3.0 L
5 spd AT
sport pkg
BOSE
black leather
moonroof
heated seats, mirrors

Appearance:
I finally got to see my car today in full sunlight, (was dark when I picked it up last night) and that steel gray is damn nice and dark as phuc (co worker asked if it was black); now just need some tint to finish it off.

Driving Impressions:
After three trips here' s a summary

1. dealer to house (37 miles highway)

Nice ride, got behind a semi carrying pine trees though and almost shat myself when the tree bark and dirt started flying at me like zeros over pearl harbor, but a little flick of the leather wrapped wheel and one tap of the right foot and problem solved.

2. House to store and back (7 miles city)

Chance to use the manual shift mode. Got to the store parked in BFE at the top of the hill (avoiding shopping carts) went inside for 4 minutes came out and there were 2 F-250's parked right next to me (WTF??) One with a trailer and all kinds of landscaping equipement hanging off it just reaching over to scratch whatever dare come close to it. There are 150+ empty parking spots and they had to park next to me.

3. House to work (13 miles city/highway)

Nothing better then heated leather seats in the morning.

4. Manual Shift Mode (Priceless)

One word, DAMN

Interior:

Very nice, better than I would have ever expected from a mazda. Controls are a little different but don't take long to get used to. Big ass trunk (could fit at least 2-3 bodies in there for you jersey guys, or about 7-8 midgets)

Lighting:

Headlights are very nice, Headlights with fogs even better (fills the sides of the road with light great for spotting cats, dogs and in Georgia, possums).

Audio:

Only listened to the radio so far, don't own any CD's (I know 23 year old with no CD's WTF? but I just don't have any) but it is pretty stout. Controls on the steering wheel very nice.

Only problem so far is a slight rattle in drivers door somewhere with the bass turned all the way to +6, but I plan to investigate and eliminate it.

Also hear that "clunk" in front driver's side when at slow speed turning or slowing to turn left (can't remember exactly when).

Overall:

Can't wait to get off work and do some commuting, I know I paid way to much for my car but they found the exact car I wanted and so far it is worth every penny
(2.8 * 10^6+ pennies, but whose counting)

Updates:

Revision 1: 1/10/03

While the manual shift mode is wicked awsome be careful while in m1 cause you will hit the redline (aka. fuel cutoff) before you can even crack a smile ( not too bad though car kind of bucks once to let you know to slap the happy stick, unlike my old car (95 neon) which would bounce off the rev limiter until you complied.)

I know there was some concern about the spoiler and visibilty issues through the back window/rear view mirror. I have found it to be barely noticible. I am about 6'1" and the spoiler barely creeps into my rear view mirror. I have found the reflection of the Bose emblem and speaker cover more distracting than the spoiler but only under certain lighting conditions.

Also got Insurance today, premium's about $1300/yr

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
Replying to Topic 'Impressions 21 hours after delivery'

Nice review. Very positive. Good thing. That's the exact specs of mine. Can't wait to see PIIIICCSS!! :D

·
Registered
96 Posts

Originally posted by ojdidit

2. House to store and back (7 miles city)

Chance to use the manual shift mode. Got to the store parked in BFE at the top of the hill (avoiding shopping carts) went inside for 4 minutes came out and there were 2 F-250's parked right next to me (WTF??) One with a trailer and all kinds of landscaping equipement hanging off it just reaching over to scratch whatever dare come close to it. There are 150+ empty parking spots and they had to park next to me.[/b]
Why do these guys always do that? I used to own a 99 Accord coupe, which has very ding-prone slab sides. Becuase of this, I was very careful about where I parked it. I still got dings. It's inexcusable: do you know how hard you have to bang a door into another car to cause a ding?

Can't wait to get off work and do some commuting, I know I paid way to much for my car but they found the exact car I wanted and so far it is worth every penny  
(2.8 * 10^6+ pennies, but whose counting)[/b]
Yeah, the car is certainly worth ever penny, but does that mean you didn't get a cent off of MSRP? Yikes...

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Yes, MSRP plus fees, plus a service contract (they got me on that one); and 7% tax in my county.

Man that $500 college graduate rebate did me a lot of good

·
Registered
82 Posts

23 years old huh? Yup me too, it was tough between the M6 and the Mustang GT, but practacality won...and the M6 looks and moves pretty damn good anyway

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts

Nice review! Congrats!

Torgo; I hate dings. I always park at the far end of the lot when shopping, and if it's a lot of cars in there, I go another day. Or, in worst case, I park between two other new cars (with no child seats/toys inside).

I know some people have started to park on the line between two lots, so they have plenty space on each side...but it's not popular. But better being impopular than having the car full of dings....:sarc

·
Registered
96 Posts

Originally posted by Steve 6er
Torgo; I hate dings. I always park at the far end of the lot when shopping, and if it's a lot of cars in there, I go another day. Or, in worst case, I park between two other new cars (with no child seats/toys inside).[/b]
Yeah, at least the 6 has a protective strip of plastic, the Accord didn't even have that (until I bought it as a dealer accessory)

I know some people have started to park on the line between two lots, so they have plenty space on each side...but it's not popular. But better being impopular than having the car full of dings....:sarc[/b]
I kind of think that's over the line. IMO this almost calls for the 'ol "let the air out of the tires gag. Not that I've ever done than before...;)

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts

Originally posted by Torgo

Originally posted by Steve 6er
Torgo; I hate dings. I always park at the far end of the lot when shopping, and if it's a lot of cars in there, I go another day. Or, in worst case, I park between two other new cars (with no child seats/toys inside).[/b]
Yeah, at least the 6 has a protective strip of plastic, the Accord didn't even have that (until I bought it as a dealer accessory)

I know some people have started to park on the line between two lots, so they have plenty space on each side...but it's not popular. But better being impopular than having the car full of dings....:sarc[/b]
I kind of think that's over the line. IMO this almost calls for the 'ol "let the air out of the tires gag. Not that I've ever done than before...;) [/b][/quote]

My old 626 had that plastic too, but due to different design on all cars, it's never in the right place...:sarc

On or over...damn, it's hard to pick the right prep's...:)

·
Registered
76 Posts

Yeah...nice review man! Congrats on your new toy...heh =D

Where are the pics pics pics? (I know they're coming...heh) :hoho

I'm waiting on the same exact car as well 'cept the 6i model. I'm curious to see what my baby will look like. I haven't gotten a chance to sample one w/ a BOSE system so question - how's the bass of SUB in the back and how do you like the system overall? I know it's only been a few days but I know you're probably driving it nonstop and listenening to the stereo just as much (hopefully gotten some CD's to play too...lol)!!

-NY Mazda6

"get jiggilin baby" :tit

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Pics are on the way (just got back from bestbuy and my wallet 5 bills lighter).

The Bose is a good start, and good enough for my needs, but I'm sure it will not be enough for the avid audio enthsiasts. The steering wheel audio controls are wicked, mute button very useful. The Sub doesen't takes up any trunk space and overall the system is fine for me but it probably won't please everyone.

·
Registered
96 Posts

Originally posted by NY Mazda6
I haven't gotten a chance to sample one w/ a BOSE system so question - how's the bass of SUB in the back and how do you like the system overall? I know it's only been a few days but I know you're probably driving it nonstop and listenening to the stereo just as much (hopefully gotten some CD's to play too...lol)!![/b]
I've got the Bose and it's definitly worth the extra money. I compared it to the Accord's stereo (it's clearly better) and the Altima's (which is about the same if not better).

I listen to everything from Tribe Called Quest to David Holmes to Nick Drake and the Bose does well with all of them. The bass is nice and clean if not earth shakingly bold. The highs are extremely well defined and probably the best part of the sound. The mids are slightly depressed but still adequate. The point is that I'm sure that you could do even better with an aftermarket system but it would be more expensive, sloppy looking and only slightly better sounding. Factory installs are always the best in terms of looks, lack of sympathetic vibrations and integration into the car. There's no reason to sacrifice all of that for a slight gain in sound quality.

·
Registered
464 Posts

$1300/year insurance isnt too bad at all. Do you use a big carrier or is it a small company? Makes me happier since been wondering about that. Almost what I pay now for my little Nissan.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

I have State Farm, but I should warn you my family has had a policy with them for years and I have no accidents/tickets & good student discount (somehow,I already graduated) and the lady at the office hooked me up by transfering my old policy over to the 6 and doing the new application on my old car (95 neon) and saved me a bunch of money up front. I also live in somewhat rural Goergia where COL is a little lower, I've heard of some people up north, New york especially with yearly premiums of 3-4K+

·
Registered
657 Posts

Yeah, for me in NYC I'm paying about $4500/year, and that's the cheapest I found. That's with a 3 year old accident (coming off in 4 months); over 25 discount, ect. :(

1 - 15 of 15 Posts