Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If they look like this:

Progressive Eibach

they are progressive, or more exactly dual rate.

From a tech rep, kg rates: (5-15-07)

drops __ rates

Pro Kits

6i Sedan, 1.5 1.4 __ ( 5.1 ?)F 3.6R .... made in germany

6S Sedan, 1.5 1.4 __ 4.4F 3.6R ... 13% stiffer front, 38% stiffer rear

6i Wagon, 1.6 1.6 __ 5.1F 4.1R ... estimated, these would be for 6i hatches in US

6S Wagon, 1.6 1.6 __ 5.8F 4.1R ... 50+% stiffer than stock!

Sportline

6S Sedan, 2.0 1.5 __ (4.4/6.1)F (2.3/4.3)R ... both progressive, with big kick in rate

Note: 6S and 6i hatch owners should buy wagon springs.
6i hatch with Eib 6i wagon springs

Stock rates are about 3.9F 2.6R

( ? ) notes the 6i pro-kit sedan springs:

eibach claimed 4.1/5.1 progressives up front
most current pics show them as near linear, like panama's.
soft rate involves just 1 coil, and likely lost with car weight alone.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I do not understand why they would mix types, I think the car would be less predictable with the rate going through the roof on big bumps.

My biggest gripe about the 6 handling (after 3 mos) is that the dampers cant control the rear springs on big bumps so the rear bounces and likes to "step out" in sweepers when you hit a bump. My Contour did not have that problem before or after suspension mods so it is a bit unsettling. Thanks for the info though.

Any idea of what the stock spring rates are?

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
agreed ... those rear dual rates are crude, with big change in rate. normally for trucks or wagons for high cargo loads, not handling.
May be why stretch did not like them.

RB springs have modest drop and 20% rate increase ... then trim bump cushions, no more step out. Shocks alone may do it too.

(helps to have your model specs in signature . yr, sedan i, s etc)

·
Registered
498 Posts
Man, I've been looking for this info for a while.

The MS6 Eibach kit is the same as the V6 so this explains why people have complained the rear end is a little sloppy compared to stock. Stock MS6 is 280/185 so at 131 the rate is much lower however if you drive the car hard, it should stiffen up. Perhaps some of the added weight forces the spring into a stiffer position right off the bat too....and that is why Eibach didn't develop an additional set for the MS6.

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
I wouldn't say having a dual rate spring is bad. The KW coilovers for the 6 have dual spring rates in the front, although they use seperate springs it's the same idea. Consider the Sportline springs to be 342F and 239R when the car is on the ground. These are then the stiffest springs for the 6 with the exception of the Megan Racing rear spring which is at 250.

·
Registered
5,757 Posts
Does KW just use a helper spring to keep the main spring in place, or do they use a tender spring (which acts as a softer progression of the spring)? Some progressive springs (and all helper springs) can be considered "dead coils" because the car never actually unloads enough to be on the softer coils. For example, if running a large sway bar, odds are your inside springs will never fully decompress in a turn.

That said, having a progressive spring rate- if indeed the car is actually getting into the softer progression- is definately bad for performance. As you approach a turn, the car will momentarily get light and experience a loss of grip. Your center of gravity will rise up and you'll experience more weight transfer around the vehicle. I drew a picture illustrating this:
[attachment=23990:progress...rings_1_.gif]

Eibach advices you to keep your full length rear bump stops. This is terrible advice, as it generates a very progressive spring rate and unpredictability.

Kevin, I recall the rear springs looking linear. The progression came from the bump stops only. It's been a while since I've had them, though, and back then I was a bit naive to this stuff. So, don't trust my memory, but I recall them looking linear front and rear. Someone with pictures could surely prove me wrong!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
Actually Stretch the instructions that came with my Eibach Sportlines required cutting of the rear bumpstops.

KW uses a helper spring, it's fully compressed when the car is on the ground.

·
Registered
5,757 Posts
No kidding? Well that's good- I obviously didn't like how the car felt on the bump stops.

A helper spring (on the KWs) usually has a spring rate of 10lb/in or so. I think KW may use 50lb/in springs, but in either case, those are used only to compensate for a shock with too much droop travel. They're there to hold the spring and place and should not be considered part of the real spring rate. Short of getting airborn, that helper spring will never decompress in actual use.

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
I bought my Eibach Pro Kit (6i) 3 years ago. What kind of springs are?
Sold like Progressive

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
If you read in the box, said something about "Progressive" :swearin:

Eibach Pro Kit (left) and OEM Mazda (right)

OEM Maza (left) and Eibach Pro Kit (right)

OEM Mazda

·
Registered
5,757 Posts
Some are, some are not.

see updated Eibach rates in 1st post.[/b]
You still list the 6i springs as being progressive, but that's exactly what I ran and what Scorpion is showing you above. (That is, unless we were both sent the wrong kits.)

That's very interesting how the Sportlines are so much firmer in the rear than the front. I bet I would have liked that a lot. How many winds of soft coils are there, do you know? Maybe they have just a "dead" coil or two, which wouldn't be that big of a deal.

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
Springs in pic are not progressive. More mis-info from Eibach. Any part number for set? like 5542.140 ?[/b]
Yeah

Eibach (left) and OEM (right)

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
... How many winds of soft coils are there, do you know? Maybe they have just a "dead" coil or two, which wouldn't be that big of a deal.[/b]
Based on front rates, the stiff/soft ratio is 1.25. Assuming mostly consistent coil diameters, there would be 1/1.25 = 80% of active coils are wide spaced.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
About this Discussion
18 Replies
8 Participants
KevinK2
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing