Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 06 MS6. I have about 3200 miles on it. I love the car but I am not that knowledgeable on racing. The other day I was racing an RX-8. I lost but it wasn't my cars fault. I couldn't get off the line like an AWD car should. I turned off the Stability control, revved up to 4k and nothing. No pull at all until I got up to about 10 MPH. I am aware of turbo lag but I am not aware of how to launch this car from a stop. If anyone can help me all advice is welcome. And please don't tell me that it is a family car and I shouldn't be racing. I hear that from my wife all the time when she rides with me.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
ibtl

·
Registered
343 Posts
Sounds like inexperience when it comes to driving M/T cars with legitimate power. Revving the car to 4k and dumping the clutch is not the way to do it- im assuming thats what you did since you said it took you till about 10mph and then your car finally started to go..

I get good launches by holding the gas around 4k then as i gradually and smoothly let out the clutch i add more throttle.

not condoning street racing as its for idiots but nothing wrong with launching your car to the best of its abilities while keeping it within posted speed limits...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't totally agree with you on the street racing is for idiots because if done correctly it can be very fun. I (however) take my car to the track but seeing as though I have very little experience racing, no one at the track has offered much assisstance. I'm trying to find out if anyone else has had the same problem or knows the best way to start this particular car. EVO's and STI's and even Legacy GT's are a bit different.

·
Registered
922 Posts
young grasshopper... try the same rev @ 4K but SLIP the clutch instead of dumping it... that third pedal on the left isn't an on/off switch.... as the poster above stated... you gotta feel it.. find that happy medium between fried clutch and great launch... only practice will help you. every car is different.. AWD will be you best friend and your biggest enemy...

my advice... parking lots late at night are great for launch training...

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
In before the lock out

or

I beat the lock out

You're talking about street racing...that's grounds for a locking of the thread (read the forum rules). Plus, street racing is stupid and dangerous. This thread should be locked.

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
In before the lock out

or

I beat the lock out

You're talking about street racing...that's grounds for a locking of the thread (read the forum rules). Plus, street racing is stupid and dangerous. This thread should be locked. [/b]
along with the original poster. sorry kid but you won't get any sympathy here for being stupid and racing on the street. this is *not* "fast & furious" nor is the real world. people get killed doing crap like that, often they're innocent bystanders who happen to get caught up in a street race gone bad. in the movies it's all cool stunts and even in the wrecks people get out and walk away. in real life it's a lot uglier.

it's often a pain to find safe tracks to race at, but the alternative of killing yourself or someone who just happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time is a lot worse. for your sake and everyone's around you, take it to the track.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
First of all I never said anything about street racing. The people who replied brought up street racing. If you go back to my 2nd post I clearly state that I am a track member. I just don't have the experience to compete like I want to. It's all in black and white folks. So get mad or disgruntled if you want but I'm not in the wrong. Besides, I have seen moderated street races. Some places actually host event like that because of the high demand in that area. I haven't been privy to this very long, so if I know about it then I am sure that you all do as well. So, I reiterate, I never said I was a street racer. I'm looking for help when I go TO THE TRACK. Any questions???????????

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
I'll respond with what I told you on your PM to me.

If you're so easily offended by thread responses, be clear when you post.

Street racing is stupid and dangerous. If you were at the track, good for you. If you weren't, you were doing something stupid and dangerous.

·
Registered
60 Posts
You guys are all way too anal about posting street racing type activities. You all do it or have done it and your way of making yourself feel like its not street racing is by calling it "spirited" driving. A lot of you guys on here are hypocrites.

I'm gonna go do some "spirited driving" on my way to the store.

·
Registered
343 Posts
He is right- he never said "i was racing this guy from one light to the next" he simply stated that he lost to an RX8 the other night/day....

WIth that said-- Just try to balance out that clutch- beleive me a 4-4.5k launch with the right clutch grab and you will absolutely love the launch..
Keep practicing....- like someone else said-- late night parking lots....Even if an Buzz pulls you over you can still talk your way out of a ticket....Im racing tomorrow officer at Xrace track....wanted to practice someplace SAFE and not be on the streets...if said right, he will just tell you to go the F home..

·
Registered
315 Posts
i didn't see him mention street anywhere.

And yeah like someone else said, drag the clutch out. If you pop the clutch @4k on dry pavement, you're just gonna bog the hell out of the motor. That's why it took off so slow. You were at 4krpm, by time your clutch is engaged, you probably lost most of that rpm.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I took everyone's advice and I went to an empty parking lot at about 2 a.m. and tried dragging the clutch. Since it was my first time it didn't go as well as I thought but out of about 10-15 starts I got 2 of them correct. I have fallen in love with this car all over again. Thanks for all of your help. Now I just have to perfect it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts