Mazda 6 Forums banner

21 - 40 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hello everyone, sorry to bump an old thread, but preferred doing so rather than opening a new topic.

I want to see if anyone here can provide photos of 245/45/19 tires on stock wheels.

Thanks!

·
Registered
458 Posts
Hello everyone, sorry to bump an old thread, but preferred doing so rather than opening a new topic.

I want to see if anyone here can provide photos of 245/45/19 tires on stock wheels.

Thanks!

I found a great deal on tires 245/45/19....will they fit on stock wheel?

·
Registered
24 Posts
What's the downside of 245/45-19 on an 8.5" wheel (Niche Targa) at stock height?

Total diameter increases .71" from stock, some good tire options with mileage warranties if you don't stagger, little more fill in the wheel well.

·
Premium Member
1,077 Posts
Yes, from 225/45 19 to 245/45 19, the diameter gets bigger.

But if you put 245/45 19s on a 7.5" width wheel, vs. a 8.5" width wheel, what then? It is my understanding that wheel width can affect diameter because of how the wheel affects the tire.

Take a donut and put it between your hands. Now squish the donut. The diameter gets bigger.

The difference in diameter between 225/45 19 and 245/45 19 is already close to 3%. A 7.5" wide wheel is on the narrow side for 245/45 tire, and I suspect that the squish to get it to fit will increase the diameter a bit over what it would be on a 8.5" wheel. I don't know if this is actually significant, but I figure I'd point it out if that's a factor for him.

Because I am interested in a 8.5" wide wheel, I think sticking with 225/45s is more stretch than I want. 235/45 19s would be ideal, but its a size with very few tire options. I don't want to do 245/40 19s because they are shorter than stock and I want the extra sidewall here in NY. The 245/45s also fill in more of the wheel arch, which I think is better visually. Also, there are lots of tires in that size, and it makes shopping for tires much easier/cheaper.

Sorry if I wasn't clear before.

EDIT: So I looked it up, and it seems that this is not really true on steel belted radials.

Don't know if you're still active on here, but thought that I would respond with some anecdotal evidence:

There is indeed a diameter change with the change in wheel width.

I went from the OE 225/45r19's on the 7.5 wide wheels to the same tires mounted on an 8.5 wide wheel and the overall diameter was noticeably lower due to the slight stretch. I was scraping the front lip on inclines that had never given me problems before.

I ended up replacing them with 245/45r19's and love how they filled out the wheel well, but am getting some rubbing with the 35mm offset.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Thanks for providing the pics and glad it quelled the noise and harshness. Any difference "felt" with handling and no issues experienced by the garage when mounting on our stock 19"ers? My new #1 choice if so and think it looks great sitting on there as well!

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'd to answer with numbers(higher is better):
(Mazda 6 GT 2016 on 19")

M6 2016
Dunlop 225/45 19
Confort cruising: 4/10
Noise: 3/10
Standard turn: 8/10
Very fast turn(*): 9/10

M6 2016
Cont DWS 245/45 19
Confort cruising: 7/10
Noise: 7/10
Standard turn: 8/10
Very fast turn(*): 7/10

Key benefit on the DWS is the absorbion of small bumps/high frequency noise.

Now if you did not test drive the new Mazda 3 (2019) which in term of nvh is outstanding, (pretty much Audi level), I recommend you do.

New Mazda 3
Confort cruising: 9/10
Noise: 9/10
Standard turn:8/10
Very fast turn: 7/10

Now this is my opinion :)

Oh and btw I test drove the latest M6 and I am not sure what Mazda did to it but I do not like the handling (test drove twice back to back with my 2016 M6).

Mazda 6 2018/19
Confort cruising: 7.5
Noise: 7/10
Standard turn: 6/10
Very fast turn: 4/10
The thing feels like a Camry (at least to me). Turbo is nice but undewelming. Again this is just my opinion.

Conclusion: very happy with DWS tyre upgrade. I felt the difference as soon as I drove off the parking lot. It feels like driving on one inch of sponge compared to the Dunlop. Also you get better traction with the wider tyre.

Fitting was a breeze, I ordered the DWS on the America's tyre website which ONLY let you select/buy tyres that fit your car. It took 30 min to swap tyres ($199/tyre, $1k total fitted and balanced with tax). They just mentioned that I picked a wider than OEM which I OKed and that was it!

Gotcha: since there is a bit more rubber (which I wanted for damping). My speedo is off a bit. If I set Cruise control to 65mph I do around 67mph. Does not bother me but something to keep in mind.

Hope this is useful info...

PS:
*: At 40 mph, brutal 90 deg turn. All tyres squealing

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hertz007 - just to confirm that your 245/45/19' are on the stock wheels (they look like it from the pics, but I am not sure as mine is a 2018) with No size/rubbing Issues?

Anyone else out there with a 2018 put 245/45/19's on a Signature?

I just ordered Michelin Pilot Sport AS 3

THANKS!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hertz007 - just to confirm that your 245/45/19' are on the stock wheels (they look like it from the pics, but I am not sure as mine is a 2018) with No size/rubbing Issues?

Anyone else out there with a 2018 put 245/45/19's on a Signature?

I just ordered Michelin Pilot Sport AS 3

THANKS!!
Yes I am on stock wheels. I can confirm, no size or rubbing issue. Michelin PS AS3 is a fantastic tyre, enjoy!

·
Administrator
2018 Mazda6 GT Reserve
8,571 Posts
245/45 is about the largest I'd go on the OEM wheels.

245/40 would actually be much closer to the OEM 225/45, and fit the rims with no issue either.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Just FYI
Actually I checked the 245/40/91 tires and at least the ones I checked showed a min rim size of 8" and the stock are 7.5"....... And when I went to Discount Tire, they at first suggest the 245/40 and then said no that would not work..

·
Registered
8 Posts
I found a great deal on tires 245/45/19....will they fit on stock wheel?
AFAIK the compatibility depends on the brand AND tyre type AND sizing. I'd recommend using the compatibility tool on the discount tyre website. Then if you have issues later it's on them. My guess is that that discount tyre just input the compatibility list into their tool which Michelin or Continental provide. Don't think they would provide 50k miles warranty on a hunch! BTW I have attached a screenshot of the various options for the DWS06 in my photos (see previous post).

·
Registered
10 Posts
Got the 245/45/19 Mich A/S Sport 3 Plus today! So far so good, but just my luck we are getting a RARE Rain storm here in Phoenix, so I won't be able to do much 'testing' for a few days.......
The ride feels and sounds better...... It looks a bit less 'low' profile, but I am OK with that..... and that the tire is ever so slightly wider than the rim. Might help if you just barely touched a curb! HA!

21 - 40 of 67 Posts