Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did this by myself and it was a bit tough to get it done. I did the soldering, but do not buy that cold heat shit because it does not work well. I was able to complete the soldering except that brown sob cable, but i am going back next week with a new soldering gun and get it completed. As far as performance it is noticeable righ away and the power just keeps coming on constant basis. It seems to me that the engine is smooth and quieter. :drool: I really like it, hope to enjoy it more.

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
Those coldheat soldering irons are junk....you should return it, expressing your disappointment and get your $20 back.

Start thinking about buying the CPE engine mount. Engine movement was bad enough without the mafci, but with it....you'll begin to limit how often you punch the throttle until you replace the mount. There is a video somewhere of a V6 dyno, the engine gradually moves about 2"s then slams back during the shift.

The power just seems to be more consistant across the full range...you don't need to be driving aggressively to enjoy the benefits of the mafci. But when you want it, its there.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
^
true said. I normally get 600 kms off of a tank when "taking it easy". Using the same drive style (shifting at 2000-2500) rpms, i was upto 680 kms / tank average.

Then there is the punch it and go......Yee HAW. Although I was a little disappointed at first because I really couldn't feel it, when I "play" with other v6s with an MTX the gains become more obvious.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Those coldheat soldering irons are junk....you should return it, expressing your disappointment and get your $20 back.

Start thinking about buying the CPE engine mount. Engine movement was bad enough without the mafci, but with it....you'll begin to limit how often you punch the throttle until you replace the mount. There is a video somewhere of a V6 dyno, the engine gradually moves about 2"s then slams back during the shift.

The power just seems to be more consistant across the full range...you don't need to be driving aggressively to enjoy the benefits of the mafci. But when you want it, its there.
[/b]
Yes I notice that when doing my preliminary test drive yesterday after the install. Boy that engine was really jumpy and had an idea because i have been reading about it in here. As for the power, it seems like the power band is smooth and even throughout the rpm range of the car. The casr feels a little faster off the line, but it really gathers speed after third gear kicks in, oh I have an AUTOMATIC. I hope that there is some sort of group buy soon for those mounts.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Yes I notice that when doing my preliminary test drive yesterday after the install. Boy that engine was really jumpy and had an idea because i have been reading about it in here. As for the power, it seems like the power band is smooth and even throughout the rpm range of the car. The casr feels a little faster off the line, but it really gathers speed after third gear kicks in, oh I have an AUTAMATIC. I hope that there is some sort of group buy soon for those mounts.
[/b]

If you are interested in a mount I suggest checking out RPM's site. That is the best discount you can get currently. I wouldn't anticipate a group buy coming out any time soon for these. I have the red mount (can only be bought through RPM due to limited production) and is it my second favorite mod. CPE Mafci being number one of course. Nothing I read prepared me for the difference in my cars performance with the CPE especially when throttle position is over about 85%. Crossbow, I have a 04' with no ECU reflash since purchased if you are interested in the extra bit of information.

·
Registered
11,748 Posts
Thanks MN6,

I'm just curious because I like to know what year car's (and ecu reflash) of which the owners are thrilled about the CP-E's performance.

As you've probably noticed, there is a post every once in awhile with someone who isn't as thrilled with the change.

In my 04 (never flashed), I feel an enormous difference...so much so that I feel as if I lost a cylinder if I disconnect it.

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
My 04 V6 ATX has never been ECU flashed either....but I do need to take it in for a PCM flash recall.

My theory about power delivery, overall with or without the mafci, is that the ecu if constantly referencing the Throttle Position, RPMs, and vehicle speed. When certain conditions are met, the engine will either apply full power immediately, or gradually.

If you are driving slow, say less than 30mph, with very light throttle, and decide to apply 100% throttle, you get the full power, and you always get that kick in your butt.

But in another case, if you are in upper-middle rpms, with say 57% throttle, at 57mph and decide to apply 100% throttle, the ecu gradually increases the engine power, rather than instantly....so sometimes when you are getting ready to merge aggressively on to a highway with no other people around (gotta say that disclaimer), sometimes you feel the kick in the butt and sometimes you don't, since the conditions are probably different each time.

I think thats what people, myself included, are experiencing when they simply ask "wheres the power at?"....the gradual or immediate power application conditions are much more pronounced with the CPE system. Also keep in mind that CPE system is transparent to the ECU, and the ECU still has that factory tune from Mazda. Mazda doesn't want their customers wrecking because of a sudden surge of power that causes a wheel slip. Thats just my opinion though...

·
Registered
199 Posts
I've the the CP-E intake on for about a month now - 04 MTX wagon, red CP-E mount and Torque Forward engine damper, MF exhaust. I believe my car has been flashed (I _asked_ them to do it, but given the slimey service writer, I'm not sure it happened. :irate: )

The biggest thing I noticed after installing the intake was that the torque that I lost when installing the Maganflow exhause had returned - in spades! that means I don't have to rev it up if I don't want to.

Related to the returned torque, it is very noticeable that I need less throttle for a given speed. This was a relief of sorts, as I was worried that my mileage would decrease. If anything, the mileage has gone up ever so slightly.

The intake makes driving the car oh so much more fun - now we just need CP-E to come up with an LSD for the car...

·
Registered
159 Posts
I've got an 04 6s MTX no reflash and I noticed a significant difference with the CPE. It was immediate. I do notice that sometimes it feels like it is lagging a bit and other times it really kicks you in the rear. I live in Tucson and notice that as the weather is getting warmer, it tends to lag a bit during the daylight hours. In the morning and evening it absolutely flies, when it's cooler out. Maybe it's in my head but I see what mbrogz3000's talking about with his theory too. Either way, I know that extra power is there when I want it and that's what really matters. :D

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
My biggest 'problem' with the CPE is watching my speed...it seriously is a problem where I live. I usually look down, and see that the needle is at 85 or more instead of slightly below 80...when I'm on the highway with no other cars or people around.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I hear that. The first week I had it I kept noticing that I was magically doing 70 as quickly as I used to do 60. Whoopsie! :laugh: I've had to learn to ease off the gas a bit earlier in some instances.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I hear that. The first week I had it I kept noticing that I was magically doing 70 as quickly as I used to do 60. Whoopsie! :laugh: I've had to learn to ease off the gas a bit earlier in some instances.
[/b]
it is nice to see how one of my post is developing nicely. I just complete a 110 miles round trip to my friend's house. My review is that my car feels powerful since the begining and when you press the gas it really goes. eventhough i have not really driven the car hard I am able to notice that the engine is a bit more powerfull. Before the install I did not feel any power on the accelator pedal, but now I do notice some heavy pulling coming from the engine. I have not driven the car pass 65 with the cpe yet, i am going to try when i don't have my wife and daughter with me. yes you must be carefull with the speed and the burst of power because it was not there before. one thing that is difficult to get used to is the roar from underneath the engine bay. it really sounds like a v8 :)

·
Premium Member
7,221 Posts
Glad you like your setup dag, though I have no idea why you would say its running quieter... it should be ROARING!

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Glad you like your setup dag, though I have no idea why you would say its running quieter... it should be ROARING!
[/b]
at idle the engine is more serene i meant to say.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I installed the CPE Intake last weekend and I am extremely happy with the performance. I'll echo previous comments about improved passing performance and improved gas mileage. I did back-to-back trips Detroit-Saginaw in my 6s MTX and my Mercury Milan MTX (I4) and got 25.5 and 27.5 mpg respectively (doing 80+ on the freeway). Previously, I was seeing more like a 4-5 mpg difference between the I4 and the V6.

I replaced the engine mount at the same time. In addition to the increased "throaty" engine note (especially past 2500 rpm!), the engine seems to rumble and shake more at idle. I assume this is due to the stiffer engine mount? My idle speed is 750 rpm when warmed up, and it is rock steady, but you can "feel" the engine more. Anyone else notice this?

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
dag,
i'm glad the old mafci lives on!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
About this Discussion
19 Replies
10 Participants
mk706
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing