Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
Last week I thought my serpentine belt snapped but as it turns out my idler pulley fell off. The bolt snapped. The problem I am having is that I can’t see if the bolt is still stuck in there or if it worked its way loose. Since the bolt is snapped I assume it’s stuck in there but I can’t see clearly enough to tell. Has anyone had any experience with this? If so ANY help is GREATLY appreciated. I have the car jacked up and the wheel off but due to the way the engine is set in the bay I can barely get a postage stamp slid on the side, let alone have enough room to get a clear view or do any work. My internet searches have yielded no results. If the bolt is out, hopefully I can attach a new pulley, put the belt back on and go but right now I just can’t even tell is the bolt is stuck or not.

Does anyone have a walkthrough, video, or any pictures that might help with this situation? Anything will help, I’m left scratching my head and asking friends to take a look on their off days. It’s a 2003 6i, 2.3L.

I have the pulley and broken bolt still, but it does me no good until I can see what’s going on in there. If you have anything at all you think might help, please share. I’m stranded until I get this thing repaired. Thanks all!

·
Registered
389 Posts
Hello all,
Last week I thought my serpentine belt snapped but as it turns out my idler pulley fell off. The bolt snapped. The problem I am having is that I can’t see if the bolt is still stuck in there or if it worked its way loose. Since the bolt is snapped I assume it’s stuck in there but I can’t see clearly enough to tell. Has anyone had any experience with this? If so ANY help is GREATLY appreciated. I have the car jacked up and the wheel off but due to the way the engine is set in the bay I can barely get a postage stamp slid on the side, let alone have enough room to get a clear view or do any work. My internet searches have yielded no results. If the bolt is out, hopefully I can attach a new pulley, put the belt back on and go but right now I just can’t even tell is the bolt is stuck or not.

Does anyone have a walkthrough, video, or any pictures that might help with this situation? Anything will help, I’m left scratching my head and asking friends to take a look on their off days. It’s a 2003 6i, 2.3L.

I have the pulley and broken bolt still, but it does me no good until I can see what’s going on in there. If you have anything at all you think might help, please share. I’m stranded until I get this thing repaired. Thanks all!
Try using a mirror. Like what those dentist use but longer and only for vehicles. Try harbor freight, I think they sell em because If I remember correctly, that is where I saw em. Or you can grab a bolt from the home depot or any hardware store with the same thread and lenght and try to put the bolt in and see if it goes all the way.
I think youre f****d man, sorry but I bet the bolt is stuck there and there is no other way to remove them but to drill them out. I dont know how you going to do that but to remove the engine, I really hope im wrong.
Youre still lucky though if there is atleast a little bit of bolt peeping out. That way you can just grab a vise grip and really grab on that bolt and twist it out, but make sure the engine is cold first.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I believe you may be right on me being SOL. Here are some pictures of the issue:

This is looking down that C shaped shield which the bolt goes into.

http://imgur.com/EOVhqIG

http://imgur.com/YGQNtav,SHusFXD,gxTks6E

It appears the bolt is stock in the well with nothing sticking out. At least from what I can see. It looks like there is about 1 mm of threading and then the body of the bolt is stuck in there, so I have nothing to grab onto. I am hoping maybe I can get a 90 degree drill and a bolt extractor and try that. I have no experience lifting an engine up and I imaging paying someone to do it will wipe out my savings.

Yep.....I'm pretty sure I'm fucked.

·
Registered
389 Posts
I believe you may be right on me being SOL. Here are some pictures of the issue:

This is looking down that C shaped shield which the bolt goes into.

http://imgur.com/EOVhqIG

http://imgur.com/YGQNtav,SHusFXD,gxTks6E

It appears the bolt is stock in the well with nothing sticking out. At least from what I can see. It looks like there is about 1 mm of threading and then the body of the bolt is stuck in there, so I have nothing to grab onto. I am hoping maybe I can get a 90 degree drill and a bolt extractor and try that. I have no experience lifting an engine up and I imaging paying someone to do it will wipe out my savings.

Yep.....I'm pretty sure I'm fucked.
Dang, im sorry to see that man.
Check around your area and get estimates.
If you decide to do it yourself, make sure you spray a lot of pb blaster on it and leave it overnight, then spray it again. Dont use cheap extractors because they tend to break easy, last thing you need is another hardened steel stuck in that hole. Craftsman has great bolt extractors. And also prepare yourself for a long ass job. A case of beer somehow always make a job easier.
Goodluck man and I hope it works out for you. I dont know you going to do it though on such a tight space.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
bummer -
Get the hanger out of way, grab a dremel rotary tool with a cut off disk and slot the end of the bolt. Make the slot wide enough for a flat head screw driver.

Unless it has FACTORY OEM GREEN Loctite on the threads, chances are it will come right out. Get a new bolt from the Dealer ship and confirm. If it has Loctite, a pencil torch and heat the bolt to release the glue. Obviously try to unscrew it first.

Dremel is cheap. beyond that, drill out with left hand/reverse bit and if that fails, an extractor kit. Good Luck.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello all,

reach around the back side of where the bolt screws in and you probably have a 1/4 inch of the broken bolt sticking out the back, Use a small pair of pliers or needle nose vise grip pliers and unscrew the bolt out the back side. I have fixed my Mazda 2.3 broken pulley bolt at least 3-4 times already and this has worked for me every time.

·
Registered
1 Posts
reach around the back side of where the bolt screws in and you probably have a 1/4 inch of the broken bolt sticking out the back, Use a small pair of pliers or needle nose vise grip pliers and unscrew the bolt out the back side. I have fixed my Mazda 2.3 broken pulley bolt at least 3-4 times already and this has worked for me every time.
Hello randysf16. I am having a similar problem as the original person who posted.

I know this feed is very outdated but could use help finding out how to actually get a pair of pliers behind that u-shaped space in order to unscrew the bolt that is stuck.

If you can provide any advice it would be much appreciated

1 - 8 of 8 Posts