Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The manual says 6qt's for an oil change. (great i can't just buy 1 5qt jug)... when you changed the oil... how much oil did you drain? the used oil was slightly more than 5qt's which I conlude means I'm burning oil.

anyone else get similar results?

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
I think it depends on the year actually, but im not sure. Mine holds like 5 and some change, which could be the bits left over in the block, cuz you never get it all out. But 5 to 6 qt's works. And dont bother with a jug, get a case, most of the good syth's come in a 6 pack.

·
Registered
3,546 Posts
Correct, oil comes in a 6 pack from Auto Zone.

Not sure how much I drained, as I have one of those re-useable drain pans.

I put in about 5.5 or sop qts of oil! I guess our tiny turbo loves it lol

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
meh, i just got the 5qt variety because its like $6 cheaper.

i just bought 30qts so i have an even amt :p

·
Registered
651 Posts
Well, as for the burning part, have you noticed the oil going down on the dip stick when you check it at fill-ups? I've only done one oil change at 600 miles, but in the last 2000 it's probably dropped a 1/4 quart...which is seemingly normal as my SVT Contour dropped a quart every 2500 to 3000.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i guess you are more responsible than me at gas fillups i check every so often. but not that often.

·
Registered
288 Posts
I change my own oil and all of my vehicles (2003 Suburban and 1997 F150) also use 6 quarts of oil. When I changed the oil in my Speed6, the level of used oil in the drain pan was the same as it was for those vehicles. The level came right to the bottom of the filter drain rack in the pan.

I guess you can buy the 5 quart jug and then buy an additional 1 quart bottle.

·
Registered
353 Posts
10,000 miles as of yesterday. Oil never drops below the full mark. Most cars use a little bit of oil. Some more than others. As far as I can tell, my car doesnt use enough to notice.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Well, as for the burning part, have you noticed the oil going down on the dip stick when you check it at fill-ups? I've only done one oil change at 600 miles, but in the last 2000 it's probably dropped a 1/4 quart...which is seemingly normal as my SVT Contour dropped a quart every 2500 to 3000.
[/b]
We called this the phantom oil. Do not add any oil to the engine! You still have the exact amount as you should have. This was discussed while back and there were many of us that had this happening. The oil leaves the dipstick and comes back. I think it sometimes sits in the turbo. Try driving the car hard for 5 minutes after warm-up and check the oil 5-10 minutes after. I almost guarantee you will have perfect amount.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Oil is only good for so long so that may not be a good idea. Thats why its a milage or a number of months.

There is a born on date on most oil.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts