Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Read a reivew of the M6 2.3l from Swedish tv-program Trafikmagasinet (the founders of the famous Elk Test!!). They liked it very much. It got five of five "Steering Wheels" in Technologie for example. The only cons they really had was that the road noise and the price of the spair parts. And that they felt that the rear was a little "claustrophobic" or confiend.. don't really know the exakt word.. Not that bad really. They just thought the rear windows (Sedan) was a little small.. A minor thing.

Anyway.. .the point of this post - they messured the cars performance a little. 0-100km/h i 9 seconds. Might sound bad but they way they test cars are the most "gentle" way. Almost a normal launch, then the pedal to the metal.. Not high rpm drops or anything like that.
100km/h - 0km/h was done in 38 meteres. Very good.

Then they had tested the car at Rototest - a Swedish company speicalzed in that... They messured 154hp on the wheels! Pretty good. Just a 12 hp loss from the engine. Emission levels are fine as well 95 "points" compared to their average car @100. They said it was good for such a big eninge.

Milage was a little bad though, in my view. It was messured on a dyno to 0.94l/mil (swedish term for 10km). Thats 9.4l/100km.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Reading Topic: I4 dyno

"They messured 154hp on the wheels! Pretty good. Just a 12 hp loss from the engine."

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the I4 said to have 160hp at the engine? 12hp loss would be 148hp at the wheels. I'd much rather have the 154hp, but im confused...

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Ahh :)
The Japanese 6 23s (2.3l) have 170hp, the European 2.3 have 166 and the American 2.3 have 160 hp. They are differently tuned to fit the type of gas used in the different areas.

·
Registered
791 Posts

Actually, 166 Euro horsepower is pretty close to 160 US horsepower. That Japanese engine is the only one that makes more power.

Funny, the US engine has been under critisism for lack of torque, while the Euro engine has been praised for it. I'd like to see a Dyno of both.

Remember, the US engine was originally only said to make 150hp- it got "bumped", yet I haven't read of any changes.

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

I have heard americans calling the 2.3 "sluggish" and under-powered so I don't know if you can compare what an american, who is used to 250-350 hp cars, with an european, who normaly drives car in the 150-250hp range.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Replying to Topic 'I4 dyno'

Originally posted by Blackbird

I have heard americans calling the 2.3 "sluggish" and under-powered so I don't know if you can compare what an american, who is used to 250-350 hp cars, with an european, who normaly drives car in the 150-250hp range.[/b]
Most americans aren't used to 250-350hp. I'd say that 250hp is the top end of the spectrum as far as American everyday cars go. A Volvo S80 T6 has around 280, and it's a rocket. 350hp is reserved pretty much for imports...

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

But S80 is not an everyday car :) At least not the T6 :)

My point is that americans are used to more power then eurpeans.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts

Be careful, a Rototest dyno is totally different than a rolling road Dynojet type. On a Rototest the drive wheels are removed and the dynos are bolted directly to the hubs.

Rototest

Dynojet

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Is that better or worse then Dynojet? In giving a correct number that is. I mean if you test on with the wheels on, the rim weight and such will matter...
But I suppose you just mean that they are not comparable.. or?

·
Registered
1,806 Posts

Originally posted by Blackbird

But I suppose you just mean that they are not comparable.. or?[/b]
That is what I would say. Better? Worse? Don't know. I only knew about the Rototest because one of the major Miata tuners is switching from the Dynojet to the Rototest because they believe it will be an improvement.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts