Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a little confused, is it possible with the base head unit to create your own RCA outs?

I've been trying to follow the audio modifications threads on the subject, but I'm having a hard time telling which stereo (Bose or Base) you guys are modding. I have the base unit, and I was under the impression you could create RCA outs rather than using a speaker level LOC, if you could figure out the wiring. Am I correct on this? Is anyone working on the base unit? Has anyone figured the wires out? If you did figure the wiring out, what do you do from there? Sorry if this thread in redundent, but I'm trying to get some clarification. Many thanks.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Reading Topic: I'm a little confused, is it possible with the base head unit to create your own RCA

Well, the whole reason for an LOC is to add RCA outs. It doesn't matter if they're from inside the deck, or ran from the speaker wire, the signal is the same. Why the aversion to the LOC? it won't change the quality at all, and it's a hell of a lot easier to just add an LOC to your instal than mod the internals on a deck.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Reading Topic: I'm a little confused, is it possible with the base head unit to create your own RCA

I thought if you basically made RCA outs from the speaker wire with a LOC, you would still have to deal with any distortion caused by the interal HU amp. Does the LOC fix that problem? Does it clean up the signal? I would like to bypass the internal amp if possible.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Replying to Topic 'I'm a little confused, is it possible with the base head unit to create your ow

Originally posted by Brillo

I thought if you basically made RCA outs from the speaker wire with a LOC, you would still have to deal with any distortion caused by the interal HU amp. Does the LOC fix that problem? Does it clean up the signal? I would like to bypass the internal amp if possible.[/b]
This is true. On the base stereo, we continue to speculate that it is possible to tap into the 6's wiring to create your own RCA outs. They are not there from the factory. Unfortunately, our talk is just that- speculation. As of right now, the easiest (and only proven) way to add RCA outs is a line-out converter.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

When you say that is true, are you referring to the distortion or the fact there is a possibilty to add your own RCA's by figuring out the wires.

·
Registered
315 Posts

Well, the whole reason for an LOC is to add RCA outs. It doesn't matter if they're from inside the deck, or ran from the speaker wire, the signal is the same. Why the aversion to the LOC? it won't change the quality at all, and it's a hell of a lot easier to just add an LOC to your instal than mod the internals on a deck.

I disagree. Using speaker level and then bringing it down to line level does have more noise as the signal to noise ratio is higher in that setup. Using line level out prior to amplifying the signal will result in a cleaner signal to the new amp. If there is an outboard amp, after the headunit, then it should very easy to create a break out box so as to have the needed RCA's to connect to a new amp. I'm guessing that the Bose system will allow this as it uses an outboard amp.

I'm not sure about the standard 6 disc system, which is an option but is NOT a Bose setup.
If that system uses an outboard amp as well, RCA's will be possible.

Tome

·
Registered
1,016 Posts

I think your question has pretty much been answered but I will put in my two cents worth anyway.

I have nothing against LOC's but the problem is you have to attach them after an onboard or outboard amplifier. Any signal distortion will hit the LOC be converted to RCA, then input to the aftermarket amp. The aftermarket amp will amplify the signal..distortion and all...and out it will come....many times louder and worse than when it was originally produced.

The other problem is that speaker wires have a lower tolerance for line noise than RCA's. However you have to connect the LOC within 2' of the amp. So now you are stuck with a long line noise collecting speaker wire run from the factory HU back to the LOC which then amplifies any distortion from the HU in addition to any line noise the speaker wires picked up along the way. RCA wires are designed to minimize crosstalk by surrounding the positive wires with a negative field as well as thicker insulation and gold plated connectors, all of which you lose once you switch to speaker wires.

(BTW if you've seen some of my other posts...I am modding the base HU. Didn't get to get the Bose:( would have been a 12wk wait.)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts