Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone verify whether or not the In-dash 6-disc changer part number is the same for both the Bose system and the non-Bose system? I can extract a part number from my Bose system HU if someone wants to compare. I believe I've mapped out the wiring for the Bose system but I need to determine if the Bose amp is utilizing pre-amp or speaker level inputs.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
837 Posts
Reading Topic: In-dash 6 disc changer

Kyler,

I did not know you can get 6CD changer in the standard system. I thought you can only get 6CD Changer with the upgraded BOSE system.

On that note though, you can upgrade to the 6CD changer for the stock unit as well. And they are the same. All the control is in the main head unit. The 6CD changer component is the same for all head unit.

Here is my 6CD changer unit taken out and replaced with currently the factory MP3 CD.

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
721 Posts
Reading Topic: In-dash 6 disc changer

Is that picture of Bose 6CD changer? uhmm.. interesting.. made by Matsushita?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,628 Posts
Reading Topic: In-dash 6 disc changer

Doesn't surprise me. Matsushita makes every cd product on earth (ok not literally, but it seems it)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Replying to Topic 'In-dash 6 disc changer'

QUOTE
Originally posted by hieppo


            Kyler,

I did not know you can get 6CD changer in the standard system.  I thought you can only get 6CD Changer with the upgraded BOSE system.

On that note though, you can upgrade to the 6CD changer for the stock unit as well.  And they are the same.  All the control is in the main head unit.  The 6CD changer component is the same for all head unit.

Here is my 6CD changer unit taken out and replaced with currently the factory MP3 CD.[/b]
Yeah, I verified online for the U.S. and you can get the 6 disc changer as an option for the base system. You know, I didn't even think about the CD/changer/MP3 units all being modules despite all the posts here. I guess now the better question is whether or not the control/HU portion is the same for Bose and non-Bose. Probably a harder question to have answered on here, but it may offer better hope that the Bose system has pre-amps instead of speaker level outputs.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,972 Posts
Reading Topic: In-dash 6 disc changer

I belive the only difference between the base system and the Bose is that the Bose head unit .. is from Bose of course ;); and has different outputs... The things you attach (CD/MP3/MD/changer) are all the same.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Replying to Topic 'In-dash 6 disc changer'

QUOTE
Originally posted by Blackbird


            I belive the only difference between the base system and the Bose is that the Bose head unit .. is from Bose of course ;); and has different outputs... The things you attach (CD/MP3/MD/changer) are all the same.[/b]
Then those must be pre-amp outputs on the back of the Bose HU. Interesting. I received some strange advice from an audio shop today. They suggested going with an LOC if keeping the HU and installing aftermarket amps/speakers. I asked them why and they said that in their experience, premium systems (like Bose) in newer cars sound terrible (alot of distortion) if you utilize the pre-amp signals. He was of course referring to alot of work he has done with BMWs. Seems odd to me. I'd have to hear it to believe it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
657 Posts
Reading Topic: In-dash 6 disc changer

They could be talking about the pre-outs having a very low voltage, in which case, it WOULD affect your sound. Most LOCs also include a line driver (boosting the pre-out voltage) just to counteract that.

Look at it like this: Aftermarket amps can handle from .1V to somewhere around 5-8V. Cheaper head units (aftermarket) put out about .25-.5v. GOOD aftermarket heads put out about 3v RMS. BETTER head units can do 5v to 16v (balanced line on the 16v). The higher the voltage, the less you turn the gain up. The less the gain is up, the less the amp has to "push" itself to make it's power. The less of that you have, the less distortion you have, for the most part. This of course is the quick explanation.

Now, say the BOSE deck puts out about .15v. You're going to have some crappy signal being sent to your aftermarket amp, while the BOSE amp would be optimized for a low signal. This would possibly explain the degredation of the sound quality. By utilizing an LOC, you're now boosting the voltage to 5v, possibly even 8v or more, allowing for a clearer signal running to your amps.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Replying to Topic 'In-dash 6 disc changer'

QUOTE
Originally posted by Entropism


            They could be talking about the pre-outs having a very low voltage, in which case, it WOULD affect your sound.  Most LOCs also include a line driver (boosting the pre-out voltage) just to counteract that.

Look at it like this:  Aftermarket amps can handle from .1V to somewhere around 5-8V.  Cheaper head units (aftermarket) put out about .25-.5v.  GOOD aftermarket heads put out about 3v RMS.  BETTER head units can do 5v to 16v (balanced line on the 16v).  The higher the voltage, the less you turn the gain up.  The less the gain is up, the less the amp has to "push" itself to make it's power.  The less of that you have, the less distortion you have, for the most part.  This of course is the quick explanation.

Now, say the BOSE deck puts out about .15v.  You're going to have some crappy signal being sent to your aftermarket amp, while the BOSE amp would be optimized for a low signal.  This would possibly explain the degredation of the sound quality.  By utilizing an LOC, you're now boosting the voltage to 5v, possibly even 8v or more, allowing for a clearer signal running to your amps.[/b]
That's good info Entropism! Thanks! Aren't LOC's for speaker level outputs? Can you use them to simply boost what is a very low level pre-amp output (in the case of something around 150mV) from the Bose HU? The Bose amp may be optimized for the signal, but if you leave it in the equation and use LOC after the amp speaker outputs, then your system is still no better than what the crappy Bose amp is doing. I'd like to eliminate it altogether and take the signal straight from the HU. I cracked the Bose amp open this past weekend and was amazed at the simplicity. I think the modem in my PC looks more complex.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
498 Posts
Replying to Topic 'In-dash 6 disc changer'

QUOTE
Originally posted by MZ6ZoomZoom


            Bose Amp, Bose Speakers.[/b]
And Bose subwoofer. Boom Boom Zoom? :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
541 Posts
Replying to Topic 'In-dash 6 disc changer'

QUOTE
Originally posted by kyler13


            Yes, it would appear so.[/b]


Appear isn't instilling a whole lot of confidence in me. Do we know for sure?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Reading Topic: In-dash 6 disc changer

Well, it doesn't appear that anyone else has dug any deeper than me and I think the question has been asked quite a few times. I'm operating on deduction from what I have found so far and the word of a car audio shop technician (high end shop, not summer help at Best Buy). If someone has some suggestions on how I can find out for sure, I'm willing to do the grunt work. I have some ideas of my own, but it requires buying a multimeter better than the $10 one I have but I'm not shelling out alot of money on a hunch. I'm also not cutting into the harness and hard wire testing to an amp until I have the equipment I want to install. Time is something I have pleny of right now.
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Top