Mazda 6 Forums banner

41 - 52 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Are you referring to Aesthetics? Performance? According to the manufacturers, the 245/45 work on a 7.5" wheel. Admittedly they do not look as 'cool' as they are not lower profile and may not handle corners on a track as well, but better ride and more rubber on the road, so likely better stopping power.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Are you referring to Aesthetics? Performance? According to the manufacturers, the 245/45 work on a 7.5" wheel. Admittedly they do not look as 'cool' as they are not lower profile and may not handle corners on a track as well, but better ride and more rubber on the road, so likely better stopping power.
I am referring to performance. Aesthetics isn't anywhere near as important, for me at least.

245 width tire on a 7.5" rim... oh dear. Sure it'll fit, but are you going to get the physical contact patch which a 245 width tire offers? absolutely not. Think of it is a balloon, the tire is not going to fit nice and tight onto the wheel. If you do a lot of highway driving and refrain from cornering your car in a spirited manner - ever, then it should be ok, otherwise I'd prefer a better fit onto the wheel. If you open the link I have provided and scroll down a little, you will find a useful chart. Based on my own first hand experience with tires and rims, I can confirm that this chart is perfectly accurate.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Too late now for me, hope it does not cause issues, but the tires are already on...... Was not much in the way of choices in 235 and I did not want to change out the wheels. Time will tell. I am pretty OCD about tire pressure, so I hope that will help......

·
Registered
479 Posts
Too late now for me, hope it does not cause issues, but the tires are already on...... Was not much in the way of choices in 235 and I did not want to change out the wheels. Time will tell. I am pretty OCD about tire pressure, so I hope that will help......
245/40/19 would be alright because the diameter will be almost the same as 225/45/19, according to will they fit.com. but.... 245/45/19? On a 7.5" definetly not recommended. How does it feel? Can you take a picture of how they fit on the wheel?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Have not had a chance to drive them much yet as we are having a rare 3-4 day Rain event here in Phoenix. 3" so far...... But the little I did when it was dry and some in the rain, they felt better than the stock tires. Better ride, no mushy feel. Not too much quieter (per my decibel Meter). Here are a few pics, not great pics as it is dark and raining and did not open the garage. They look like tires looked before everyone went low profile. The 'balloon' in the pic does not look as dramatic in real life...........
Tire.jpg
Tire Side.jpg
Tire Contact Patch.jpg

·
Registered
479 Posts
Have not had a chance to drive them much yet as we are having a rare 3-4 day Rain event here in Phoenix. 3" so far...... But the little I did when it was dry and some in the rain, they felt better than the stock tires. Better ride, no mushy feel. Not too much quieter (per my decibel Meter). Here are a few pics, not great pics as it is dark and raining and did not open the garage. They look like tires looked before everyone went low profile. The 'balloon' in the pic does not look as dramatic in real life........... View attachment 238464 View attachment 238468 View attachment 238469
Well, it doesnt look as bad as I initially thought but you can clearly tell the tires a little oversized.. if you went for a 40 sidewall the diameter would have at least been almost the same... you've altered the rolling diameter by about 2-3% which is a little much .

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discount and other threads said under 3% is OK.... Over is not. It is 2.6% so pushing the limits. But as the earlier poster said, the ride and feel seems better. It has a more premium ride and look, from the back at least!
If I change my mind or have issues, I will post and if I Love them, I will post!

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discount and other threads said under 3% is OK.... Over is not. It is 2.6% so pushing the limits. But as the earlier poster said, the ride and feel seems better. It has a more premium ride and look, from the back at least!
If I change my mind or have issues, I will post and if I Love them, I will post!
Personally I'd get 18" aftermarket wheels and fit 245/45/18 tires on there, roughly .24 variation from OEM which is 225/55/17 on trims without the 19" wheels.

Like the look of 19"s but to be honest I think they're a bit too big for the car and I wouldnt be able to deal with the ride over Toronto roads here. At least my 55 sidewall is cushy lol.

With the turbo engine or even the NA 2.5 with an ecu tune, you will want the contact patch of 245 width tires.

In terms of traction, especially with all the torque of the turbo, a custom limited slip differential will sure go a long way. Requires extensive custom work however.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Have not had a chance to drive them much yet as we are having a rare 3-4 day Rain event here in Phoenix. 3" so far...... But the little I did when it was dry and some in the rain, they felt better than the stock tires. Better ride, no mushy feel. Not too much quieter (per my decibel Meter). Here are a few pics, not great pics as it is dark and raining and did not open the garage. They look like tires looked before everyone went low profile. The 'balloon' in the pic does not look as dramatic in real life........... View attachment 238464 View attachment 238468 View attachment 238469
Only thing you need to do is put a little tire dressing on those and you're all set.

You done good. Everything about those tires is a huge improvement over the stock tires.

Curious what they set the tire pressure at.

·
Registered
9 Posts
The pressure is not on the receipt (the torque is at 110 which is 2 ft/lb more than the manual). I checked the next day and it seemed they were pretty close to the 35 lbs. I go up 1-1.5 on my digital gauge. Finally not raining today so I may get a chance to see how they do!

·
Registered
479 Posts
The pressure is not on the receipt (the torque is at 110 which is 2 ft/lb more than the manual). I checked the next day and it seemed they were pretty close to the 35 lbs. I go up 1-1.5 on my digital gauge. Finally not raining today so I may get a chance to see how they do!
Try playing around with the tire pressures a little. I like to have my front tires at 37,38 or even 39 PSI to increase responsiveness and handling. Sometimes I set the pressures at all 4 corners the same, sometimes I just leave the rear tires at 2-3 psi less than the fronts @ 35.

41 - 52 of 52 Posts