Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I went out to the club tonight. As I was leaving I had to drive through a water puddle from a sprinkler system. I go through the puddle and give my car some gas, shift into 2nd......... NOTHING. I'm locked out of 1st completely and 2nd gear doesn't catch. I've had problems before just from normal driving and grinding going into 2nd and 3rd but the dealership couldn't duplicate it. Also I forgot to mention that moving my shifter took force going into every other gear but loosened up during my drive home. Does anyone know what happend or how serious it is????????

·
Registered
33 Posts
Sounds like three things, you may have broken your first gear or your synchronizers are gone or going out, or it ran out of tranny oil, now it could be something completely different but my advice is get it into a mazda shop asap

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
Ok so I went out to the club tonight. As I was leaving I had to drive through a water puddle from a sprinkler system. I go through the puddle and give my car some gas, shift into 2nd......... NOTHING. I'm locked out of 1st completely and 2nd gear doesn't catch. I've had problems before just from normal driving and grinding going into 2nd and 3rd but the dealership couldn't duplicate it. Also I forgot to mention that moving my shifter took force going into every other gear but loosened up during my drive home. Does anyone know what happend or how serious it is????????[/b]

Two possibilities come to mind:

1- your shifter is horribly out of adjustment, or a cable has gone bad.

2 - you have a clutch problem. If it's not disengaging properly when you push the pedal it would make getting into any gear difficult or impossible.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sounds like three things, you may have broken your first gear or your synchronizers are gone or going out, or it ran out of tranny oil, now it could be something completely different but my advice is get it into a mazda shop asap[/b]
I can go into my other 3 gears and R with no problem now. If my tranny fluid is gone then........... crap. Well can anyone else think of something? One of my friends said i may have broke my shift forks or something like that

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
According to the service manager there's a strong possibility of warranty not covering my mishap. My tranny wasn't took apart or anything but it indeed is either my synchros locked up or severly bent or broken gear forks. I'm taking it back tomorrow for a rough estimate of the damages and I will keep everyone posted.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Bluestreak, what exactly did you tell your dealership?

Always explain the situation in way that doesn't incriminate you. If you suggest that it was your fault in ANY way, then the service department will surely find some bullshit reason to pin the blame on you. Then you wind up paying for repairs out of pocket.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Bluestreak, what exactly did you tell your dealership?

Always explain the situation in way that doesn't incriminate you. If you suggest that it was your fault in ANY way, then the service department will surely find some bullshit reason to pin the blame on you. Then you wind up paying for repairs out of pocket.[/b]
I told him that I was out with a couple of friend's showing a new roommate around town (that's really how we ended up at the club). Then there was a wet spot at a traffic light and when I started off my tires started to slip but not enough for traction control to kick. When I went into 2nd gear it wasn't there. He told me that 9/10 Mazda would see something like this as abuse. He showed me some of the driving specs of the car today and believe it or not shifting over 3k is considered driving out of spec. BTW I have an '06 6i with 24k miles

·
Registered
6,686 Posts
I told him that I was out with a couple of friend's showing a new roommate around town (that's really how we ended up at the club). Then there was a wet spot at a traffic light and when I started off my tires started to slip but not enough for traction control to kick. When I went into 2nd gear it wasn't there. He told me that 9/10 Mazda would see something like this as abuse. He showed me some of the driving specs of the car today and believe it or not shifting over 3k is considered driving out of spec. BTW I have an '06 6i with 24k miles[/b]
If they are not going to cover it,call the regional rep,if nothing there,call Mazda customer service,if nothing there next step is an attorney.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
I told him that I was out with a couple of friend's showing a new roommate around town (that's really how we ended up at the club). Then there was a wet spot at a traffic light and when I started off my tires started to slip but not enough for traction control to kick. When I went into 2nd gear it wasn't there. He told me that 9/10 Mazda would see something like this as abuse. He showed me some of the driving specs of the car today and believe it or not shifting over 3k is considered driving out of spec. BTW I have an '06 6i with 24k miles[/b]
I received the same "driving out of spec" bullshit when I was trying to get my syncro replaced. a "zoom zoom" car that can't go above 3k rpms. bullshit. especially when our tq curves just begin to pick up at 3k rpm.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yea even an employee at a Toyota dealership told me to call Mazda directly and get an attorney. Something has to be/will be done. It's starting to look like Mazda know they built a crappy car and put specs within normal driving range to keep from dealing with problems

·
Registered
6,686 Posts
Yea even an employee at a Toyota dealership told me to call Mazda directly and get an attorney. Something has to be/will be done. It's starting to look like Mazda know they built a crappy car and put specs within normal driving range to keep from dealing with problems[/b]
I wouldn't say that.I work for a Ford/Mazda dealer and it's rare to get a manual trans failure.Clutches are a whole different story.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
yea u right that's kinda harsh. i really do love the car but i've had it for 4 maybe 5 months and it's had more heart transplants than a 90 year old man.

·
Registered
6,686 Posts
yea u right that's kinda harsh. i really do love the car but i've had it for 4 maybe 5 months and it's had more heart transplants than a 90 year old man.[/b]
It might be the reason you have the car now,the original owner may have torn the hell out of the car and abused it.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
yea u right that's kinda harsh. i really do love the car but i've had it for 4 maybe 5 months and it's had more heart transplants than a 90 year old man.[/b]
Just throw your own clutch in there and then you shouldn't have to worry. sure it sucks to have parts break on your car, but I at least just use it as an excuse to buy a new toy.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
yea i had a talk with him after the 1st engine blew (i'm on the 3rd, the 2nd got robbed by the oil fairy!) and he told me it was basically his weekend "toy". just a lil background on this guy, traded in the 6 for an Avalon and owns an 07 3-series coupe......... at the same time i know i drive the car a little hard at times for no reason at all but i still never had problems like this with previous vehicles.

·
Registered
6,686 Posts
3 engines in 24k for miles is ridiculous,I don't think I have ever heard of such a thing.I bet this thing has been driven very hard.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
3 engines in 24k for miles is ridiculous,I don't think I have ever heard of such a thing.I bet this thing has been driven very hard.[/b]
would lemon laws work here?

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
ok the 1st engine was my fault. the orginal owner stated the car had problems when he got rid of it. car had problems, i made them worse, blew engine. the 2nd engine was put in by a shop that really doesn't have good rep in south ga and after i moved down here it threw a rod. only 3 wks after i had it inspected. that couldve easily been prevented by me just checking my oil but hey we all make mistakes. the engine i have now is flawless (other than heat soak from driving from one side of town to another). i'm not saying i've never beat my car, i've taken it to the track and ran a couple of times, but i also take time every night when there's less traffic out to cruise and listen for problems.

·
Registered
6,686 Posts
would lemon laws work here?[/b]
It sounds like flat out abuse on the previous owner's part.I doubt it would hold up.The 2.3L has a solid track record of reliability.You may get one that comes apart every once in a while,but 3 different engines in 24k is really unheard of.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts
About this Discussion
66 Replies
12 Participants
bluestreak6
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing