Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A colleague from work invited me to a Porsche Club of America track session at Blackhawk Farms. They even made him my instructor. It was a real learning experience. He just had me drive the track in 3rd gear and not worry about speed. What we focused on was the proper line through a turn and setting-up for the next corner. We swapped places a couple times and he drove. OMG, he threw my 6 through the corners like you wouldn't believe. I knew I was pretty sloppy in turns and had little/no technique. But, gee, I didn't think I was that bad. :)

If you get an invite to a PCA event, do it. It's a lot of fun.

BTW, the Northwoods Shelby Club is hosting a 2-day event (9/30 and 10/1) at the Autobahn Country Club in Joliet IL. They still have slots open, if anyone's interested. I'll be signing-up in the next day or 2.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Glad to hear you getting to the track. There are lots of clubs that run similar schools around the country. I hear so many times "I only need to do the suspension/brakes/a turbo" which will get you far less than seat time at the track. An instructor who is NOT familiar with your car will typically be about 15 seconds a lap faster than you would be as a newbie on a 1.5 mile course. That's a lot of seconds and no mods will give you that kind of gain. Do the schools. Have fun.

Porsche, BMW, Audi, SHO, Miata, Corvette, SCCA, EMRA, clubs do schools among others. The private schools like Russell and Barber and Panoz are excellent, but cost more as you use their cars and they do this for a living.

A stock 6i is fine for the track. My racecar broke down once during a 2 day event. I loaded it up, drove home and came back for day 2 with my 6i. Took off the wheel covers, added air, threw all the junk out of the car and drove the day. It did fine.

jack

1 - 3 of 3 Posts