Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have been listening to my setup for a week or so now and it just doesn't seem as loud is it was in my P5. I know its not a hatch, but could it make that much of a difference? Mind you, this is even with the back seats down.

My old setup:
2 Alpine 10"R's in a sealed hatch box (actually it was not sealed)
Kenwood 1021 amp 840W max
Alpine deck

New setup:
2 Alpine 10"R's in sealed fiberglass enclosures
Orion 8002 amp 1600W max
AudioControl LC6i LOC

My Navigator with an 8" single sub powered by a DEI 250W amp sound better.

Please help.

Sam

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
I had a set-up in my old eclipse. It had some timing problems so I stripped out the set and put it in the old Nissan. Sounded great in the eclipse. but like shit in the nissan.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
A hatchback does make a huge difference in output.

Try swapping the + - on one sub.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Try swapping the + - on one sub.
[/b]
agreed. sounds like you may have a sub out-of-phase.

also, how do you have your LOC wired up? to the fronts or rears? fronts give better sound quality.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
On the fronts. I tried swapping polarity on one of them when I was initiall playing with it and thought it was better, but I didn't have it turned up too loud. Maybe I'll switch it back.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yup. I'm pretty proud of myself :D Well, at least that part of it.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
No, neither of those, just by ear so it could be way off. I notice he set the bandpass too low and now I'm missing some sound. I'll have to fix that.

I haven't been able to do anything today, as I have been taking the alternator out of my Navigator. What a bitch that has been!

·
Registered
200 Posts
Yeah, alternators in just about any car are no fun.

You should really try to at least use a DMM to set your gains the right way, especially with that nice Audiocontrol LOC. For $15 you can't really go wrong. However, an O-scope, while expensive, might be the best tuning tool ever made for a stereo. You can measure exactly the volume level at which your head unit and/or LOC start clipping the signal. Then you can put it on your amp outputs and see how far you can crank the gain before clipping.

Some shops have O-scopes for this purpose.. hard to find though.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
How do you set an LOC? I don't think I've seen any how-to's for that.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Straight from the LC6i manual..

Level Matching
If you have ever listened to a friend’s “killer” car audio system and heard lots of hiss, clicks or pops, then you may have experienced an improperly
level-matched system. When a performance autosound system is properly level matched, you should get the maximum output from your source unit and amplifiers without any clipping or that annoying hiss! The following steps will help you through the process, although at the end of the day, your ears will be your guides!
1. Set your source unit’s fader and balance controls to their center positions.
If your source unit has subwoofer output (and you are using it), set the output level at minimum.
2. Disconnect the RCA cables between your LC6i and the amplifier(s). Otherwise get some earplugs.
3. Start playing some dynamic music and set the volume on your source unit to about 3/4 of maximum. You should not be hearing anything
at this point as the amplifiers are unplugged. If you are hearing music, go back to step #2; if you are hearing voices go see a doctor!
4. Adjust the output level controls until the “Maximized” light starts to flicker. If the Maximized LED does not come on but you are hearing music, fear not. The signal level from your source unit is probably not sufficient enough to trigger the LED. Do not worry, proceed on.
5. Set the input gains on the amplifier(s) at minimum! This is known as turning down your gains.
6. Double check that you performed Step #5!
7. Decrease the volume control on your source unit and re-connect the RCA’s between the LC6i and the external amplifier(s).
8. Now increase the volume on your source unit to your normal listening
level. For some of you, this may be louder than others!
9. At this point you may find yourself going back and adjusting the Output Level controls on your LC6i to balance the front, rear, and subwoofer
sections of your system to accommodate speaker placement and efficiency. Speakers on the rear deck of your car will probably sound louder that the ones in your doors![/b]
For step 3, I'd prefer to do it a little differently. I'd use a 60 Hz test tone for subs instead of music. And setting it to 3/4 of maximum is just a guess from Audiocontrol. That's where most HU's start to clip but I'm not sure about the factory HU in the 6. That's where the O-scope comes in handy. :)

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
I think your first mistake is Alpine subs, what a BIG waste of money, Alpine makes decks, amps, and speakers NOT SUBS!! Is your box ported at all? Air space is big if it isn't bumpin man, your box determines how well your sub will sound....it's very different now days with all kinds of amps and tuners and stuff, but an old school response is that your box might not work right for your subs....right now I have a 12" L7 kicker solo-baric putting out more DB's then my friends 2 12" JL Audio W3v3's, because my box is built better....what everyone else was saying is still kinda true though, that's the now days high tech stuff I never really understood....

·
Registered
708 Posts
Alpine doesn't make good subs? Go to Caraudio.com and listen to all the rants and raves about these Alpine Type R's and come back and tell us again how they suck. There is one thread with over 30 pages just on Type R's and how to get the most out of them.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I think your first mistake is Alpine subs, what a BIG waste of money, Alpine makes decks, amps, and speakers NOT SUBS!! Is your box ported at all? Air space is big if it isn't bumpin man, your box determines how well your sub will sound....it's very different now days with all kinds of amps and tuners and stuff, but an old school response is that your box might not work right for your subs....right now I have a 12" L7 kicker solo-baric putting out more DB's then my friends 2 12" JL Audio W3v3's, because my box is built better....what everyone else was saying is still kinda true though, that's the now days high tech stuff I never really understood....
[/b]
Uh...Right...

Dan, thank you!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts