Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I've been looking at my trunk for a solid week now trying to come up with ideas on how to make the lid pop open. If you don't use your trunk, well let me fill you in. The lid doesn't fly up like the rest of the cars out there. And it sure would be nice to avoid juggling what's in my arms with akwardly opening the lid of the trunk.

So here's what I've found.

The latch isn't to blame. It's electrical and it seems that when you press the button on the keyring, the computer sends the signal to the latch. So no mod chip can fix that :D

The design of the hinges and gas lifters is the problem. The lifters are small and dinky, and the hinges double over so there is no way for the lifters to give enough push to lift the lid.

So here's what I propose, since I realy don't know anything. Find and replace the lifters with something more powerful than the stock ones. I talked to falcon about using the ones for the hood, but he said they wouldn't fit. So where can one find these lifters? I've learned mazda uses several vendors by looking at different trunks at the dealer. Ay ideas?

·
Registered
5,217 Posts
It's been discussed, oh, probably 1000 times before.

The problem is that with the way that the trunk is designed with the struts at the angle they are when the trunk is closed it would take an incredible amount of pressure to actually get enough leverage to fully open the trunk.

The struts and the trunk are lateral with one another when closed, meaning there is virtually no leverage, almost all the force from the strut is just straight out to the back of the car, not up which is where you want the trunk lid to go. You'd have to have a LOT of pressure in the strut to get enough upward force to get the trunk open. It only needs that huge amount of force right at the beginning, after a few inches, the stock struts are fine. So if you triple the PSI of the struts, it might lift on it's own, but shoot like a rocket when it passes the halfway point. And then you'd have to have the strength to close it again.

·
Registered
613 Posts
The trunk is really heavy to lift up and it always make me wonder which part I should grab on when trying to open the trunk.

·
Registered
815 Posts
I am not a technical guy at all, but what about an actuator that is triggered with the trunk release button to give the trunk the initial push it needs until the stock lifters take over.

·
Registered
217 Posts
an actuator is a good idea, but we need one with enough initial pressure to give it that oomph. another thing to think about, is where are we gonna put the actuator?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
About this Discussion
6 Replies
7 Participants
imanaggie
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing