Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well my car has almost 16k miles on it and I may already need new tires... It seems as if it out of alignment tho you would not know it to drive it... I only know because looking at my tires the outside edges are junk.. I am thinking I got it off the ot this way and well I am pretty angry. I drive it carefully, try not to hit bumps and holes and well I have not noticed it pulling particurly hard either way..... Kinda aggrivates me that next spring I may need new tires.. I am going this week to have the car aligned and tires rotated but then in about Nov. I am puttng 17 insnow tires on, so I may be good with these till next summer when I have extra cash. I must say that I will prolly put KHUMO's on the I like those, we had them on a Mustang Cobra and they did well... Nit to methin they are just over $105 a tire.... I hate the stock potenzas always have , cuz they are also on the rx-8.

Sorry thought I would vent

thanks michelle

·
Registered
4,775 Posts
yeah, they are a very soft tire and won't last long.

I might also suggest the General Exclaim UHP. I know that a few members have been running them successfully for a while.

·
Registered
5,217 Posts
Actually the MS6 tires are not the same as the POS Potenzas that the RX-8 gets.

The RX-8 gets Potenza RE040s and the MS6 gets Potenza RE050As a far superior tire.

They have the same name, as tire manufacturers often do for marketing purposes, but they are VERY different tires. One is a cheap OEM tire made with a cheap price in mind for mass-production, the other is an extremely high-end tire specifically designed for high-end Ferrari's and AMGs. I think the MS6 is the cheapest car to use them from the factory by an order of magnitude.

But, yes, the treadwear rating on them sucks. Bad. They're specifically designed for VERY low life. About 1/3 the lifespan of most aftermarket peformance tires and about 1/5 the lifespan of what many people might consider "normal". I would think that 16,000 miles on a tire with a treadwear rating of 140 is actually not bad at all. I imagine that the Kumhos you put on have a treadwear of 320 -- designed for three times the life.

·
Registered
595 Posts
what he said....these tires are awsome - not much better than this for a performance street tire. To get this kind of grip, you need a soft compound - thus the low tread lifespan

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well whatever for the price of em they hould last a hellava lot longer!!!

·
Registered
595 Posts
[/b]

i hope you are kidding

·
Registered
5,217 Posts
[/b]
You can pay for performance, you can pay for tread life, you can pay for seasonality, or you can pay for lack of road noise. You can't get the best of everything and every tire is going to trade-off on one for another (and some tires will just suck at all of them).

You're not going to get a tire that's as performing of a tire as the RE050A that also lasts a lot longer, that provides the same seasonality (though 'all-season' might be a stretch, they're not as bad as say, the RE040s or the Pilots), and is as quiet of road tire.

·
Registered
651 Posts
I'd be happy to hit 16K on a set of tires...due to a high camber setting, my SVT Contour ripped through 4 tires every 10 to 12K...and that's with flipping them on the rims at 5 to 6K. The car wasn't partial to brands either...it hated them all the same ;)

·
Registered
209 Posts
Lol man, people complain about 16k on the mazdaspeed6 tires :D . Im so used to when i had my S2k and was on S2ki. Most the guys tires are lasting 8-9k before needing replacement (and im talking about corded not just really worn), i ran A048s and lasted me about 5k. You cant have a high performance tire and low treadwear.......the physics just doesnt work out.

·
Registered
744 Posts
im hitting around 16k on these tires now. im pleased witht he tread life. they are just about to be thrown out. i want all season tires for the winter. i have another set of rims for my summer tires. I actually like the stock tires better then my bfgoodrich ones.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
I had to get my tires rotated the other week and I only have 9k miles on them. The outer edge of the front (now rear) tires are nearly bald, they almost look like slicks. I'm thinking that the stock camber causes the outside of the tire to wear faster since the inside of all my tires has more tread than the outside, and I hate un-even treadwear. I was considering going with a longer treadwear and cheaper tire but after hearing all this praise for the Potenzas I'm considering just laying down the extra cash, but I probably will lay off smoking all 4 in an awd drift (only did it once but oh so much fun!).

·
Registered
451 Posts
haha, well i'm at 9k miles... my left front tire is VERY worn out compared to the others...

although i spent 2 days back to back at buttonwillow, running clockwise the entire time... i'm going to rotate them soon, haha

·
Registered
856 Posts
I just got rid of my Potenzas about 1,500 miles ago, had 15,000 miles on them. The edges wore bad and I had it aligned when the new tires went on. Alignment was slightly off, not due to curbs or anything.

I put a set of 225 Dunlop Direzza DZ101s. They seem to be a good tire for the price, the only complaint is a slightly softer sidewall. But I'm used to it now.

·
Registered
704 Posts
I'm suprised that you speed 6ers are getting that many miles on those tires. Hell, my 6s is at 21000 miles and I drive crazy stupid fast and they are just starting to wearout. I guess that either my crappy michilens are a bit better than your tires, your hp being so much more than mine, or a combo of both is what makes the difference. All I know is that if I had a speed I would be going through tires like mad, I guess that is not such a bad thing for me!

·
Registered
451 Posts
lol, treadware also makes a huge difference...

typically, the softer/stickier the compound in general, the better the grip, but the worse the wear...

·
Registered
4,775 Posts
I'm suprised that you speed 6ers are getting that many miles on those tires. Hell, my 6s is at 21000 miles and I drive crazy stupid fast and they are just starting to wearout. I guess that either my crappy michilens are a bit better than your tires, your hp being so much more than mine, or a combo of both is what makes the difference. All I know is that if I had a speed I would be going through tires like mad, I guess that is not such a bad thing for me!
[/b]
Um, that is a retarted statement. The mazdaspeed tires are under 200 treadwear and the stock michelins on the 6s are 380 treadwear. BIG difference.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Speedgal, if you're going to get 16k off your tires, you're doing about 6k better than me. I'll have 10k on the vehicle when the snow flies and the stock tires will be toast. I drive hard on a road with a lot of high speed corners (and I know the local gendarmes well, so I MIGHT travel just a bit fast thru the twisties ;)). Anyway, I wore most of the tread off of a Bridgestone Potenza RE50 (18 years ago, the great grandfather of this tire) in ONE track day on my MR2, so I'm not too unhappy with 10k on these. I'll go to a tire with fairly similar grip but a higher treadwear rating for the next set (it's all there on Tirerack for comparison), but they will be a compromise. You can have some of: light weight, good dry performance, good wet performance, treadwear and cost; but not all of them at the same time. BTW, if you get lightweight 17" rims for the winter, you might just try 17" summer tires, too. Should improve performance and drop cost drastically...

·
Registered
661 Posts
Um, that is a retarted statement. The mazdaspeed tires are under 200 treadwear and the stock michelins on the 6s are 380 treadwear. BIG difference.
[/b]
LOL - I love it when people misspell retarded!!!

·
Registered
829 Posts
yep, I had my tires rotated at 8k...seems like the front (now rear) tires are almost done. Maybe I can squeak out 16k, 20k if I want to die? =)

1 - 20 of 58 Posts