Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
being inside the car when accelerating, the engine sound is pretty smooth and appealing. But after letting one of my friends kicking the pedal while i stood outside, i am sure something must be done about that pathetic sound. So, does anyone know the simplest mods to slightly increase the 'bass' of that noise.

I am not much interested in performance improvements, nor in having a muscle car/ racing car growl.

I did some research and there seams to be an air filter already out, does that do anything regarding the sound. or do i need a whole intake kit, or even an exhaust kit.(i am just looking for a slight improvement in sound in terms of deepness and not loudness).

thanks in advance.

·
Registered
98 Posts
when i was looking to improve mine, i had a couple options:

1) straight up cut out the muffler.
2) get a new muffler.
3) get a new exhaust.
4) get straight pipes.
5) mess with the cat...but that's illegal.

i'm sure there's more options...but for my 6, i got a new exhaust.

·
Registered
710 Posts
5) mess with the cat...but that's illegal.
Fuck that, yank that shit out.

Mufflers would be the best option, then a cat delete. It gives it that deep rumble without the melon launcher ricer sound. Loud enough to let them know you're coming, but quiet enough not to wake up the neighbors.

·
Registered
98 Posts
well then how would you pass smog?

·
Registered
98 Posts
oh yeah, i have friends that do that, but that's hella work lol. i'm lazy.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Is there a way to get a custom exhaust made or is it better to just wait until a company makes one?

·
Registered
175 Posts
Well if you don't really care about performance, then just swap out your muffler for a generic aftermarket one - Couple hundred for the muffler & install only prob that way.

·
Registered
710 Posts
+1

I've seen folks get a universal high-flow spun cat from Summit/Jegs with some decent aftermarket mufflers and the performance gains were pretty good with the mellow deep rumble to it. Any reputable muffler shop can build you a larger diameter custom exhaust, but it all depends how deep you're pockets are.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Even though I am running an first gen, i believe AWR makes mounts for the upper years but it created a more aggressive sound, depends if you want to go that route, here is a video of my car with CAI and mounts and thats it, stock exhaust:

·
Registered
29 Posts
I want performance and a deeper sound. Would a custom exhaust be the only thing to do because I haven't seen any flow cats or exhaust systems for sale for 2009 Mazda 6. I don't think that the mufflers would sound very good and don't give that much performance.

·
Registered
710 Posts
I want performance and a deeper sound. Would a custom exhaust be the only thing to do because I haven't seen any flow cats or exhaust systems for sale for 2009 Mazda 6. I don't think that the mufflers would sound very good and don't give that much performance.
Read post #10. And yes exhaust upgrades is a tremendous step for future modding. Swapping out stock mufflers alone will change the sound. It will give you a deeper mellow rumble. Eliminating the cat won't make it any louder but it will give you more droning. Don't ask me how I know, lol.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Would it be better to make a custom exhaust or to wait for one to come out?

·
Registered
6,960 Posts
Depends on what you're looking for.

The only real benefit to a complete catback is that you can just install it yourself. Of course, you pay out the ass to have them make it that way. If you just remove the stock mufflers and go with a couple Magnaflow universal mufflers, you'll probably end up paying about half of a catback.

No responses about "but I want the catback for the power!", please, because if you wanted power from changing the exhaust you should have chose a car with a turbo from the start :p

1 - 15 of 15 Posts