want gearset made. But gearset asre much more expensive costing around $5000, but I would still love to get one.

Can we get a list going of people who would actually spend the $1500 or so dollars needed to make an LSD.
[/b]
Seriously, I would as you know I'm a performance modder ;) . For those whose consider FI must look into it, you'll definitely need to balance out the power at the wheels. Even if u're gonna stay with NA, it's gonna be another significant performance mod since our car is not designed to go fast in the straights but corners. So if u already spent thousand dollars on coilovers, why don't you just take a step forward now?

·
Registered
281 Posts
2 Mazda6sMtx
You going by my steps.
http://forum.mazda6tech.com/viewtopic.php?t=6026
http://forum.mazda6tech.com/viewtopic.php?t=5795

So the Total...
MFA60 - is a 5 or 6 speed manual gearbox for 6s V6 only
For the i4 manual going BG6 gearbox from Aishin AI

About LSD
Quaife have direct produced LSD for mazda 6s
And. By research there is LSD what fits 6i.
When I'll try I will write about it.
BTW to set LSD fully assemblen in other core be ready to bill 20-40 hours of work.
In 6i it needs correct ring installed between 0.05mm to 1.5mm with step of 0.05mm.

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If Quaife already has produced an LSD for the MFA60 then which part number is it?

·
Registered
281 Posts
BTW
MFA60 have same power capacity as stock gearbox...
Quaife PN QDF-8F

Actually I asked Quaife if it possible to produce gear kit with capacity of 400-500hp and what will be price. Will post their answer here.

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Wow great find is there any idea on when it will be available. I looked it up and it only appeared on the euro website for Quaife, but I know they didn't offer th V6 overseas. Any word on how much this will cost, they didn't have a price for the LSD either.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Don't know.
It just was get from contacts with them.

BTW does somebody have 6i diff outside tranny ?
I have tech infos that Quaife diff will fit, but like it sayed here "measure 7 times and cut once..."
So it will be interesting for me to get that diff real measurment.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts