Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you're going to lock all the threads that are in non-compliance, why aren't you deleting the posts as well? Even though the topic is closed, all the info is there and someone still gets their "ad" listed. Doesn't make sense if you ask me.

·
Registered
947 Posts
Haha... I had thought the same thing.... Ah what ya gonna do...

Maybe the mods should lock it for 24hrs and if it doesn't get fixed then it's deleted...

Give people a little chance to correct their mistakes...

·
Registered
900 Posts
If you're going to lock all the threads that are in non-compliance, why aren't you deleting the posts as well? Even though the topic is closed, all the info is there and someone still gets their "ad" listed. Doesn't make sense if you ask me.
[/b]
I think they have just been having major site issues! The mods have been posting that this site is getting hacked miserably lately forcing resets and restores. That is why stuff is disappearing, or so they have said.

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think they have just been having major site issues! The mods have been posting that this site is getting hacked miserably lately forcing resets and restores. That is why stuff is disappearing, or so they have said.
[/b]
You're missing my point. Let's say a person joined two days ago, they have 2 posts and one of them is in the Buy/Sell section. Thread is locked b/c person has less than 50 posts. But, instead of deleting the non-compliant post, it gets locked with a comment by the moderator. What have you accomplished, really? The ad is still visible for anyone to view and you could pm the seller about the item (which is how most transactions occur anyway).

The procedure should be if a thread is in non-compliance, the thread should be locked, all posts deleted (so you don't know what was being sold), thread title changed to "Closed" and a PM sent to the member from the moderator on why it was closed with a link to the Buy/Sell Rules. If the person does it again, they get a warning and then perhaps a ban if done again. If you really want to protect the members from scammers, that would be my suggestion.

·
Registered
947 Posts
You're missing my point. Let's say a person joined two days ago, they have 2 posts and one of them is in the Buy/Sell section. Thread is locked b/c person has less than 50 posts. But, instead of deleting the non-compliant post, it gets locked with a comment by the moderator. What have you accomplished, really? The ad is still visible for anyone to view and you could pm the seller about the item (which is how most transactions occur anyway).

The procedure should be if a thread is in non-compliance, the thread should be locked, all posts deleted (so you don't know what was being sold), thread title changed to "Closed" and a PM sent to the member from the moderator on why it was closed with a link to the Buy/Sell Rules. If the person does it again, they get a warning and then perhaps a ban if done again. If you really want to protect the members from scammers, that would be my suggestion.
[/b]
With the instance w/ the post count, then I totally agree w/ you! Because there is no way of 'fixing' a sale thread if they have 2 posts...

But if someone just forgets to put of a picture of his club name, date, etc.. w/ a post then it should just be locked, because it's not really invalid, just a screw up...

·
Registered
59 Posts
Why discriminate against someone with less than 50 posts??? I only have 41 posts and have been a member for 3 + years (and own 2 Mazda6i's). I've asked a few questions and offered some advice when I had some personnel experience on someone's question.

I've also bought 2 sets of wheels from members. I don't think a low post count is a valid reason to ban a Buy/Sell post.

·
Registered
6,771 Posts
Toyo Guy makes a good point and I even thought about that myself when setting up the rules. I do not outright delete posts as the user may think to post the thread again. In addition, if the post is closed because of non-compliance with the rules and a person goes ahead and buys even though the meager protections the new rules offer are not in place, that is their own damn fault.

And the 50 post thing, I will on occasion waive it if the poster discusses with me on a PM and complies with the other rules.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Haha... I had thought the same thing.... Ah what ya gonna do...

Maybe the mods should lock it for 24hrs and if it doesn't get fixed then it's deleted...

Give people a little chance to correct their mistakes...
[/b]
I agree with this in terms of not having the pictures, etc.

As for having 2 posts, IMO unless they're at 50 or close to it, it should just be deleted right away.

·
Registered
651 Posts
And the 50 post thing, I will on occasion waive it if the poster discusses with me on a PM and complies with the other rules.
[/b]
And I appreciate that...since I was in the mid 40's at the time of my post. One thing though...and I do understand the rules...but if I was purchasing items from other users here, shouldn't that be taken into some consideration? If people are in good standings in making payment on items, you would think they would be in good standings on selling items as well. Just a thought...

It's very unfortunate that there are people out there like this...and that rules like this need to be in effect. Personally though, I don't think the number of posts would make a lick of difference on a persons actions. I seem to remember reading a few 'don't buy from this person' postings here...and some of the accused accounts had posts in the hundreds, even thousands.

·
Registered
6,771 Posts
That is a very valid point. However, the rule is designed to weed out rip-off artists/merchants who don't want to join as a board sponsor (required). Remember, these rules will not prevent fraudulent sales. The rules only help to decrease the chance of fraud.

Final words to live by: Caveat Emptor.

·
Registered
3,030 Posts
more red tape.
more loop holes.
more hoops to jump through.

guess what? the scamsters have nothing to lose so they will do that. and you will have to improve continually. so if ur looking for job security, it is good writing the constitution of the buy/sell forum. :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts