Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
when i got into my car this morning my car idled at around 1500. i shut the engine off turned it back on and was doing the same. third time it was idling at its normal rpm. has anybody else noticed unstable idling?

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Mine only does that for a little bit 1st thing in the morning when the motor is cold, once it gets engine temp, it drops to normal. Was it perhaps cold?

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
:banghead:

on the first cold start, it idles high. once it warms up, itll go down to 750rpm. if it doesnt, then let us know.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
it's getting a lil chilly here in michigan.. but why would it do that? my 6s never did it..

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
it's getting a lil chilly here in michigan.. but why would it do that? my 6s never did it..
[/b]
quick answer, high compression, direct injection, turbo/intercooled motor in a MS6, 6s None of that...

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
quick answer, high compression, direct injection, turbo/intercooled motor in a MS6, 6s None of that...
[/b]
I was trying to keep it short; all modern cars have some form an an automatic/electronic choke that cranks up the throttle a tad until the motor has sufficient temperature to keep running on its own.

The point I was trying to make was that our turbo 2.3 cranks it up more than most cars. Even my 5.4 Triton Supercrew ran a bit fast for the first minute or so, course fast there it was like 900rpm where as it's like 1500rpm on the MS6, as the original poster said.

I'm no mechanic so somone feel free to step in with a better explaination. I believe what I've said is pretty accurate

·
Registered
778 Posts
Mine raises idle on cold starts, actually all of my cars do. Here is info for you.

Speed6
Cold->when started idles at 2K then slowly drops to 1.5K then to 800rpm.
Hot restart->Brief few seconds of about 1300rpm then drops to 800rpm.

Turbo'd Miata Standalone ECU
Cold->Idles at 1.8K then slowly drops to 1.2K then drops to 850rpm.
Hot restart->Ildes at 1.1K then drops to 850rpm.

Nissan Altima
Cold->Idles at 1.6K then slowly drops to 750rpm.
Hot restart->Few seconds of 1K then drops to 750rpm.

I live outside of portland, OR.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
yea most cars do this, even my 240 does this and it's decently old.

6i did that too..and cali sure is alot warmer than michigan

·
Registered
100 Posts
I get to 2K the first 10 sec. then it gradually goes down to 1.5,1, and finally to 750.
[/b]
same, doesn't matter what the weather is though really... I reved it when it was at like 2k and it went to 5k and took like 10 seconds just to drop back down.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts