Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been looking through some of the magazines about the speed 6 and take offense to alot of the stuff that they say about it. They say that is feels bloated and way overweight. I know that it might be heavy but a 13 second car i dont think would classify is numb or slow as they say. Do you think that they were having poweloss during some of these reviews or what. I noticed some reviews rave about the speed6 and other do nothing but degrade. Whats the deal, advertising or what?

·
Registered
788 Posts
Who cares what they say, people on here are doing plenty of real world testing, magazine speculation and reviews is pretty much meaningless at this point...

·
Registered
97 Posts
the speed6 is understeer city. it is way overweight. its a fun straight line car and minor twisties, but autocross and you will spend most of your time in the cones.

it's not a slow car, it's just not a nimble one.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I have been looking through some of the magazines about the speed 6 and take offense to alot of the stuff that they say about it. They say that is feels bloated and way overweight. I know that it might be heavy but a 13 second car i dont think would classify is numb or slow as they say. Do you think that they were having poweloss during some of these reviews or what. I noticed some reviews rave about the speed6 and other do nothing but degrade. Whats the deal, advertising or what?
[/b]
well i guess they test a whole lot of cars, probably some exotics too, and i bet after u drive a ferrari or lambo or something the speed6 would feel sluggish...

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Yes, it is afterall in a relatives terms and it is subjective really. What it suits fine for some might not suit others or vice versa.

When it compares to a STI/EVO or any sporting nature of design it may be a bloat but comparing to majority of cars out there on the road, it is no bloat.

Also it depends on what you use your car for. If it is a daily driver and occasionally track, it would be fine, also don't forget the room it provides inside the car, if it is what you require then it is the car for you.

Sure there are more nimble car out there, but would they provide the same space inside as with the Speed6? I highly doubt it.

I believe every car is designed with some compromise and price point. So one can't take the cake and eat it too.

My $0.02

·
Registered
967 Posts
Yeah, who cares what the critics say. The car was NEVER meant to be an auto-crosser and those that use it for such are delusional. It's not an STi or an EVO, period, and isn't trying to be one either. I'm glad that there is a lot of negative press about that car. It helped me score mine for $10k off sticker OTD (slightly used with 4k on the clock). I LOVE my MS6. It's the best car I've owned to date and you just can't come near its performance for the loot bar none.

·
Registered
243 Posts
the speed6 is understeer city. it is way overweight. its a fun straight line car and minor twisties, but autocross and you will spend most of your time in the cones.

[/b]
I didn't purchase the car as an autocrosser, but I have none the less taken it to SCCA autocrosses 4 or 5 times with fantastic results. If you think the car is a terminal understeerer, then you don't know how to modulate the throttle. The car is actually quite neutral at speed and very easily provoked into oversteer. It's definitely overweight (as is this particular driver), and the outside front tire takes a beating, but I've faired better than average against all EVO's and STi's. Last weekend, I beat all the regular WRX's (no STi's showed) and 2 out of 3 EVO's. Not bad for an overweight, only fun in a straight line car. For what it's worth, the less than stellar Elise driver went down again as well.

I will admit, I did hit 2 cones on one lap this past weekend, the first cones I've hit in this car, due to oversteer.

The critics are wrong, the car is great, but easily misunderstood. It's not quite EVO territory, but a hell of a lot nicer. It's not quite 330i, but a hell of a lot faster. Oh yeah, it's also 6-8k less than the EVO and at least 10k less than a 330i (equipped). I'll stick with the Speed6

Iguess the guy who takes all the pictures at the Fresno SCCA thought the car looked fast standing still. I really don't know why he took this picture of the car parked, but who am I to complain.

[attachmentid=15884]

Attachments

·
Registered
97 Posts
easily misunderstood may be right... maybe someone can explain the faux exhausts because I sure don't get it...

·
Registered
778 Posts
bani Posted Yesterday, 11:39 PM
easily misunderstood may be right... maybe someone can explain the faux exhausts because I sure don't get it...[/b]
LOL
Every car has it's what was the engineer thinking. I'll take the exhaust the way it is over the poor fuel mileage and power on the 3series (excluding M3) or the cheezy gauge cluster they install. The mpg gauge is just a simple vaccuum gauge. How cheap is that on a $35K car? Not even digital like the audi.

Now for the evo. What engineer decided the best place to install the boost gauge was by the shifter? Does anyone look at that boost gauge when they are driving? What's up with that?

Anyway like I said almost every car has some little flaw to it.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
That is a nice picture of your car. But as I look at it, I find I like the 6s lines better. Even if they are very close. But a nice car to be sure. BTW you should be happy they are bashing the car, it means that the prices will fall and you can buy them cheaper... HEHE

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
I didn't purchase the car as an autocrosser, but I have none the less taken it to SCCA autocrosses 4 or 5 times with fantastic results. If you think the car is a terminal understeerer, then you don't know how to modulate the throttle. The car is actually quite neutral at speed and very easily provoked into oversteer. It's definitely overweight (as is this particular driver), and the outside front tire takes a beating, but I've faired better than average against all EVO's and STi's. Last weekend, I beat all the regular WRX's (no STi's showed) and 2 out of 3 EVO's. Not bad for an overweight, only fun in a straight line car. For what it's worth, the less than stellar Elise driver went down again as well.

I will admit, I did hit 2 cones on one lap this past weekend, the first cones I've hit in this car, due to oversteer.

The critics are wrong, the car is great, but easily misunderstood. It's not quite EVO territory, but a hell of a lot nicer. It's not quite 330i, but a hell of a lot faster. Oh yeah, it's also 6-8k less than the EVO and at least 10k less than a 330i (equipped). I'll stick with the Speed6

Iguess the guy who takes all the pictures at the Fresno SCCA thought the car looked fast standing still. I really don't know why he took this picture of the car parked, but who am I to complain.

[attachmentid=15884] [/b]
jealous of your naked nose...

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
LOL
Every car has it's what was the engineer thinking. I'll take the exhaust the way it is over the poor fuel mileage and power on the 3series (excluding M3) or the cheezy gauge cluster they install. The mpg gauge is just a simple vaccuum gauge. How cheap is that on a $35K car? Not even digital like the audi.

Now for the evo. What engineer decided the best place to install the boost gauge was by the shifter? Does anyone look at that boost gauge when they are driving? What's up with that?

Anyway like I said almost every car has some little flaw to it.
[/b]
i garuntee most of those decisions are not made by engineers...they are made by the bean counters. Engineers probably said "ok we'll have 2 dual stainless steel exhausts coming out the back end"

bean counters: "hmmm stainless steel...sounds expensive, is there anyway we can have the look without the cost?"

hence the crappy exhaust tips

·
Registered
403 Posts

[attachmentid=15884]
[/b]
Way to go, bro! And Bani, stop pretending to yourself you're not a troll, 'cause you are.

That is a nice picture of your car. But as I look at it, I find I like the 6s lines better. Even if they are very close. But a nice car to be sure. BTW you should be happy they are bashing the car, it means that the prices will fall and you can buy them cheaper... HEHE
[/b]
He (and I) already bought. We should not be happy at the loss of value on this car. I know, it's a car not an investment. But still!

·
Registered
1,390 Posts

[/b]
I think the speed6 is very nimble for being a 3600lb sedan, it handles much better than the lighter Legacy GT and I'm not even going to insult the MS6's handling by comparing it to the less weighted Grand Prix I owned before it.

She's no featherweight but she handles very nicely for being so heavy...much better than i expected. Still always room for improvement though :drive:

·
Registered
413 Posts
And Bani, stop pretending to yourself you're not a troll, 'cause you are.[/b]
SeanW, why did you write that? I read this whole post including Bani's comments and I don't see how you can say he's a "troll". He's just stating his opinion, just like you. The car has received overwhelming negative press and many of the comments from reviewers are very similar. If you like your car, that's all that counts. But don't call out someone else because they don't agree with you.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
SeanW, why did you write that? I read this whole post including Bani's comments and I don't see how you can say he's a "troll". He's just stating his opinion, just like you. The car has received overwhelming negative press and many of the comments from reviewers are very similar. If you like your car, that's all that counts. But don't call out someone else because they don't agree with you.
[/b]
Everyone is entitled to their opinion but I think SeanW is coming from the angle that bani does not post positive things in his posts. I'm going to stay out of this one because Ive already voiced my opinion and the last time I was upset with bani's "trolling" the MODS appearently did not take kindly to it...
http://forum.mazda6club.com/index.php?show...9971&st=15#

to each their own.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Everyone is entitled to their opinion but I think SeanW is coming from the angle that bani does not post positive things in his posts.[/b]
Oh wow! Why didn't you say something then?! Well, of course! I stand corrected! Anyone who does not post positive things should be immediately banned!! The horrors! What a travesty!

·
Registered
403 Posts
[/b]
Okay, I take it back, calling him a troll is overreaction. Of course, Bani is entitled to make his overwhelmingly negative comments. But when I read one post where he says the MS6 "wallows" in corners, another where he claims the RWD suddenly kicks off when accelerating out of a corner, another where he says it is "understeer city", it seemed to me to go beyond negative opinion into trolling.

HOWEVER, the MS6 has BY NO MEANS received overwhelming negative press. This is another example of saying negative things about the car that are not based in fact. Not every reviewer loved the car but it has had a number of very positive reviews, especially for its performance characteristics. Other than comments about it's weight, I have not seen reviewers make comments that are similar to the comments Bani has made.

1 - 20 of 84 Posts