Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some of you will get a kick out of this. I don't need a fourth car, but I couldn't pass it up after I saw it in Craigslist. I didn't find out until after I had it home and researching that it's the sought after (ha) SP23 trim, which has the 2.3 engine and exclusive goodies like two-tone leather, heated seats, nice Bose audio, rain sensing wipers and some other stuff. The rear wheel wells are super rusty but the underbody seems ok.

It's the 5-speed manual version and even though it has 200k and seems a little neglected, it drives like a dream! Steering is tight and confident, the clutch and shifter feel freakishly new, and the engine idles quiet and is pretty punchy. My plan was to get it inspectable and flip it, but my wife drove it the two hours home and was impressed by it enough that we might keep it for her commute several times a week. The reddish brown leather two-tone interior, which desperately needs cleaning, is legitimately gorgeous IMO and looks downright modern.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll post updates with pics here as I move along with the winter "restoration". If for some reason I missed something major and it turns out to be uninspectable, I'll be out a couple hundred bucks and my labor (which isn't worth much, haha). But if I get it to pass inspection, it will be the deal of the decade! :) And it is a great little car.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Very nice. I was actually looking for a manual 2.3 early 3 before I ended up getting the 6. I'd still love to find a cheap one to use as a daily driver.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Very nice. I was actually looking for a manual 2.3 early 3 before I ended up getting the 6. I'd still love to find a cheap one to use as a daily driver.
You definitely should, this car is pretty great. BUT, get one from a southern state. Underneath where the plastic side sills trapped moisture and salt, the rockers are in real bad shape. I don't have the sills off but I imagine I'll need to buy new rockers for it. I knew this wouldn't be easy!

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wheel well progress (driver's side here quite a bit worse than passengers). Original:

After Por 15 treatment and epoxy filler:

Hit with black primer to keep moisture away for now (still need to do more sanding, spot putty, etc. before painting):

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Rocker panels: what a disaster! Original after removing the plastic side sills:

PSX_20200201_080859.jpg

I bought panels for both sides online for under $100 including shipping and had a local guy weld them in. I washed them off after getting the car home so I'll be priming and painting them soon. After welding:

PSX_20200201_080532.jpg

1 - 8 of 8 Posts