Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want a Mazda 6 Coupe...

It would not cost too much for Mazda to build a coupe based on the Mazda 6. At the minimum, they could keep the car as it is from the front bumper to the base of the A pillar and change the rest to design a beautiful 2-door coupe or 3-door hatchback.

The Altima does not come in a coupe version.
The Solara, based on the Camry, is a senior citizen car.
The Accord Coupe, new for 2003, is disappointing: looks like a Chrysler product; geared more towards luxury than sport.

There is very little choice for the mid-size coupe buyer. It seems the market is becoming more and more a choice between SUVs and 4-door sedans.

Mazda could score a hit with a zoom-zoomy mid-size sport coupe. BMW is selling a lot of 3-series coupes.

Maybe someone here is good with Photoshop and could "invent" the Mazda 6 Coupe...

Should I also post this is the "Ideas for Mazda" forum ?

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Replying to Topic 'I want a Mazda 6 Coupe'

I want one too! But you are lucky, the name "MX-6" has again been registrated in America, so there probably will be a Mazda6 coupe :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Interesting info Matt.

Where did you get this about the name MX-6 being registered again? I am surprised it could be de-registered.

I almost bought a MX-6 Mystere in 1993. But my practical/rational side won and I ended up bying a Nissan Altima...which I found ugly for the next 4 years! Never again will I buy a car I don't find attractive.

In 1997, I bought an Accord LX Coupe

In 2001, I bought an Accord EX Coupe.

I am not especially interested in the new 2003 Accord Coupe. Not too crazy about the exterior. Don't like the instrument panel, mainly the big speedo/small tach arangement that seems to say that performance is less important than the speed limit.

As of today, my next car is a Mazda 6 V-6 with the 5-speed...Unless something better comes up during the next 18 months, such as a Mazda 6 Coupe

·
Registered
71 Posts

IMHO there is no use for Mazda to produce Mazda6 Coupe.
Previous 626 were normal family sedans and there was a free market niche
for MX6 to occupy. The new Mazda6 is promoted as a "sport sedan" or
"sport car with 4 doors" or even "coupe with 4 doors". The same is with
Volvo S60 here in Europe. The introduction of Mazda6 Coupe would
affect the sales of regular Mazda6 since their market niches would
overlap quite much.
That's just my subjective opinion. Besides, remeber the potential existance
of RX-8 and Mazda6 MPS. I don't see a room for Mazda6 Coupe between
these two models and regular Mazda6.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

I like the Photoshop Coupe in the link above, I agree it is only a fashion statement, but why not? Choosing a beautiful Mazda 6 over a buickesque Accord is also, in part, a fashion statement.

As for the RX-8, may I say that I don't find it to my taste. I would not be surprised if it failed in the market because of its bizarre looks. I am a coupe buyer and don't like it. It should not be a competitor for a hypothetical Mazda 6 Coupe, because it is not in the same price range.

·
Registered
837 Posts

The thing about the Mazda 6 is that it is marketed as a family sedan that gives a shot of sportiness for the bored parents that want something fun but can't give up the extra useful doors and backseat convienent.

Mazda would love to offer all different variant of a model but cost wise not possible. They would rather offer something more in the line of a full sport vehicle that backseat and convienent is not an issue. So a coupe which is a sportier image of a sedan can be offset by a sporty hatchback.

This is where the Miata and RX-8 comes in. However, speaking of convienent, why did Mazda even bothered with the suicide doors? It is unique but kind of oddish. Perhaps it may grow on people and it may become a niche in the the sport sector but right now it is not considered in style.

·
Premium Member
1,776 Posts

You want a Mazda6 coupe??? Here you got it! :D

·
Registered
1,180 Posts

Where did you get this about the name MX-6 being registered again?[/b]
www.autotelegraaf.nl; there are always right.. ;)

I am surprised it could be de-registered[/b]
It is a bit difficult to explain in English, but you have to registrate a name so another brand can't use it. And the last MX-6 is already a few years off-sale, so they must registrate it again

The new Mazda6 is promoted as a "sport sedan" or
"sport car with 4 doors" or even "coupe with 4 doors".[/b]
I'm sorry, but that is a bit overeacted. Sport sedan? Mwa.....okey. But a sport car of a coupe with 4 doors?? Nooooo, it is just a 'normal' sedan/hatchback/estate with a sporty look. That is a big difference. Also here in Europe we don't have those bodykits on every version. So a sedan 1.8 or 2.0 with normal bumpers and such and with wheel covers is everything, but nowhere close to a coupe. Maybe in driving... The last MX-6 was based on the 626 ('92/'96) and that was also a sporty looking car. The HB was also very practical. And so it the Mazda6 hatchback. A Mazda6 Coupe isn't. It will probably looks very good...... :p

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

I don't hate 4-doors. I would just like to have more choices. Thanks for the two Photoshop Edition Mazda 6 Coupes provided in this thread. Now I can dream... :zzz

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts

Still Mazda offer more body alternatives than most auto makers out there (though not all of them in NA yet...)

·
Registered
19 Posts

but I think M6 coupe will be too near to the RX8, and for a four seater Mazda tends not to make it a coupe, (except for RX7) see they even reinvented a 4 dour "coupe" RX-8,

so don't really think M6 coupe will ever exist..... ;)

·
Registered
1,180 Posts

Maybe you are right. Well...or Mazda should make the price of a M6 Coupe real low, so it could compare with a Toyota Celica. But I think it is better that Mazda will make a Mazda3 Coupe to compare with the Celica and such

·
Registered
19 Posts

oh talking about Mazda3 coupe,

with the pics in the picture section I can foresee it'll look like a TT :D

1 - 17 of 17 Posts