Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im looking at an 04 6s atx. but after looking on the forums all i find about these are tranny problems, oil problems, and random CEL codes and TDC's . i really want a 6 what years and models with the atx and 3.0 are the most reliable? thanx for the help

·
Registered
320 Posts
Keep in mind that people post more about problems than they do in praise.

I had a an 04 6s atx, and I never had a problem.

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
Keep in mind that people post more about problems than they do in praise.

I had a an 04 6s atx, and I never had a problem.
[/b]
Very true. I've got 2.5 years on my 04 6s atx, no problems at all.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
They are good cars overall.
I think the 03's had the most issues because they were the first.

But even they are good cars.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Im looking at an 04 6s atx. but after looking on the forums all i find about these are tranny problems, oil problems, and random CEL codes and TDC's . i really want a 6 what years and models with the atx and 3.0 are the most reliable? thanx for the help
[/b]
Didn't they change the transmission for '05 models to a one with less "problems" (Which is the model I have btw)? This is a mazda 6 enthusiasts forum... When you love your car so much of course your going to be very sensative to any "imperfections" so complaining here shouldnt seem out of the ordinary.

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
Didn't they change the transmission for '05 models to a one with less "problems" (Which is the model I have btw)? This is a mazda 6 enthusiasts forum... When you love your car so much of course your going to be very sensative to any "imperfections" so complaining here shouldnt seem out of the ordinary. [/b]
I thought that happened with the '06 model year but I could be wrong........yes, they dropped the Jatco trans for a more durable one, not sure who's manufacture the new one is. (FoMoCo, maybe..?)

·
Registered
178 Posts
I thought that happened with the '06 model year but I could be wrong........yes, they dropped the Jatco trans for a more durable one, not sure who's manufacture the new one is. (FoMoCo, maybe..?)
[/b]
They dropped Jatco 5 speed and put in Aisin 6 speed (toyota) in 2005 I THINK, which is probably why I got the 2005 model... but people say putting a tranny cooler on the jatco should help with any issues you will have with it.

·
Registered
2017 MZ6 GT Jet Black Mica
3,575 Posts
I had a loaner 6s wagon, and the transmission seemed really finicky (sp?) to me. The car had just about 5000 miles on it.

Yeah, the 6-speed was a 2005 addition to the 6s. That same year, the 4-cyl for a 5-speed auto.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
i drove my 2004 for two years. i loved it so much i traded it in on the speed6. i must admit though, the 6 speed atx in my 05 hatch is a nicer tranny than the jatco 5 speed in the 2004. mine had the mtx, never had a problem mechanically. only a couple ankle bitters, like broken door handle.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I have an '06 6s with the Aisin-Warner 6-speed auto and I have to say, although it never slips, it does occasionally gear hunt, is slow to downshift and is not always the smoothest operator - particularly with the A/C on for some reason. I think most of these problems can be solved with subsequent firmware updates, but nevertheless, it's not as rock solid as I'd hoped. Especially for a vehicle with sporting aspirations that makes most of its power in the upper RPM band.

My personal opinion is that I wouldn't buy a used 03-04 Mazda6 automatic, unless you know the vehicle's history and that it was adult-owned. With the manumatic function and trouble-prone history, it's too easy to pick one up that some kid beat on and be left with what could potentially be a very expensive rebuild/replacement. JMO, flames will not be responded to.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts