Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i want to get rid of those ugly pea-shooters. HOWEVER, i would like my catback/exhaust to remain as low as close to stock silent as possible, i dont want any muffler sound or anything, altough I am aware this is impossible i would like to get the most silent one.

I think i just need to replace the catback right? not necessarily the whole exhaust system.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Do you want more power or just get rid of the "skinny tip in big hole" look? Do you want a different sound, deeper sound?

I went for power but wanted to keep it as quiet as possible. Very hard to do. I ended up with 3" single tip straight through system made up of 2 resonators (Magnaflows, 18"L x 6" dia, 14"L x 4" dia) and a straight through Aeroturbine muffler. It's still louder than I had hoped for, but now that I've experienced the power and improved top end I'm going to live with the increased sound level.

One approach is to go to a good muffler shop and have them cut off the stock mufflers and weld in some of the quieter "true" mufflers with internal baffling and multi chambers, like the FlowMaster 70 or 60 Delta. http://www.flowmastermufflers.com/60_series.html
The straight through mufflers will probably be louder than you'd want. This will still change the sound, giving it a deeper note, and will probably be louder than stock. You could put a resonator inline between the second cat and the "T" pipe to give a bit more sound cancellation.

On the other hand, if you just want to change the look and not the sound or performance, why go to the expense of replacing any of the major parts of the exhaust system? Have the muffler shop cut off the stock tips and weld on something larger that leaves less of a gap than the existing tips. A short length of 3" polished stainless on each side would do it. You'd still have to do this with the Flowmasters suggested above, since the outlets won't be large enough to satisfy your needs.

There are mufflers that have large tips built in at one end, but you'd have to find one that fits (most are too large, like 4") and they will be quite loud, as they're meant for the "ricer" crowd.

Ultimately I would advise going to a muffler shop and seeking their advice if all you want to do is change the look, without affecting sound level.

·
Registered
561 Posts
yea im looking for the same thing actually, and i agree with skoda. youre best bet would be a custom setup. what i had in mind was similar to above, but i want the dual exit. a higher flow but quiet muffler on each side, and then a resonator before the y split. i am also waiting to see if any more companies release exhaust for us. greddy usually makes some nice sounding quiet systems. but dont hold your breath either, because most of the stuff thats gonna come out now is gonna be for the speed 3 *sigh*

·
Registered
244 Posts
The only problem with the custom system is.... you will never know what kind of sound you will get until its too late :D So you better do all the research first before you go into the muffler shop.

I heard the quietest import car muffler is Apexi WS sports. They have 3" turbo application right now, but is expensive. Cost 200$ for one muffler.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I'm looking into Apexi's latest noise baffling inserts that keep it quiet at idle and cruise but open wide at full throttle. They call it their ATS orActive Tail Silencer. This will go on my LS1 powered Rx7 that should be hitting the streets by year end.

http://www.apexi-usa.com/product_exhaust_d...7&pageNum=1

I bet that this insert in one (or two) of their universal mufflers would be quiet as a churchmouse at idle and cruise but still give open pipe horsepower at WOT. Feedback from users on the Rx7's indicates the ATS reduces WOT noise levels as well as making idle and cruise very quiet (relative).

·
Registered
244 Posts
I'm looking into Apexi's latest noise baffling inserts that keep it quiet at idle and cruise but open wide at full throttle. They call it their ATS orActive Tail Silencer. This will go on my LS1 powered Rx7 that should be hitting the streets by year end.

http://www.apexi-usa.com/product_exhaust_d...7&pageNum=1

I bet that this insert in one (or two) of their universal mufflers would be quiet as a churchmouse at idle and cruise but still give open pipe horsepower at WOT. Feedback from users on the Rx7's indicates the ATS reduces WOT noise levels as well as making idle and cruise very quiet (relative).
[/b]
The problem with N1 or HKS hiper is their tip is wayyy to big to fit on the bumper. Unless you want cut a hole on the bumper, they won't fit. For the WS, you can cut the tip and weld a smaller one to fit in the hole on the bumper.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Or just pick up a couple magnaflow mufflers with 3" inlet/outlet and have a muffler shop run the piping for you. http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/shopdis...main&id=350
[/b]

I would like to get 2 greddy evo2 mufflers and make a custom kit. You cant get just the mufflers though. I am not gonna pay 1000 for a catback from the V6 and cut it up for the mufflers. They are quiet and still have good sound with power.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yah, Im not paying mora than 500, fudge that. Thanks for all of the help provided. However, There are some Im not sure of, like the magnaflow, i think is jsut too loud...some of them dont offer sound clips :S

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
yah, Im not paying mora than 500, fudge that. Thanks for all of the help provided. However, There are some Im not sure of, like the magnaflow, i think is jsut too loud...some of them dont offer sound clips :S
[/b]
As far as I know Magnaflows are straight through mufflers. This means they won't be as quiet as the chambered mufflers. Plus there isn't much space where the stock mufflers are; it will be very difficult to find something that fits in there yet gives the same sound muffling as stock.

If you really want to keep it no louder than stock, just change the tips on the stock mufflers. This should be the cheapest and most focused solution.

BTW, I followed an Acura TL today. I don't feel so bad about our stock tips now (but I've already changed mine). The TL has these trapezoidal (sort of rectangular but top part is narrower than bottom and slides slope outwards to bottom) tips, but about 2 inches in you can see the actual exhaust outlet, and it's no bigger than the ones on the MS6, probably about 1.5" to 1.75". It looked pretty silly to have these flared out trumpet and this quite visible tiny hole in the back. The difference is that the trapezoidal tip is part of the exhaust outlet, instead of being a separate piece that ours is.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts