Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yikes! I hit the mother of all potholes yesterday driving in Maryland..... god I had Maryland and I heart Virginia..... well anyway there was a car to the left and right of me, it was impossible to miss, I slowed down a ton but I still hit it at about 30-35 mph.

It ended up bending my rear rim EVER so slightly. I got out of the car and took a quick visual look at it and didnt notice anything. Then after shopping I checked it again and rubbed my finger around the edge of the rim and I found roughly a 2-3 inch section slightly bumping out. I ordered a new rim from tirerack so it should be here Monday and I will have it installed next week. However I am going on travel Monday-Wednesday of next week and I NEED to pick up some stuff this weekend and drive. Personally, I dont think I am going to have any problems driving the car around on a slightly bent rim over the weekend but I figured I would offer up my predicament to anyone who might have had a similar situation. I know I should have taken a picture of the rim, yadda yadda yadda, but it happened late at night and I am at work now, I didnt have the time.

Thoughts?

....just to add, I believe the "bent" part is only on the outside of the rim. I drove very very slowly over a level parking lot to see if I could feel anything with the car and it felt perfectly normal. I examined the rim and noticed that the bump did not go all the way across the width of the rim, it was only on the outside portion of the rim.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
The only thing I might do, if I may suggest. Swing by a wheel and tire shop and have them check the balance. The shop may be able to spin-balance the wheel pretty close to where it needs to be. At least you won't have a wobble and take the chance of chewing-up your tire. Have them check it for leaks as well. The shop should have a dunk tank or at least a spray bottle with a bit of soap in the water. Good luck!

This should hold you over until your new wheel arrives.

·
Registered
810 Posts
keep an eye on your tire pressure too. you might be leaking air.

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I bought a new rim last night from Tirerack and I was going to replace it next week..... cause im anal like that. I have a bubble reagent and I was going to bubble test the bent area to see if it was leaking when I get home from work. If it wasnt leaking, I was planning on driving on it this weekend to do errands. Im not gonna worry about balancing it because Im going to swap it out in 5 days when I get back.

Just curious if there was anything else I forgot about or if anyone had any similar situation...... thanks for the replies.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
About this Discussion
4 Replies
4 Participants
Philter25
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing