Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am installing new speakers and an amp. So I am pulling the panels off the doors and I get down to the speakers and the removable plastic bracket around them and I see and feel water? Of course I have been driving in some light rain, but I don't think the speakers and the inner doors should be exposed to water? All four doors were the same. Don't get me wrong it's not a lot of water but it is definetly getting wet inside the doors. The padding inside the panels does not seem damp or wet, and there is no obvious damage to the speakers(the plastic brackets were wet though); but I am concerned what will happen over time? I am going to guess my dealer will not know anything about this issue when I bring to their attention. I know this is a long shot but anyone pulled the speakers soon after driving in the rain or can confirm this is normal? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
207 Posts
Reading Topic: I have water in my doors??

In my last car, the water got on the speaker-magnets and froze - ended up shattering the speaker-magnet and rusting the speaker cage (New England winters are so harsh).

Possibly from a bad door-seal plus all the washings I put the car through - water could be getting inside near the window.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2,972 Posts

It looks like there are small vent-holes in the bottom of the doorframe (if you sit in the car you should see them in the bottom of the door if you open it)... Might have gotten in that way?

But when thinking of it - it you roll down the windows when wet for example - the exess water has to go SOMEWHERE...

·
Registered
652 Posts
Reading Topic: I hav

It even goes 'SOMEWHERE' too! ;)

God, I have turned into a forum spelling Nazi......sorry guys. It's Monday and I am irritated b/c some turd's Neon sprayed Motor Oil all over my freshly washed 6 this morning on the way to work. I was like "HELLO!!! YOU HAVE F*&@ING MOTOR OIL SHOOTING OUT THE BACK OF YOUR P.O.S." Never mind the black smoke the guy was making.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Replying to Topic 'I have water in my doors??'

Originally posted by Blackbird

It looks like there are small vent-holes in the bottom of the doorframe (if you sit in the car you should see them in the bottom of the door if you open it)... Might have gotten in that way?

But when thinking of it - it you roll down the windows when wet for example - the exess water has to go SOMEWHERE...[/b]
I saw the holes and thought about the windows also, but I really have rolled the back windows only once or twice. I understand the water has to do somewhere, but I don't think it should ever be getting to the speakers. I may be over cautious, and I could care less about the stock speakers, but what about my new speakers...........

·
Registered
1,074 Posts

i reckon u should see your dealer, coz sometimes i washed my car at a carwash using the high pressure hose and i've never had the problem though....

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Originally posted by KUNING-6

i reckon u should see your dealer, coz sometimes i washed my car at a carwash using the high pressure hose and i've never had the problem though....[/b]
Well of course I did and along with a couple of friends they say yes, it MUST go somewhere and is completly normal. Mostly from the windows. The rectangular holes in the bottom of the doors let the excess out. I had quite a bit of Dynamat and made "pods" for my speakers to safely reside.

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts

Guys...water in the doors is completely normal. It's impossible to build doors that don't sip in water.

That's why, as Blackbird pointed out, there are holes for the water to drip out...

That's also why it's a good thing to have som wax sprayed into the door frames... Just my 2 cents.

·
Premium Member
1,776 Posts

Originally posted by Blackbird

What? I totaly not understand what you are talking about ;)[/b]
It's just his excuse for shouting...nothing else to it.

·
Registered
2,497 Posts

The same in my 6. A little of water on the plastic cover of the speakers

·
Registered
2,972 Posts

Originally posted by Kristoff

Blackbird, you are sneaky![/b]
I am sneakier then you ever would belive anyone could be... :p

·
Registered
376 Posts

the stock speakers looks a bit on the cheap side... and if there is water in the doors, they will not last long being unprotected the way they seem...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

Originally posted by Steve 6er

They should be protected by a plastic cover. Aren't they?[/b]

Actually the covers have quite large vents in them. It seems to me the water is normal, but maybe they forgot what moisture would (and will) do to a paper speaker. I think about it every time I roll a rain soaked window down. I would probaly do something to protect even the stock speakers if I had kept using them. Also, I can not tell you the difference in the sound of my new speakers in the Dynamat pods. No more "tingy" sound from the music reverbing in the hollow doors. Vibration(outside mirrors do not vibrate now) and sound containment (can't tell it's really loud inside the car) also benefit from the new protection.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts

Car speakers are designed to handle moisture. They aren't supposed to get soaking wet, but they can certainly survive some water, and the generally high humidity in your doors during the rain (and probably a day or two after that, depending on the ambient temp and humidity).

Some car manufacturers integrate a plastic rain shield into the speaker bracket. They usually only cover the top half of speaker driver's rear. (The water then drops off the sides of the shield, away from the speaker.)

If there isn't a cover built in, you can improvise one using some durable plastic. (Some tough plastic bag material, for instance. Look for something tough, that looks like it will last a long time.) That's what I did on at least two cars that I have installed new speakers in.

You put the front part of the piece of plastic between the speaker and the door. Then when you screw down the speaker, the plastic is clamped in between and held there. The rest of the plastic just needs to cover the top half of the speaker's rear -- making a "roof" if you will.

Make sure you don't cover too much of the speaker's back, as you will obstruct the air flow behind the cone.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts