Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The pretty sign told me to, honest.
Okay, so I don't see many (any) threads of this sort, but it's the Newbie Section, and the pseudoephed in my cold meds is making me a bit peaky, so I'm saying hello.

I'm a longtime member (and sometimes poster) over on the Mazda 3 forums that happen to be laid out a lot like this one (www.mazda3forums.com). The last year or so, I've been going there to read idly about 6 stuff, since my interest has changed. And then I wondered if perhaps there was a similar forum for the 6. Google being my friend, it found me this one (the Internet is a wonderful thing), and here I am!

I'm here by accident. I was never a Mazda 6 fan. When they came out, I thought they looked a bit funny, especially at night, and I wasn't impressed by the all-silver console.
I travel(ed) a lot for work--with the .gov--and the guys at Enterprise probably know more about me than my fiancée does. One day, they stick me in a Mazda 3 (shortly after it came out), which was pretty fun, and infinitely more entertaining than the usual Impala. It was really nice, but that was all.

This summer, I'm doing way more travelling than normal, and apparently the Mazda 6 is selling way less than normal, because my local Enterprise--not a big branch by any stretch of the imagination--has five of them, brand-new 2006 models. These guys love me, so most everything I drive has under 5000km on it, some less than 1000km. The silver GS-I4 they give me has a lofty 238km. It still smells new, and nobody's had a chance to mess it up. I've never driven stick, but I understand the concept well enough that it's handy to have a manumatic. I'm not expecting much, though.

As an aside, I used to work for Mercedes Canada, and I had a lot of exposure to really expensive, really fast cars. I rode shotgun in most of them (I was 20 and didn't belong at the helm of anything with 350HP), but eventually got to drive most of the inventory at one point or another. I fell in love with an SLK320, not because it was the fastest or most plush car around, but because from the moment I sat down, it knew exactly what I wanted, and did just that. Being spoiled by M-B automatics is probably why I never bothered to learn stick.

In more than three years of searching, I had never found anything that felt quite like that (although this one rental black '06 Charger was fun, in a so-fast-I'd-get-arrested-or-killed-if-I-owned-it sort of way). Until I sat down in that base-model rental Mazda 6.

It's hard to describe the feeling; it's not exactly fast, but it's quick and nimble. It's no Porsche, but doesn't need to be, because it goes exactly where I want it to, even if I don't quite point it there myself; it just knows. I had four of them this summer (the silver, a dark grey, a beautiful bright blue, and another silver one), and racked up at least 7,000km on them. Each of them felt like the first; more an extension of me than a car I'm riding in. And just like that, I'm hooked.

I'll be shopping for a car next summer anyway, when I hit the insurance bi-fecta of turning 25 and getting married within the span of a couple months, and now I know what I'm after. I might never do 205kph in a 100, but that's probably for the best... and my fiancée thought the Charger was scary (not to mention taller than she was) anyway.
I'm hoping the slow-selling continues, so I can get a good deal on one, and so Enterprise continues to stock them in the meantime... because if I end up with another Taurus for a rental, I'm going to stab myself in the face.

I'm not usually this long-winded, though :D

·
Premium Member
7,221 Posts
Hi and welcome to your new drug :D No more need for psuedoehepdrine to get a bit "peaky" ;)

·
Premium Member
4,053 Posts
It's hard to describe the feeling; it's not exactly fast, but it's quick and nimble. It's no Porsche, but doesn't need to be, because it goes exactly where I want it to, even if I don't quite point it there myself; it just knows. I had four of them this summer (the silver, a dark grey, a beautiful bright blue, and another silver one), and racked up at least 7,000km on them. Each of them felt like the first; more an extension of me than a car I'm riding in. And just like that, I'm hooked.
[/b]
That's the 'zoom-zoom' feeling! Even this morning I was driving to work and said to myself "I love this car!" :drive:

·
Registered
475 Posts
This car is definitely like no other.

Enjoy, and wait for the modding bug to kick in.
[/b]
my thoughts exacty and congrats on the new fix... i mean 6. lol :seeya: :wavey:

·
Registered
199 Posts
:wavey:
Welcome to the most addicting car you will ever find! The handling you speak of - thats the "zoom-zoom" kicking in and is one of the greatest feelings ever! And I'm excited that you got to drive the best color ever - the Bright Island Blue (FTW!!!)!!! :D

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the welcome, everyone. And it's good to know that "zoom zoom" was more than just the only lines of that creepy little British kid on the commercials :D

·
Registered
34 Posts
Now you gotta go download the zoom zoom song (from the Only The Strong soundtrack) and put it on a cd repeating over and over and over..

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Wow...what kind of cold med was that again? :p
Welcome to the world of the 6. Enjoy!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts