Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have retired my first gen Mazda6 3.0L from being a daily driver. I am rebuilding the entire car including the engine to become an autocross car. I've got nearly everything planned out except for the suspension.
Being a newbie to autocross, stock suspension probably isn't horrible. However, I want to make sure I have the proper setup for when I do progress.
I'm looking for everyone's "go to" reliable shocks and springs. Not too fancy where it'll break my wallet, but not too cheap that it will make my subframe touch the ground after multiple events.
If you have any other recommendations as far as suspension goes, please do share.
Also, I'm not looking to lower or raise my car, so preferably something that is or is within an inch of stock suspension. Even if it's adjustable coilovers.
Thank in Advance!

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
Well, what class are you planning on running in? That determines what you can/cant do to the car. If youre running street class, get Koni adjustable struts/shocks and use the stock springs. There are other "stock" things that you can do that no one would know the difference unless youre challenged, but youd have to be spanking serious ass for that to happen (and i dont want to post them in public). If you have stock 18's, go down to 17's if that doesnt compromise your braking, so you can go a little wider on a 200TW tire but still get a lot more grip.

There are other things you can do as well, but i cant comment till you decide what class youll be running.

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
I would be running in either the Street Touring or Street Prepared classes
Are you gonna be competitive in either one? Whats your reasoning for that vs Street? Also depending on the region, you might be able to run Novice and not worry about classing so much, or run Street Open if you want more competition.

·
Administrator
18,566 Posts
Here's a ludicrous amount of information on making your car more track ready, thanks to a long-time member of the forum documenting his experiences.

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
Here's a ludicrous amount of information on making your car more track ready, thanks to a long-time member of the forum documenting his experiences.

Sadly, none of that would be allowed in Street classes. Hell my 8" wide wheels with 235's on them put me in to XS-A which has some seriously dedicated cars with lots of money in them. Even in Street im not really competitive till i get some 200TW tires.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.