Mazda 6 Forums banner

Immobilizer issues. won't start, red light on dash and on push-to-start button

10K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  gdvarma 
#1 ·
My 2009 Mazda6 with advanced keyless entry with fob and push to start has been having immobilization issues. My key fob works fine to unlock the doors but will not start the car.

The car has put itself into immobilization mode 3 times now (red light on dash and red light on push to start button). The first time I had let the battery in the fob die, which had never happened before. I replaced battery in fob and took car to the dealership to get it unlocked. The car worked fine for about a month and it put itself into immobilization mode again. Took to the dealership and ordered a new key fob per their recommendation. Car worked for about a week and put itself into immobilization mode again. I have already spent $900 and need to troubleshoot myself now.

I think it might be the Ignition immobilizer module (part # GS3M66938A) that needs to be replaced. I have removed this from the steering column but I am not sure how to test it. It has 8 pins but I am having trouble locating any wiring diagrams.

Any help or suggestions are appreciated.

#3 · (Edited)
Welcome back! Your account says your joined last 2010 and you only made three posts.

These guys, @DrFeelGood and @Oppa , might have a diagram or something else to say.

In my opinion, the dealer should have a warranty for the job. And you spent $900 for it?
Thanks! I bought this car brand new in 2009 and it's been a great car over the past decade. Unfortunately, it is well outside of a warranty period with about 175,000 miles.

The $900 was for multiple trips. They are charging me $160 to disable the immobilizer which involves them reaching out to Mazda corporate to get some code. They suggested replacing the key fob since it was the original. Seemed logical to me since it is over 10 years old. The new key fob and programming was over $750 which seemed high but I did not want to get a third-party key when the car is already having problems identifying the key fob and going into anti-theft immobilization mode.

With the key fob replaced the next logical part to test (in my opinion) is the ignition mobilizer module. Does anyone know if I can test resistance or any was to determine if it is functioning correctly. I saw in another forum post that this part is not repairable. Before I replace it, then take it to the dealership for them to program I would like to determine the part has failed.

I have talked to two dealerships about this advanced keyless system. The dealership A told me that I can not replace just the ignition mobilizer module without also replacing the pcm, speedometer and a handful of antennas at the same time. The total estimated cost was $3500 but they claimed they could not get a new pcm.

Dealership B told me that I can replace parts one at a time and the old pcm and speedometer will be able to be used with a new ignition mobilizer module, if thats the part that has failed. Their cost is $195 diagnostic plus parts and labor.

Here is the ignition immobilizer module that came off the steering column.

Wood Wood stain Floor Flooring Hardwood

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.