Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off, I AM a moron, overzealous impatient moron....

On to the story

Giving my MS6 its first wash and wax, still had lots of the residue from shipping on the paint and wheels. On the paint it all came off easy, for some reason on the wheels it would not. On previous cars with alloy wheels I just used a green scrastchy pad, and it worked, and it NEVER damaged the wheels, and I scrubbed HARD on those wheels! DON'T FREAK YET. I GENTLY, barely put ANY pressure with an absurdly soapy and soft scratch pad took all of the residue off of my wheels, and when they dried I have little tiny scratches, so apparently these wheels have a MUCH softer finish than my previous cars!

Any Ideas on what i can use to buff them out without further damage...

What really pisses me off is that I HAVE A WARRANTY, but i have never owned a NEW car before and thus didn;t even think of that as an option, I am sure if i went in for service and said, "Hey i still have crap on my wheels get it off" they would have done it FOR me... even when you stand up you can barely tell and I bet after I 10 mile trip they will be blended in by dirt and road grim but I know they are there and it will bug me... grrrrr

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
First off, I AM a moron, overzealous impatient moron....

On to the story

Giving my MS6 its first wash and wax, still had lots of the residue from shipping on the paint and wheels. On the paint it all came off easy, for some reason on the wheels it would not. On previous cars with alloy wheels I just used a green scrastchy pad, and it worked, and it NEVER damaged the wheels, and I scrubbed HARD on those wheels! DON'T FREAK YET. I GENTLY, barely put ANY pressure with an absurdly soapy and soft scratch pad took all of the residue off of my wheels, and when they dried I have little tiny scratches, so apparently these wheels have a MUCH softer finish than my previous cars!

Any Ideas on what i can use to buff them out without further damage...

What really pisses me off is that I HAVE A WARRANTY, but i have never owned a NEW car before and thus didn;t even think of that as an option, I am sure if i went in for service and said, "Hey i still have crap on my wheels get it off" they would have done it FOR me... even when you stand up you can barely tell and I bet after I 10 mile trip they will be blended in by dirt and road grim but I know they are there and it will bug me... grrrrr
[/b]
If they are really tiny, shallow scratches, try a little mild polish - or rubbing compound. Meguiar's Scratch-X should work, even if it will be a little time-consuming.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
i would try scratch x, and if you have access to a porter cable then use that with meguires #83. but if they are big scratches then you will probably have to take it a pros shop to get it fixed.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
They are small surface scratches only, I used meguires #16 Professional carnuba wax and it covered it up prety well but i really don't feel like waxing these intricate wheels everytime I wash my car. I will try a very find rubbing compound and see what I get, if it doesnt work, maybe I will powder coat them black....

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Make sure it is clear coat rated compound. If that doesn't work, definitely try the Scratch-X. That will surely take care of any fine scratches, even if it will be a bit of work, though probably not more than you did when you put them in there. :)

The coating used is a special paint - it's more rubbery. A lot of manufacturers are using it on lower panels because it flexes more than paint and doesn't chip as easily if hit with rocks. But it is a little softer than normal auto paint.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts