Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hrmm where should i start.. i am soon to be a mazda 6 owner but then found out about the MPS 6.. so i researched and read everything you great people had to offer.. i know its only a concept and is going to be sold in parts of europe.. but how about the good ol USA.. the situation is kinda hazy.. im not really understanding it.. so i'll ask once and only once.. DO YOU think it'll hit the market in the US and will it be here before 2005..

·
Registered
75 Posts
Reading Topic: I'm new here, i'd like some ANSWERS!

No. The next mazdaspeed vehicle is the Miata, not the 6. And that is backed up by mazda's president.

·
Registered
90 Posts

I wonder if Mazda is taking a closer look at Mitsubishi's sales of the EVO and, when it is released, Subaru's sales of the WRX STi. Let other companies test the waters out here and see how the market responds to these types of cars. Then probably, hopefully, release the MPS 6..

But then again, there's the RX-8... You release the MPS 6 at almost the same price of the RX-8 and Mazda would probably be competing against itself. Although, I'd still pick the 6... I've always liked 4doors.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts

The RX-8 and MazdaSpeed 6 would appeal to different buyers, I think. Many 8 buyers are and will be die hard wankel heads and sports car nuts. The MazdaSpeed 6 should go after a more refined segment. Upgraded interior materials and a few doodad gadgets to go along with the powertrain should go a long way toward that. The MPS 6 seemed to be in line with that thinking. The performance won't be world beating, but it will be very competitive with entry level Audis and BMWs.

Evo and STi sales will only tell so much. They'll sell every one they make, but the total of both will be about 10,000 cars. Plus there's been pent up demand for both of these semi-legendary cars over here. Mazda has no such cachet with the rally and Gran Turismo fans.

As for the original poster's questios: the simple answer is nobody knows. There has been no confirmation of a MazdaSpeed 6 for North America. I personally do think it will come over here. Why? Because the MazdaSpeed franchise is an important part of Mazda's recovery strategy. They are planning on MazdaSpeed versions of their entire core line (RX-8, Miata, 6, 3). When will it get here and in what form? Again, nobody knows.

·
Registered
9 Posts

I was told by a rep at the Denver Auto SHow in March, that eventually there will be a Mazdaspeed version of every vehicle in the lineup, including the MPV. She indicated to me that the Speed6 was coming. Now the details are neither here or there, but I am confident that Mazda will follow through with this, as it would be a great step to make a name for themselves in a market in which there share is minimal. MazdaSpeed certianly fits in with the "commitment" to the creation of a ZoomZoom culture.

It has been mentioned, but she did also tell me that Mazda really is desirous of becoming the Japanese BMW. There is no car in their current lineup that would fit that mold better than the 6. I desperately want the Speed6 (in its current MPS form) AWD in Colorado is almost a must.

·
Registered
895 Posts
Replying to Topic 'I'm new here, i'd like some ANSWERS!'

Originally posted by (XrIeSvlis)

I wonder if Mazda is taking a closer look at Mitsubishi's sales of the EVO and, when it is released, Subaru's sales of the WRX STi.  Let other companies test the waters out here and see how the market responds to these types of cars.  Then probably, hopefully, release the MPS 6..

But then again, there's the RX-8... You release the MPS 6 at almost the same price of the RX-8 and Mazda would probably be competing against itself.  Although, I'd still pick the 6... I've always liked 4doors.[/b]
The RX-8 has 4 doors, doesn't it? Two are going the wrong way, but still... :D

·
Registered
90 Posts
Replying to Topic 'I'm new here, i'd like some ANSWERS!'

Originally posted by Arcanlaw

Originally posted by (XrIeSvlis)

I wonder if Mazda is taking a closer look at Mitsubishi's sales of the EVO and, when it is released, Subaru's sales of the WRX STi.  Let other companies test the waters out here and see how the market responds to these types of cars.  Then probably, hopefully, release the MPS 6..

But then again, there's the RX-8... You release the MPS 6 at almost the same price of the RX-8 and Mazda would probably be competing against itself.  Although, I'd still pick the 6... I've always liked 4doors.[/b]
The RX-8 has 4 doors, doesn't it? Two are going the wrong way, but still... :D [/b][/quote]

I wonder if the 2 'backwards' doors would help on the insurance.... just like 'backseats' help on some 2-seaters.

·
Registered
39 Posts

The 8 is rigid as hell too, the way it is desgined. All things considered it should help on the insurance quotes but I emphasize *should*. Tbird may be right on the Miata which we'll perhaps see as a 2004? but I don't think anybody has seen or heard a thing about it. Mark my words the 6MPS is coming as a Mazdaspeed 6. We'll see it as a 2005 I suppose as Europe will be getting it this fall as an '04.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts