Mazda 6 Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
for a daily driver for my wife, are there any major pros and cons to either engine? mazda's website lists msrp of a GT-i4 as being the same as msrp of a GS-V6, the gt of course having more goodies inside.
Is the a i4 a real dog?
Do either of the motors have a reliability advantage over the other?

·
Registered
4,775 Posts
They are both solid engines. If you want to turbo later on, go with the i4, the v6 has more non-turbo add ons though.

As a daily driver for the wife, go with an i4 and get good gas mileage

·
Registered
50 Posts
My understanding is that the V6 is great fun and plenty of power, but the advantage of the I4 is that it handles more crisply. V6 drivers that try somebody's I4 are often amazed at how the I4 feels to drive. I haven't tried one yet.

My commute is a long highway one and overall I'm probably over 90% highway, so I looove my V6. In the city and if fuel consumption is a concern, the I4 might be a better choice, but that depends of the driver and whether she'd just plain prefer the V6 power.

I've often mused that if I was going to get the I4, then I'd match it up with a Mazda3 instead of the Mazda6 to get the I4 engine in a lighter car rather than the heavier 6 gimped by the I4.

I'm V6 biased and "gimped" may be too strong a word for it, I understand there are plenty of Mazda6 drivers racing their I4's very successfully and would never trade for the heavier V6.

·
Registered
233 Posts
i love my v6. i test drove both and the i4 was pretty peppy but once i got into the v6 then there was no comparison. v6 all the way ... but i'll be realalistic here, i'm a guy and i liked a little more power. if its for your wife and power doesn't matter to her then the i4 is fine. its still pretty quick for a i4

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
The V6 has a bit smoother ride and less engine noise than the i4..but you can get more out of the i4 from a modding stand point.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
I'm a 6i guy because I lean more towards road handling over flat out power.

If you go with the 6i, get the 5 speed manual and not the automatic!!!

I've never had trouble from my four banger.

·
Registered
4,499 Posts
I for one have not seen the better handling of the 4-cylinder models having driven both. However, while I would say the I4 is adequate, I prefer the power and demeanor of the V6.

·
Registered
120 Posts
If you are considering the 6i, I'd also recommend driving the 3s. It gets even better mileage, and is a bit peppier due to the lower curb weight.
[/b]
the numbers are almost identical. i had a silver mazda3 parked overnight in my driveway, but after sleeping on it, i went and returned it and got my lapis mazda6. it's roomier. and it looks better, it's like an accord to a civic. the epa gas mileage were as follows for the 2.3 engines in the 3: 26/32 6:23/32

so for a roomier car, i'd be able to sleep ok knowing that i lost 3 miles to the gallon in the city.

i'm totally happy with the 4 banger in my mazda6. that's why i never sold my 'stang, for days when i need to let loose 8 cylinders of dinosuar juice guzzling detroit power.

·
Registered
122 Posts
My understanding is that the V6 is great fun and plenty of power, but the advantage of the I4 is that it handles more crisply. V6 drivers that try somebody's I4 are often amazed at how the I4 feels to drive. I haven't tried one yet.

My commute is a long highway one and overall I'm probably over 90% highway, so I looove my V6. In the city and if fuel consumption is a concern, the I4 might be a better choice, but that depends of the driver and whether she'd just plain prefer the V6 power.

I've often mused that if I was going to get the I4, then I'd match it up with a Mazda3 instead of the Mazda6 to get the I4 engine in a lighter car rather than the heavier 6 gimped by the I4.

I'm V6 biased and "gimped" may be too strong a word for it, I understand there are plenty of Mazda6 drivers racing their I4's very successfully and would never trade for the heavier V6.
[/b]
Man you weren't kidding you're v6 biased. How can you say a v6 is great for all highway driving? What the hell is the difference? The 4 cylinder has plenty of power to get you up over 100 mph. Please explain to me why highway driving lends itself to bigger engines.

·
Registered
16 Posts
for a daily driver for my wife, are there any major pros and cons to either engine? mazda's website lists msrp of a GT-i4 as being the same as msrp of a GS-V6, the gt of course having more goodies inside.
Is the a i4 a real dog?
Do either of the motors have a reliability advantage over the other?
[/b]
Chris,

I would go with the V6, or if you get the I4 definitely get a manual. The auto even with sportshift is nothing like it should be in the I4. The auto in the V6 however drives better with more engine power. Either one I think the straight drive would be best and more fun, but it depends on what you need the car for. If you're getting it and want to have some fun in it, I'd go with the manual. If you drive city a lot and talk on the phone, go with the auto V6 w/ sport shift.

Consumer reports rates the I4 more reliable than the V6. Personally I don't think that's accurate, because it seems like people on here with their v6 don't have anymore problems than the people with an I4.

I made the mistake of having an I4 with auto tranny (ATX). I would advise anyone against buying the I4 auto, not because I thin it's bad, I just don't think it has any real get up and go. Low end torque is non existant. Completely. No question about that. If you want torque (and trust me, you will) get the V6. The i4 doesn't even hit its peak power until right as it is shifting. :tear:

I haven't driven a Speed6, but if it has more low-end torque than the standard 6i, then I would go that route if you can afford it. It's a lot pricier though, but I imagine the turbo would scream at high RPM, plus AWD sure can't hurt!

I'd say your best bet is the V6 model. It'll be more flexible as far as being able to get an auto or a manual transmission and being able to be happy with either.

Also I can't really comment on V6 handling. I never really tested out the capabilities of it on the test drive. I was nice to the car.

Of course all this is my personal opinion, so whatever she wants, go for it. :)

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
I've driven both.

You can definitely feel the fact that the four is lighter in the cars' handling and braking. It is noticible. The six isn't bad in this department by any means, but the four is better.

Obviously, you will also get better mileage with the smaller displacement and fewer cylinders.

The downside to the four is that it may be a bit lethargic "off the line" for some people. Not too bad once it gets going, but even then it is nowhere near the feel of the six. The six is much quicker as would be expected, but you'll trade the handling and braking a bit as stated.

If your priorites are overall performance, take a close look at the four with a manual transmission. If you want a quicker, smoother sedan and don't mind the tradeoffs in weight and how it affects your turning and braking, then turn your attention to the six.

Oh, and in case you like to listen to the music, they also sound different.

Drive them both, and all will be revealed. :drive:

Oh yeah, and to lean off the performance aspect for a minute...

The six does have some amenities the the four does not have available. Leather and auto climate control, for example, are not available in the four (if I'm recalling correctly). That may put a couple of points in favor of the six.

·
Registered
863 Posts
In 04, atleast, a i model could be equipped exactly like the s with the exception of automatic climate control. (US spec). I beleive auto climate control could be had on the canadian I4 models.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Yeah Canadian models you can have all the options that are offered in the V6. I have the 2005 i4 fully loaded (leather, moonroof, heated seats etc)

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
I just hopped on MazdaUSA. Building a standard 6i or 6s, or either of those in Sport trim doesn't allow you to select leather, but the Grand Touring and Grand Sports have leather by default. The climate control isn't available on any 6i model. There are a few other differences, detailed as attached. All for US models, of course, as could be deduced by the fact that I was on MazdaUSA's website for all this info. chris_s, it may help to put your location in your profile.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
I've driven both.

You can definitely feel the fact that the four is lighter in the cars' handling and braking. It is noticible. The six isn't bad in this department by any means, but the four is better.

Obviously, you will also get better mileage with the smaller displacement and fewer cylinders.

The downside to the four is that it may be a bit lethargic "off the line" for some people. Not too bad once it gets going, but even then it is nowhere near the feel of the six. The six is much quicker as would be expected, but you'll trade the handling and braking a bit as stated.

If your priorites are overall performance, take a close look at the four with a manual transmission. If you want a quicker, smoother sedan and don't mind the tradeoffs in weight and how it affects your turning and braking, then turn your attention to the six.

Oh, and in case you like to listen to the music, they also sound different.

Drive them both, and all will be revealed. :drive:

Oh yeah, and to lean off the performance aspect for a minute...

The six does have some amenities the the four does not have available. Leather and auto climate control, for example, are not available in the four (if I'm recalling correctly). That may put a couple of points in favor of the six.
[/b]

I believe all of those options are now available on the 2006 model year.

·
Registered
356 Posts
I made the mistake of test driving the V6 manual first, then trying out an automatic 4 cylinder. The difference to someone who has never driven this car before is incredible. Now that I have driven the V6 for 8 months and know the car, I could probably better judge the 4 banger.

Anyways, from my experience, if you are even considering the 6i, do not test drive a manual V6 beforehand.

·
Registered
6,960 Posts
Consumer reports rates the I4 more reliable than the V6. Personally I don't think that's accurate, because it seems like people on here with their v6 don't have anymore problems than the people with an I4.
[/b]
perhaps the reason for that is because there are more 6i consumers than 6s consumers? i think issues with both are even.

1 - 20 of 81 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
About this Discussion
80 Replies
49 Participants
applejax
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing