Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's the deal:

Mazda lists a unique part number for the front strut mounts on the Speed6.

However, many aftermarket parts retailers, including Rock Auto, show that the mounts for the V6 and the I4 will fit the Speed6.

I am inclined to believe this bad info since OEM is a unique PN. Rock Auto is known for incorrect parts compatibility. This has stung me more than once.

What aftermarket parts brands and numbers will work for the Speed 6? Is the only option OEM? Or will the strut mounts for the I4 and V6 work?

Thanks for your help.

·
Rally Racer
2,055 Posts
Here's the deal:

Mazda lists a unique part number for the front strut mounts on the Speed6.

However, many aftermarket parts retailers, including Rock Auto, show that the mounts for the V6 and the I4 will fit the Speed6.

I am inclined to believe this bad info since OEM is a unique PN. Rock Auto is known for incorrect parts compatibility. This has stung me more than once.

What aftermarket parts brands and numbers will work for the Speed 6? Is the only option OEM? Or will the strut mounts for the I4 and V6 work?

Thanks for your help.

I don't have a speed6 but I do have as 'S' model and have waded through the strut top changes recently.
There were changes made to the strut mounts that appear to coincide with the "facelift". The Mk1 (03-05) used what appear to be a solid center mounting.
However (I believe there was a TSB about this) they were troublesome due to noise.
The later Mk1.5 (06-08) used a strut mount with integrated thrust bearing.
The OEM numbers have superseded the older solid style to ones with thrust bearings.
Looking at the KYB mounts you can still see the differences.

KYB SM5548 (2003 Mazda 6s)

KYB SM5540 (2006-7 Mazdaspeed 6, 2006-2008 Mazda 6 s,i)

I have a strong suspicion that in this case it will not matter. I say order the speed version or the 06-08 6s one.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't have a speed6 but I do have as 'S' model and have waded through the strut top changes recently.
There were changes made to the strut mounts that appear to coincide with the "facelift". The Mk1 (03-05) used what appear to be a solid center mounting.
However (I believe there was a TSB about this) they were troublesome due to noise.
The later Mk1.5 (06-08) used a strut mount with integrated thrust bearing.
The OEM numbers have superseded the older solid style to ones with thrust bearings.
Looking at the KYB mounts you can still see the differences.

KYB SM5548 (2003 Mazda 6s)

KYB SM5540 (2006-7 Mazdaspeed 6, 2006-2008 Mazda 6 s,i)

I have a strong suspicion that in this case it will not matter. I say order the speed version or the 06-08 6s one.

Thanks for this!

·
Registered
233 Posts
So which ones did you install? I have the 03 "i" and have been thinking about getting them replaced soon

1 - 7 of 7 Posts