Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4,775 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in chicago right now with my parents for my dad's birthday. We are staying at the W hotel on Lakeshore and Ontario (600 block of lakeshore). Sunday we are going to a cubbies game, but other than that does anyone have any other suggestions for places to eat or things to do? We have stuff planned, but want to get another oppinion.

Thanks guys. BTW, now that I have been to 5 different W hotels, they all rock. Nothing like a 33rd floor sand bar.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Been there twice as a visitors, just take the elevated train if you want to see the city. Go to the ethnic neighborhoods like Chinatown, Spanish area, Vietnamese area, the lists goes on. I took the train everyone, didnt attempt to rent a car in a city that big. Downtown Chicago is hugh and extremly clean, with so many visitors they have to keep it clean.

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
im headin to an autox this saturday, if your really bored i can pick you up :) its downtown ish, south of o'hare

in fact im pretty sure i walk right by your hotel most every day going to work :) ill be downtown all day today, if your bored and want to meet for lunch call me, 847-899-5865

for stuff to do without me, i'd make sure you DONT go to navy pier. its horrid, the worst tourist place in chicago.

instead, i'd definatley do the sears tower skydeck thing, its really cool, hmm, bars, lots of great bars, its hit up some of the beaches this weekend if its nice and above 70

and get some chicago style pizza at UNO's downtown :)

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
just got downtown, saw your hotel as i walked by, i really want to check it out some night with some of my friends. the 'ristorante we' at the bottom is good? it looks super modern and awesome from the street level.

also, check out the bean at millenium park, that thing is cool.

EDIT: just reread your post and your not at the hotel i was thinking of. lakeshore and ontario? hmm.

·
Registered
682 Posts
I'll second the Sears Tower suggestion - that was worth it.

And of course - Scores!. It's east of O'Hare airport, I can't remember where exactly...

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
things at navy pier are overly priced,and there is nothing for adults to do except walk around and look at the skyline. mebbe a ferris wheel ride at night looking over at chicago would be cool, but ive never done it.

·
Registered
4,499 Posts
I would do the John Hancock over the Sears Tower. The view is generally clearer and better.

Great places to hang out in Wrigleyville. Go early and hang out in the beer gardens, Go back after the game. There are tons of great neighborhood bars...

Avoid the Dan Ryan Expressway whatever you do! It's under heavy construction and is hell on earth.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Navy Pier is nice to just walk around and take in the views. Stand there and enjoy a breeze coming off the lake. I vote Gino's East over Uno but Uno downtown is a good experience. Lincoln Park zoo is worth a visit. Any women in your group will want to hit Michigan Ave.

·
Registered
4,499 Posts
for lunch? 1 word...POTBELLY'S.

Best sub's around.
[/b]
Meh... they're all right. We have one near my work.

·
Registered
4,775 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well, today we took the tourboat ride down the chicago river to look at all the architecture and it was really cool. I will post pics soon. We also walked over to millenium park and I got some GREAT pics of the bean

Ate at the webber grill restaurant last night. That was really good. As far as other things go, we are going to the cubs game on sun and I think tomorrow we are going to hit up the museums.

·
Registered
4,775 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Haha, game at Wrigley was AMAZING. I am glad that we didn't sit in the bleachers, cause it was a scorcher with a lot of humidity.

All in all, the trip was really good

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
About this Discussion
16 Replies
9 Participants
dabears2k
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing