Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a buch of chevy's in the past ... but ... I don't know ... that SS seems quite a bit improved with the ground effects package, leather, 303HP v8. Upper 20's in price range... Look how much more room you get as compared to the Mazda Speed 3 Turbo! The MS Turbo is 0-60 in 5.8 FWD...The Chevy seems to draw little attention...I do not believe I have even seen it mentioned here. That 0-60 time even rivals the Dodge Hemi motor...What do you folks think? Yea or Nea??? and why...C6

·
Registered
298 Posts
Well to me monte carlo is a different animal and i wouldn't compare it to MS3....
Plus if you like outdated look of NASCAR car body style go for it... Also monte carlo might be fast on the straight line but it's not so good when you take it into a corners.... I would take MS3 over SS and MS6 over those two cars hands down, to me Mazda is just more sporty....

But it's just me :nana: LOL

·
Registered
531 Posts
I know you're in the market for a car. But you should go with whatever YOU feel right with, not what somebody else thinks. There're so many out there to choose from, it's pretty hard to make a concrete decision quickly. However you must have some personal preference, something you're drawn to (and can afford). If you like the car, go for it.

·
Registered
747 Posts
As long as all you're interested in is going fast in a straight line, then the Monte Carlo is a reasonable choice. And if you're going to buy new, I hope you're not worried about depreciation.

Do you live in Massachussetts by any chance? It seems to be very popular there.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Well, get whatever you want. After all, there's no accounting for taste.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes...I am a bit on overload these days...too much research on way too many cars. Looking at Auto shift cars I would go with the Chevy SS or the GTO / left over 2006 model. Right now the deal I like best seems to be a to buy in June the Mazda Speed 3. If there are some left for sale...I don't know truly how quickly they will sell. I think -going with 6 speed decision rather than auto shift- I would order the Speed 3 and price into it the Performance upgrage prior to pick up. It seems to be a no brainer...I have been tossing out some "trial ballons" as they are called....when I say "How about that Scion" ... I am looking for one liners like "chick car" ... "cheap" ... just to solidify my thoughts that I may be having ... I don't know that I am a NASCAR kind of guy ... I was afraid that connection would be made ... I agree ... As an auto shift - It is a buy for me... I have to get a hobby!!! Thanks folks...C3

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
Chevy SS models save the Cobalt(N/A and supercharged) suck ass. They feel like boats in a turn.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
The Monte SS, though powerful, is not a car I would consider, I happened to look at the inside of one this weekend on a showroom floor and was depressed at how bland the interior is. Though I've never driven the current gen Monte, I used to own the previous gen Grand Prix (same frame, engine, tranny...same car) and can tell you though it had an enjoyable ride it handled like a boat. Even when the car was going fast it "felt" slow. When I got into the MS6 I could not believe the difference in handling...siply astounding. Not to mention the ginormous power increase but that's an obious point.

I will lay out a word of warning, those FWD transmissions in the Monte/Prix/Impala are not up to the task in terms of power...they were designed to power 150hp cars back in the day and the 300hp models availble today are just asking for trouble, but that's just my opinion as someone who used to work for a company that designed transmission components.

The correct answer to your question is go test drive all your choices, then make the decission.

·
Administrator
2018 Mazda6 GT Reserve
8,553 Posts
303 HP V8 through the FRONT wheels?

Can you say "torque-steer"?

:nono: :slap:

·
Registered
990 Posts
torque steer is one issue. The styling is another. I always thought the Monte was pretty ugly, but the new for '06 version is just plain hideous.

and....I don't get how somebody that says they're interested in an MS3 or Civic Si would even consider a Monte SS. :huh: If you value handling at all, the Monte won't fit the bill.

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
Well to me monte carlo is a different animal and i wouldn't compare it to MS3....
Plus if you like outdated look of NASCAR car body style go for it... Also monte carlo might be fast on the straight line but it's not so good when you take it into a corners.... I would take MS3 over SS and MS6 over those two cars hands down, to me Mazda is just more sporty....

But it's just me :nana: LOL
[/b]
oh man, i drove a montel carlo beast and it is quick on the straight as you mentioned... but when i was taking turns, i felt like the car was just ready to hop off the road or spin out! the MS3 takes turns like a champ... same goes for the MS6! both are beasts with sporty suspension/handling

·
Registered
375 Posts
im reading these things and listening to you guys dog the ss and praise the hanlding of the 6.... i was disgusted that any of you thought the 6 handles good, but then i read on some more and you were talkign about the speed...

if you like the idea of the monte carlo then check out the impala

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You guys are funny...I loved my 6S but the Hatch Back area rattled like hell along with the Dash...the shifter was a bit notchy...etc...etc...The 6 is NOT perfect...What I have found is that just like someone said above you do have to make yourself happy first...Right now the Chevy is out of the running. For the moment I am lookiing:
1) Left over 2006 GTO - Mega rebates are near / so is snow
2) Honda Si in Sedan - Slick and S L O W but a lot of fun and cheap
3) Aquire a EVO IV once the X comes out
4) 2008 Dodge Challenger
5) Mazda Speed 3 (red)
6) Go used and aquire the 2004 Mazda 6S Copper color I always wanted!!!

I think that I do have an intellegent list here!!! So recent dumps are:

Mitsu Eclipse
Chevy Monte Carlo
Pontiac G6 Coupe GTP
Scion TC
Dodge Charger

·
Registered
375 Posts
so your looking for somethign that goes and handles....
srt-8 magnum
hot car lots of torque hanldes decent plenty of head room leg room laydown in the back room
almost too much room

·
Registered
679 Posts
That is a trailer park car.

·
Registered
6,771 Posts
I considered the SRT-8 Magnum until I sat down in the driver's seat. The plastics used on the door panels are appalling. I walked out of the showroom and never looked back.

Frankly, of your choices listed, I would go with the GTO. If it only had 4 doors, I probably would have strongly considered it myself.

I don't like the looks of the MS3. I think the Civic Si is pretty damn nice, but I think you'd be disappointed in the power output. The Evo rocks but interior is horrendous.

Why consider another 6s if you were not totally pleased with the current 6? If you are considering a 6 again, look at a MS6 Sport. Awesome performance, style and utility. Plus, it can be had for a great price.

Challenger is irrelevant unless you plan to wait to purchase until 2007 or 2008 and then this whole thread is worthless. Who knows what will be out there by then.

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
im reading these things and listening to you guys dog the ss and praise the hanlding of the 6.... i was disgusted that any of you thought the 6 handles good, but then i read on some more and you were talkign about the speed...

if you like the idea of the monte carlo then check out the impala [/b]
I'll take offense to that. My 6s is a quite respectable handling car, and my previous 2001 Impala was a world apart (the Monte Carlo and Impala share basically the same running gear)
Yes, the Speed6 handles better than the 6s, but I'd hardly agree with your disgust, its still a damn good handling sport sedan.

Apology accepted........

You guys are funny...I loved my 6S but the Hatch Back area rattled like hell along with the Dash...the shifter was a bit notchy...etc...etc...The 6 is NOT perfect...What I have found is that just like someone said above you do have to make yourself happy first...Right now the Chevy is out of the running. For the moment I am lookiing:
4) 2008 Dodge Challenger
5) Mazda Speed 3 (red)

I think that I do have an intellegent list here!!! So recent dumps are:

Mitsu Eclipse
Chevy Monte Carlo
Pontiac G6 Coupe GTP
Scion TC
Dodge Charger [/b]
If you live in a less than ideal climate (you did mention snow) I don't think the GTO will make you very happy. It's a high horsepower / front engine / rear wheel drive car, which spells NASTY on slick roads.
Frankly I think they're way overpriced for what they are, which I believe is one reason they never sold all that well.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
4) 2008 Dodge Challenger
5) Mazda Speed 3 (red)
[/b]
1. Hmm that's a lot of power and fun...you might need a 2nd car for the winter months though
2. eh i see the coupes everywhere now...booring
3. Where are you gonna find an EVO IV(4)? Did you mean an EVO IX(9)? Really fast but like other have said it does not have the fit and finish of other cars on your list (even the GTO has a better interior that the EVO)
4. no one knows any real final specs on this including price
5. I drove one...liked my speed6 better and I do not like the hatches
6. Why bother getting a 6s when you are looking at much faster and expensive cars on your list? (well the si is probably close)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts