Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm posting this in the newbie section so it won't annoy anyone but I've been around enough that I should know better so I don't care if you flame.

Will springs alone, such as mazda speed springs, increase the handling of the car? I read the pinned topics and did some searching and all anyone cares about is how cool springs make their car look when it is lowered.

Or do I need to buy springs AND shocks and more stuff? How much money am I looking at?

Thanks

·
Registered
405 Posts
im interested too in this. Lately ive been getting annoyed on how crappy my six is handling. Wayyy too much body roll for my style of driving. But i know if i lower it, i wont be able to park down my driveway anymore, cuz i know the sideskirts will scrape the top of the driveway :(

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
lowering the car with springs will improve handling (and looks as you mentioned). however, springs alone will reduce the life of your stock shocks b/c of the drop.

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
lowering the car with springs will improve handling (and looks as you mentioned). however, springs alone will reduce the life of your stock shocks b/c of the drop.
[/b]
:yesnod:

i just had MS springs installed and after driving for just 20 min i notice the difference in handling, much better...

if you have the money just get Coilovers....

·
Registered
64 Posts
I would love to get springs and if Im replacing them anyways, shocks and struts. They definitely make your car look more agressive and can only improve handling. The only problem is that I am a horrible parker. I always pull too close to the curb and I know I have about 1 inch of clearance now, so if I do this, I will be that guy who has riped off his bumper within a month; I know it.

Funny you mention wanting to improve your ride. One of the few things the automotive critics actually compliment about our car is the handling. Personally, I always think there is room for improvement, but I guess by comparison ours is pretty good for stock.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
You probably want to go with springs + shocks, and that's the plan for me come spring time.

Mazdaspeed Springs ($230) and Koni Yellows ($400) is what you're looking at.

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
You probably want to go with springs + shocks, and that's the plan for me come spring time.

Mazdaspeed Springs ($230) and Koni Yellows ($400) is what you're looking at.
[/b]
great recommendation, i plan to get Koni Yellows......

MS Springs + Koni Yellow = great ride for half the price of Coilovers :D

·
Registered
867 Posts
i'm interested in this too. But coilovers as nice as they are, but your looking for over 1 grand. However, I was told that MazdaSpeed Springs are safe for stock shocks. Since my car is the 6s sedan, I would get the 5 door springs. Is this true?

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
i'm interested in this too. But coilovers as nice as they are, but your looking for over 1 grand. However, I was told that MazdaSpeed Springs are safe for stock shocks. Since my car is the 6s sedan, I would get the 5 door springs. Is this true?
[/b]
yes you want the hatch springs, i have read that the sedan ones tend to sag in the rear....

also from reading on here, MS Springs are safe but will eventually wear down stock shocks a little bit quicker than stock springs.....

here is a thread where it is discussed:

http://forum.mazda6club.com/index.php?showtopic=61813

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
great recommendation, i plan to get Koni Yellows......

MS Springs + Koni Yellow = great ride for half the price of Coilovers :D
[/b]
Indeed. Unless you want to spend $1800+ for either the HKS or KW V2 coilovers, for great suspension upgrade and close to stock ride, nothing beats springs + Koni Yellows.

I had KSport Coilovers. It was great but with the front and rear sways, the ride was just way too rough. Plus the coilover shocks lasted just a bit over a year and 12k for me. However, with the Koni Yellow's, Megan racing springs up front and the KSport springs in the rear, handling is not compromised, looks great and feels awesome. I haven't pushed the car to the limit yet since the KSport springs are much stiffer than my front Megan racing springs.

·
Registered
4,791 Posts
If I may come outta nowhere with an advice. Knowing what I know now, I'd actually recommend against making any suspension mods for now.

If I had a the chance to do it all over again, I would've saved my money on suspension mods and I would've plunked the money on performance driving lessons instead.

Some people will recommend installing sways. Other will recommend springs or coilovers. But realize that everyone is coming from a varied spectrum of driving styles and skill sets. A mod may make sense for one driver, but not for another because of differing driving styles and skill. Ie HKS coilovers and Racing Beat rear sways may be great for Stretch, but not for everyone. Actually, it might even be downright scary for some. :) My recommendation would be to take performance driving lessons. There you will learn what aspects the car is great at and what aspects needs tweaking to get the most out of your style of driving.

I know this is tough advice to swallow. It was as tough for me to swallow also when I asked Tindol and Tri-Point race engineers the same question. I wanted specific mod parts from the race gurus, and got advice for driving lessons instead. However, now I understand what they were talking about so much so that I want to go back to stock springs to learn the car all over again.

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
Track lessons is the best way to corner fast.

To reduce roll, make the car feel like it handles better, and not lower the car, and go easy on oem shocks, sway bar set is the answer.

Mazdaspeed will do well, RB is overkill IMHO.

dawei213: with your new rear spring bias, consider smaller rear bar if you are too loose. 19mm stock, 22mm WL, 24mm progress.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I agree the 6 has awesome handling. As soon as I took the first turn on my test drive, I knew a 6 would be mine. BUT why not have amazing handling?

So it sounds like MS springs and Koni yellows is the way to go? How much do adding the the koni yellows help on top of just MS springs? Is it just that they were meant for aftermarket springs and will last longer than stock shocks? Or will they perform better too?

Thank you.

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
rb is the roxor. i have racing beat and ksport coilovers. it kicks ass.

·
Registered
867 Posts
the rear swaybar: is that primary for track use? or is it also fun to drive w/spirit?

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
koni yellows for 400? where? rpm they're 500 for a set so i'm wondering where'd you guys find em' for 400.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
ya my bad... i guess they are around $500.. not $400

·
Registered
542 Posts
Yeah I think going with springs and koni yellow is gonna be cheaper and last alot longer then any coilover set up!!! Those koni yellows are built solid! :D

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
I agree the 6 has awesome handling. As soon as I took the first turn on my test drive, I knew a 6 would be mine. BUT why not have amazing handling?

So it sounds like MS springs and Koni yellows is the way to go? How much do adding the the koni yellows help on top of just MS springs? Is it just that they were meant for aftermarket springs and will last longer than stock shocks? Or will they perform better too?

Thank you.
[/b]
I bought the MS hatch springs for my 6s and also have the Koni Yellows, just not installed yet. Coilovers are a little more complicating but more for people who know how to work with suspenion set-ups, is a much better upgrade. I also have MS sway bars front and rear waiting for install, if it helps any, I read up on all three of these suspension upgrades and it is just two steps above stock. Which is why I went MS. Racing Beats are popular but like KevinK2 said I think they're overkill. Going from a stock I think it's 17mm rear to 28mm rear is crazy! (please correct me if I'm wrong) I'm not as advanced on suspension upgrades as others so I went small. Suspension is my love versus speed. Just my advice, Raynman's driving lessons should work too.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts