Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey.. i just got my 6 a couple weeks ago....i did the work i specialize in....stereo installation....now i'm more concerned about the exterior and the engine.....i took off my resonator to my intake....but i was wondering........WTF IS THE AIR BOX MOD.......i never heard of it before and i;m interested to find out wat it is and a how to guide....... :)

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Should be the "resonator" that you removed... Stock intake has a huge muffler type box that sits behind the driver side headlight... Which does nothing but muffle the engine and intake noises... If you want free and cheap mod... this is the thing for you...

Honestly i'd just leave it alone... and get a CAI or some other sort of intake and remove all the stock plastic junk at one time...

However intakes are a few 100 bucks usually so not always worth it for some people... Removing the stock airbox / muffler / resonator... helps increase sound.. probably increase some airflow... and is free / easy =)

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i see....but does taking out all that plastic .....the resonator....tuba..flapper...and the tray really help at all......is there any positive outcomes of doing like....e.g...increase hp..torque...gas mileage...or is just for the extra noise that it makes..........hmmmmm :headscrat:

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
there are probably some "slight" benefits to doing it.. i would not expect much if any HP increase... or torque... or gas milage... You are still running with the stock square filter setup... and the stock plastic restricted inlet...

Which is why just about all intakes are designed at 3" round tubes with a huge open K&N style (not sure exactly what they are called) filter that sucks air in from all angles...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts