Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the title suggests, I wasn't careful and drove around with the light cover off and no fender well covers which allowed dirt and snow to get into the headlight assembly. I got rid of all of the snow by bringing them inside and draining the lights but the dirt has now dried on the inside on the assembly making my lights very dim. Short of removing the lights, electronics, harnesses and taking a hose to the interior of the assembly does anyone have an idea how to get myself out of this mess?

Thanks
J

·
Super Moderator
18,367 Posts
Any way to do it besides taking the headlights apart? Maybe a long pipe cleaner/Q-Tip, or stiking a rag in there with a screwdriver or something, but there's not much else tbh.

It's not super difficult to pull the headlights off these cars (pull bumper, then a few screws). And to take the headlights apart you take eevrything you can off them, put them in an oven at like 325 for 5-10 minutes, then pull them apart. Stinks to high heaven but it works.

Re-assembly is doing the same in reverse. Put them together, put the metal clamps on them (if they have them), put back in oven for 10 minutes, take out and you're good to go.

Not terribly diffuclt but I understand the hesitation because you'd rather not do this if you don't have to, but I can't think of any other clever ways to clean the inside.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Any way to do it besides taking the headlights apart? Maybe a long pipe cleaner/Q-Tip, or stiking a rag in there with a screwdriver or something, but there's not much else tbh.

It's not super difficult to pull the headlights off these cars (pull bumper, then a few screws). And to take the headlights apart you take eevrything you can off them, put them in an oven at like 325 for 5-10 minutes, then pull them apart. Stinks to high heaven but it works.

Re-assembly is doing the same in reverse. Put them together, put the metal clamps on them (if they have them), put back in oven for 10 minutes, take out and you're good to go.

Not terribly diffuclt but I understand the hesitation because you'd rather not do this if you don't have to, but I can't think of any other clever ways to clean the inside.
Ok thank you, I will most likely do the oven trick, just probably in the spring cuz even though its quick to take the lights off. I don't exactly want to do it in -20C. Thank you for your advice!

·
Rally Racer
2004 Mazda 6s Wagon ATX
4,097 Posts
As the title suggests, I wasn't careful and drove around with the light cover off and no fender well covers which allowed dirt and snow to get into the headlight assembly. I got rid of all of the snow by bringing them inside and draining the lights but the dirt has now dried on the inside on the assembly making my lights very dim. Short of removing the lights, electronics, harnesses and taking a hose to the interior of the assembly does anyone have an idea how to get myself out of this mess?

Thanks
J

1 - 5 of 5 Posts