Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have another thread where I was saying that after changing wheels it seemed like my wheels has way too much negative camber. So when I had the performance alignment, I had them dial out the camber. Big mistake!

All seemed fine until I tried some high-speed corners on the new tollway (~80mph+). The back end felt like it'd come out at any second, gave me a real hair raising experience! I've already pinged Soulspeed and will be taking it back to dial back in the camber to where it was before I made a foolish decision to have them change it.

Only purpose of this thread is to let others know that if you change wheels, don't let the illusion of more more negative camber on the rear axle scare you. If you change it you'll find out the hard way, and could end up in the wall like I came REAL close to doing today!

·
Registered
6,771 Posts
So perhaps the rear-only bar is okay then, eh? ;)

Seriously, glad you made it out of the event safe.

·
Registered
583 Posts
man glad you're ok. i was scared to even push new tires let alone with the camber set different. where is the new tollway?

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So perhaps the rear-only bar is okay then, eh? ;)

Seriously, glad you made it out of the event safe.
[/b]

Heh, with the camber set as it is now AND that whiteline bar, there would have been some serious TTO taking place, I really might have collected the wall then :)

where is the new tollway?
[/b]
Just north of Austin, they've opened like 20 miles of it so far. It's pretty cool, lots of long sweeping corners and a super SMOOTH road surface. Could be a good start for the meet :)

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Any numbers on what the camber was before and what they changed it to?
[/b]
No, I kicked myself after the scare I had for not getting the print out from the Hunter Alignment system, I should have. Definitely will when I take it back this week :)

I'll post the results once I get them

·
Registered
36 Posts
man, glad you're alright 4wdfun. The tolls are really tempting for speeding.. I'm sorry to say but I beat you to breaking it in. LOL. I was on the new toll within an hour of it opening for some fun. New road, flat and absolutely nobody on the road.

Watch out now though. DPS and Travis/Williamson county are patrolling the toll now big time.

repo

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
UPDATE

Got the numbers from the hunter. When I brought it in, it was at -1.5 degrees camber. He dialed in out a bit to where it's now -.75 degrees. Not a huge change. The thinking on why I was so loose at hi-speed, and I'd agree, is that the tires still had less than 100 miles on them and thus still had the oil they use to allow tires to be stored for long periods without being mounted. I've crossed 300 miles on them, and they seem MUCH stickier. That said, I have not tried another 80+ mph corner, so we'll see.

I do plan on spending the money and dialing back in the -camber before I go racing, maybe even up to -2 front, -2.5 rear. From what I understand, it'll give you a LOT more feel before you loose adhesion to the track. It'll stick now, but there's a razor thin margin for error. Dialing in more negative camber would give you more leeway.

Anyway, that's the update. And yes, I'm still an idiot for doing what I did

1 - 9 of 9 Posts