Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my 6 for a week now and I love it. One thing I am curious about though is why the engine continues to run even after turning the car off? Is it some kind of cool-down sequence?

I hope this just isn't my car....but if I've been driving for a while it takes anywhere from 15-30 seconds for the engine to turn off after removing the key. Is this normal? Thanks!

·
Registered
5,217 Posts
If the engine is running, that is not normal. It's called dieseling and very not good. It's quite rare in modern cars though, and with the fuel system that we have I can't even see how it could physically happen.

If the cooling fans keep running this is perfectly normal. And I suspect this is what you are hearing.

If it was the engine, when it stops after the 15 or 30 seconds you say, the car would sputter and cough when it died. If it's the cooling fans, they'll just shut off.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yea there is no shaking at all. It has to be the fans that just continue to run for a short period thereafter. Does this happen on your cars as well?

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
yea there is no shaking at all. It has to be the fans that just continue to run for a short period thereafter. Does this happen on your cars as well?
[/b]
Take it to the dealer, your fan module needs replacing.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts