Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was driving my mazda 6 this morning and when I stopped at a red light a whole cloud of smoke come out of both of my exhaust pipes. After I got moving the smoke stopped coming out but the engine felt weaker and varying in power. AFter I started the car to go home from school another cloud came out, but soon ended.

This is the third time this has happen within the 2K miles I have owned this car. I need some advice on what's the problem and what to.

2003 Mazda 6s, 72K miles, oil changed 200miles ago, spark plugs changed 300 miles ago.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh Shit! :swearin: I just read the thread abou the pcv valve and how you're not supposed to take apart the tubes on the manifold with the battery still connected. When I changed the oil and I nearly took apart every single tube connected to the manifold.

What else could go wrong? My car has 72,000K miles and was owned by a woman who didn't know how to take care of her car. How do I know this, scratches all over the car, sparkplugs never changed, holes and stains on head liner, and cabin airfilter never changed(IT WAS BLACK).

So please, if you guys have suggestions on what I should check or change or work on I would be happy.

Ohh my light in the trunk is burnt out, but it seems like a wimpy light. Is there some other lighting I could put in my trunk?

·
Registered
4,524 Posts
Why did you buy it?

·
Registered
3,563 Posts
White smoke is usually the sign of a cracked head gasket. My friend had the same problem with a Chevy she had, and the head gasket was cracked. Have it checked soon, because it can blow the engine if it continues.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
White smoke is usually the sign of a cracked head gasket. My friend had the same problem with a Chevy she had, and the head gasket was cracked. Have it checked soon, because it can blow the engine if it continues.
[/b]
Yeah, but the thing is that the car doesn't continue to smoke, only once in a while. Anyways, I already changed the PCV valve today and the car seems to run quiter. I just hope that was the problem nothing serious.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
typcially white smoke is an indicator that the car is burning coolant. this sounds like an indicator of a seriouse problem. you probably need to have your car checked out by a pro, or at least a handy shade-tree mechanic.

·
Premium Member
7,221 Posts
White smoke can easily be confused for what is really blue smoke. I would get a compression test done ASAP.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
White smoke can easily be confused for what is really blue smoke. I would get a compression test done ASAP.
[/b]
Well like I stated before I have already changed the PCV valve, which could of been the problem, and I don't see any smoke. And I am not sure which color smoke came out, but i'm pretty sure it was white.

How does a mechanic do a compression test? Do they hook up to the computer and get the readings because if that's how its done then I could probably get a reader that does the same thing for a $80. I mean the mechanic charges $60 anyways and the device could come in handy if I ever get a check engine light in the future.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts