Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ever had it happen where you know how to do something, say 2+2=4. you know what the answer is, you know how it works....but sometimes you don't notice that it says 2+2=5....cause that doesn't make sense, so your brain corrects it...?

i hope i'm not the only one anyway

well as some know, my car has been "down" for a few weeks now. boosting 16psi popped a tube off the intake manifold as well as the lil cap i put on one of the nipples (that was a bitch to figure out). well since i took down the car, which was a day before mazdafest, to figure out what was wrong ( i had no idea i blew a hose and vacuum cap for the first day, just idled at 3k for some reason?) i lost the functionality of my boost controller. which isn't super bad, but i have been limited to 8psi as well as it's not as responsive without the controller.

...ANYHOW, i was playing with the car again, took the solenoid off AGAIN (5th time maybe now) to look at it. ran current through this time to see if it worked, blew into the ports to see if everything was working fine....it was, so i just reconnected it. I'd thought i connected the hoses to the pressure port and WG actuator backwards, so already swapped em back and forth like 8 times. then i started driving down the street to pay my insurance bill....and BAM...how the hell did i have that connected???

i never thought to check the solenoid connections as it's simple, 3 ports, long one stays open, straight out for pressure, other side for wastegate actuator...simple. then i just pictured it in my head, in combination with the air sound i've been hearing....shit, i have the hose on the long port?!?!? stopped in a parking lot (could wait to get home) to confirm and change...didn't have tools, so was only able to burn my arm, not change the hose. turned around, went home (i'll pay insurance later) and changed the hoses.

....16psi....i'm back!!!

sorry guys, even though 8psi is great, don't get me wrong. but after spending all that money on the new engine and not boosting more is like putting a block under your pedal so you can only go 50% all the time...it's ok, just not as much fun as it could be.

thanks for listening...if you want to comment feel free, call me an idiot or something....but i'm a faster idiot now!

·
Super Moderator
9,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah, it will come, but it's "pointless" to me before the exhaust. HiBoost's protege gained 20hp on the dyno going from stock to 3" at 10psi. i'm going from 2.3 to 3" so won't be as much...but i'm also going to be looking for 18psi....so we'll see.

i don't want to have to dyno again, money is kinda tight, so i'm just gonna wait for the downpipe.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Good deal.

I'm surprised you are not maxing those injectors out at 16psi. Becareful and don't let something small like injectors ruin your day.

And I wanted to be the first to max out the IHI. :lol:

Herb

·
Super Moderator
9,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i thought the injectors would be an issue too, been watching A/F a lot....especially since i run up to 8k now. even on 9psi you'd see 100% duty on the injectors by 6k or so. been talking with Nik for a bit, might be going with some larger injectors that he's gonna be using on the fusion...not sure yet.

thanks for the input also guys!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts