Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
It's just too expensive. I like to do things right with decent parts. I have a friend who had a modded 3rd Mazda 6 be completely totaled, nothing was saved from it. He spent so much money on expensive wheels, Coilover, and other stuff, now he bought another Mazda 6, but you can invest thousands in it only for some idiot to make the wrong move and total your whole car.

Not to mention, none of these mods adds any value to the vehicle. I wanted to install the MV tuning kit, maybe powdercoat my wheels or buy aftermarket ones, drop it with lowering springs and shocks or Coilover, but is a lot of money, even with used parts which I cannot find anywhere not even here.

My car is from 2014, so is old now, but only has 39k miles. I tend to keep my cars for long but is not the car I actually wanted. I wanted an Infiniti Q50 sport, but I couldn't afford that.

The cheapest mod I could do is install lowering springs, but then how long would my old shocks last. The cheapest shock set from Corksport is $500. The cheapest coilovers are like $1000. I'm not mechanically inclined or have space, so I would need someone to install all these modifications for me.

I'll just keep it as it is. A regular everyday normal guy car that is slow and it was never meant to be fast or look fast.

Maybe in 10 years when this car has served me well, which I'm sure it will in terms of transportation. I will buy something more exciting with all the money I saved and ideally a better salary.

·
Super Moderator
18,109 Posts
Sorry, don't know why the forum made me approve this thread before making it public. Free bump for your troubles.

·
Registered
790 Posts
but you can invest thousands in it only for some idiot to make the wrong move and total your whole car.
That's the wrong way of looking at mods in my opinion. Mods don't add any resale value so they're not investments, they're purely expenses--which of course can add value only to your ownership experience. If a $1200 aftermarket catback gives you $1200 in enjoyment, then it's a worthy expense. If you spend thousands upon thousands upgrading modding a 4-cylinder commuter sedan like the 6 (no offense intended, it does its job wonderfully), there's not much chance you'll escape disappointment in the end.

It sounds like you are lamenting your position in life. Maybe take a few years and not even worry about what car you're driving, and work on advancing in your company, learning new skills, maybe taking some online courses or something so you can earn more and buy your dream car.

·
Registered
339 Posts
I too am tempted to upgrade with a faster vehicle, there is a used 2019 Mazda 6 signature for a very good price.
However, not much of an improvement in acceleration, better to wait for the new inline 6 RWD 2023 model.

Mazda 6 2.5L Turbo
C/D TEST RESULTS:
Zero to 60 mph: 6.4 sec
Zero to 100 mph: 16.0 sec
Zero to 130 mph: 33.3 sec
Rolling start, 5–60 mph: 6.7 sec
Top gear, 30–50 mph: 3.2 sec
Top gear, 50–70 mph: 4.2 sec
Standing ¼-mile: 14.9 sec @ 97 mph
Top speed (drag limited, mfr’s claim): 149 mph
Braking, 70–0 mph: 184 ft
Roadholding, 300-ft-dia skidpad: 0.81 g

Mazda 6 N/A 2.5L
C/D TEST RESULTS:
Zero to 60 mph: 7.0 sec
Zero to 100 mph: 19.2 sec
Zero to 120 mph: 32.1 sec
Rolling start, 5-60 mph: 7.2 sec
Top gear, 30-50 mph: 3.6 sec
Top gear, 50-70 mph: 4.6 sec
Standing ¼-mile: 15.5 sec @ 92 mph
Top speed (governor limited): 130 mph
Braking, 70-0 mph: 175 ft
Roadholding, 300-ft-dia skidpad: 0.84 g

·
Registered
4,202 Posts
Mods arent for anyone but you. They dont increase or decrease value, except in extreme circumstances. Dont look at youre friends experience as a litmus for any reality. Ive had cars totaled and have been able to retrieve items from them, maybe he didnt know he could, or didnt want to.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I too am tempted to upgrade with a faster vehicle, there is a used 2019 Mazda 6 signature for a very good price.
However, not much of an improvement in acceleration, better to wait for the new inline 6 RWD 2023 model.

Mazda 6 2.5L Turbo
C/D TEST RESULTS:
Zero to 60 mph: 6.4 sec
Zero to 100 mph: 16.0 sec
Zero to 130 mph: 33.3 sec
Rolling start, 5–60 mph: 6.7 sec
Top gear, 30–50 mph: 3.2 sec
Top gear, 50–70 mph: 4.2 sec
Standing ¼-mile: 14.9 sec @ 97 mph
Top speed (drag limited, mfr’s claim): 149 mph
Braking, 70–0 mph: 184 ft
Roadholding, 300-ft-dia skidpad: 0.81 g

Mazda 6 N/A 2.5L
C/D TEST RESULTS:
Zero to 60 mph: 7.0 sec
Zero to 100 mph: 19.2 sec
Zero to 120 mph: 32.1 sec
Rolling start, 5-60 mph: 7.2 sec
Top gear, 30-50 mph: 3.6 sec
Top gear, 50-70 mph: 4.6 sec
Standing ¼-mile: 15.5 sec @ 92 mph
Top speed (governor limited): 130 mph
Braking, 70-0 mph: 175 ft
Roadholding, 300-ft-dia skidpad: 0.84 g
that's really disappointing

only half a second faster from 0 to 60. I thought it'd be faster than this. I don't know maybe reach 5 seconds

must be all the weight added to the newer cars for all the fancy stuff too. I'm sure it weights more than older 3rd gen 6s

·
Registered
339 Posts

only half a second faster from 0 to 60. I thought it'd be faster than this. I don't know maybe reach 5 seconds

must be all the weight added to the newer cars for all the fancy stuff too. I'm sure it weights more than older 3rd gen 6s
No kidding, plus worse handling, longer brake distance and the fuel economy 2014-2016 models is really good.

·
Registered
339 Posts

Somewhat similar to the Mazda turbo engine, good numbers don't always translate into results.
Extra 290 HP/250 lbs/ft and an improvement of 0.2 second to 60mph, 0.8 seconds to 100 mph and 0.3 seconds in the 1/4 mile. Something doesn't add up.

·
Registered
4,202 Posts
Those cars have a bad rep around here. No one wants them. BFP is about 20 mins away from me.

Anywho, back OT, the turbo 6 isnt built for off the line performance, its built for passing power. But, like i said, driven in manual mode its fricking quick. If it had a throttle controller on it...

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
..., they're purely expenses--which of course can add value only to your ownership experience. If a $1200 aftermarket catback gives you $1200 in enjoyment, then it's a worthy expense.
This is a nice way of seeing why people modify their cars. I can now justify my future expenses. Of course, I'll have the approval of my wallet first.

How I fondly remember our CR-V 98, I wanted the engine bay to be clean and clean looking all the time. I spent money and the only thing that it gives me is satisfaction whenever I open the hood. I just justify it saying that I wanted to see if there's any leak and it's easy to spot it but in truth, I just wanted it because it looks good.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Sorry, don't know why the forum made me approve this thread before making it public. Free bump for your troubles.
The thing about modding cars is the money. You should never put most of your money into a car for any reason no matter how good it makes you feel. Your senior years where I am are far more important then any satisfaction having a boss car when young and broke, waiting for your income tax refund to plunge more money into the thankless car.
Don't get me wrong, I love cars and worked on plenty of them, rebuilt engines and transmissions, all many years ago but my trade was a commercial airline mechanic for 40 years, cars were a hobby I couldn't always afford when married with a family. I had big plans but they didn't get fulfilled during the lean times.
Of all the cars I have had, five were turbo cars, I built one in 1980, then had two German Merkurs, a 2007 MS3GT and now the 2007 MS6GT.
I have been through all the stuff many guys write about here about their cars. I pitch in if I think can help but there are far more up to date guys answering questions then I can do anymore. I did my thing many years ago when cars were far more basic, even the turbo car I built in 1980 which was great fun was pretty basic! I built it all myself including the exhaust system. By 1986 that 1976 car had rusted so bad I had to get rid of it. That was the last car I invested into improving it's performance. If you want to go really fast, get a motorcycle, they are much cheaper for the go fast investment. I had 5 of them, never crashed or dumped a bike in 25 years of riding. At age 62 I gave the bike to my son. So have fun but be able to honestly afford it.

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
The thing about modding cars is the money. You should never put most of your money into a car for any reason no matter how good it makes you feel. Your senior years where I am are far more important then any satisfaction having a boss car when young and broke, waiting for your income tax refund to plunge more money into the thankless car.
This reminds me of this:

So yes, I don't intend to put much money on the car.

·
Registered
2016 Mazda 6 Touring AT
328 Posts
All due respect, but saying I'm not going to mod my car is like saying I'm not going to be original!
I understand that if the car is totaled you will not recover all the money you put into it. How often are you totaling cars?
Obviously be reasonable about what you can afford to put into the car.

In my case I have a 2016 6 touring, I have invested ~$3k into, that is now as faster than the turbo'd version! (I regularly beat much "faster" cars on-track, buddy calls me the GTI killer, but in a drag race I'd still lose to lots of cars I otherwise beat on a track).

Also, for those wondering why the 0-60 isn't that great for the turbo 6 there are two problems 1) FWD is traction limited with that much torque, 2) the turbo is designed for low RPM which means the power falls off after 5000rpm so it's not as wide a power band (whereas my motor just builds more and more power as the revs build, and above 5k rpm is the best sound, it makes me smile every time).

At this point I wouldn't trade my car for a turbo'd 6 even it cost me nothing for the trade, because my car is faster, with wider power band, lighter, sounds amazing, AND it's unique!

·
Registered
790 Posts
Separate but related: you could always do what I've done and stop spending money on car mods and instead buy vintage motorcycles. Used motorcycles are cheap, plentiful, and even "slow" ones will torch fast cars if you're purely concerned about speed. In the find of the century, on Christmas Eve I picked up this incredible '83 VF750F Interceptor for $800.

So yeah, if going fast on a low budget is the goal, consider keeping your car stock and leave the fun stuff to two wheels.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I guess its because I'm frugal and kinda cheap. I know what is like to be broke when I was younger, so I always have that mentality of always second-guessing my wants, which in a way, it helps you because they're just wants, you can live without them, especially if they don't bring any value except making you a little happier. There are lots of things I'd like to buy and do, but then I think about my future and how I would like to have more money and change my mind, is also a sign of maturity, being able to contain yourself from your desires and do what will be the best for you in the long run

I buy stuff I like every now and then, but spending thousands just to make a depreciating asset look a bit cooler, I aint rich to be throwing money away like that, so I just do little things here and there, nothing expensive to keep it fresh

·
Registered
339 Posts
2021 is slightly faster except for the error with the 30-50mph passing time.

Our one critique is the turbo engine's gruff demeanor. Compared to the silky-smooth turbo engine in the Accord, the Mazda's 2.5-liter mill sounds downright unrefined, grumbling at lower revs.

C/D TEST RESULTS
60 mph: 6.1 sec
100 mph: 15.4 sec
130 mph: 31.4 sec
Rolling start, 5–60 mph: 6.3 sec
Top gear, 30–50 mph: 6.2 sec
Top gear, 50–70 mph: 4.0 sec
1/4 mile: 14.7 sec @ 97 mph
Top speed (mfr's claim): 149 mph
Braking, 70–0 mph: 164 ft

1 - 17 of 17 Posts