Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All,
Looking for opinions for anyone using one of these. Cobb AP looks nice, but, I was looking for something Cheaper and wasn't planning on fine tuning. Just wanted plug and play with cheap gain. If you are using one and can share thoughts good or bad, that is appreciated.

Damian

·
Registered
2,746 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Perfect..I loved that thread. Only thing missing is update from them on new map taking CAI/SRI into account. For the price, it really seems worthwile.
Thanks,
Damian

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
just dont mod the car with the hypertech, it doesnt take higher load/maf g/s into account and you cant tune for an increase (only with an ap)

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, I have Corksport Exhaust and turbosmart BOV. Getting Denso Spark Plugs and for now keeping stock airbox with K&N filter. I think I am going to get the Hypertech and flash it and see how it goes. At some point, I will add the SRI and update the map when they offer it to support SRI. Personally, I am excited to see how this thing performs.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I'm one of those people that doesn't plan on modding the car extensively. I've had the Hypertech flash on my car since early January, and it has made the car more pleasurable to drive. The max horsepower gain is at redline, and this is exactly where it is needed. The car pulls hard throughout the rev range. There is still a little hiccup between 2500-3500 RPM, but it isn't nearly as bad as on the stock tune.

Average power gains are around 20-25 horsepower in the midrange, and it is noticeable. You can look at the dyno graph on Hypertech's website, and see that the power is fairly stock-ish at low RPM, and on this motor, that's a good thing.

Bottom line, if you don't plan on throwing every bolt-on available at the car, the Hypertech tuner is a great way to go.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Wheelman. Can you tell me what options you turned on when you installed and your thoughts on them. Specifically, the 0-60 Electronic Throttle Restriction? That looks cool. The others aren't too practical for me. I really don't care about Top speed since I don't race and usually don't go over 6K RPM. Still, your thoughts are appreciated. Also, No CEL's since having it? And, have you gotten emmissions testing since having it. If not, will you return to stock tune before you go or just leave it.
Damian

·
Registered
25 Posts
The throttle restriction option is the only one I enabled. I kept the rev limit stock, as well as the speed limiter. Once autocross season starts, I may raise the rev limit so that I'm not bouncing off the rev limiter in second gear on longer courses. Like you, I have no need or desire to raise/remove the speed limiter.

I haven't had any CELs, and no emissions testing. I renewed my inspection in December, and in Texas they just check your computer for codes.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I got the device on Friday and also only selected the throttle restriction option. Took it out for a short spin yesterday and a highway trip today. I am Very Happy with the purchase! I feel 1st and 2nd gear really came alive here. Throttle is much more responsive. I definitely feel a difference here. It will be interesting if Hypertech comes out with any new maps you can load. Anyway, I highly recommend this device to anyone who isn't looking to do fine tuning or looking to experiment with multiple map choices. The Cobb might be better suited for that.
Damian

·
Registered
5 Posts
do they have diff maps like the cobb? for valet parking, better gas milage, or just anti theft no start? or is cobb my best bet if im looking for those ?

·
Registered
177 Posts
Hey, thanks for posting this. I also was wondering about the Hypertech chip. Not into fine tuning, just want to plug it in and go play. So from the sounds of it I should get one. Add another item to the wish list.

·
Registered
34 Posts
do they have diff maps like the cobb? for valet parking, better gas milage, or just anti theft no start? or is cobb my best bet if im looking for those ?
The Max Energy Sport tuner has a top speed limiter feature that lets you adjust the top speed shutoff from 25 MPH to 75 MPH in 5 MPH increments, and from 81 MPH to 255 MPH by selecting the speed rating of your tires. You can use a low top speed setting as a valet feature to limit the speed someone can drive your car.

Our tuning has options for 12 different aftermarket air intakes. It works well with most bolt-on modifications, without having to select specific maps.

Chris

·
Registered
121 Posts
hey damian, any updates on the hypertech optioin? now that you've had it for a month, thrown any CELs? Sputter got worse or anything? i'm debating about getting one.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Really?

Not sure how I have never heard of this before? :confused: Was aware of the Xede then Standback then Accessport. I guess I saw the ads at the top of the page and assumed this was for MS3. Appreciate everyone sharing their experience with this tuner.

·
Registered
164 Posts
This was on Spike Tv's Horsepoer TV episode this week and they actually dyno'd it.

·
Registered
121 Posts
missed that episode, how did it do?

·
Registered
164 Posts
Reactions: rom3

·
Registered
186 Posts
It was interesting how it only mildly increased max HP and Torque gains (20-25 HP), but significantly improved the numbers by 2.5 or 3 fold of this 20-25 increase at 6500 rpm. It therefore seems to get rid of the huge and annoying boost dump at 5500 in the stock ECU. Makes one wonder if it does this without doing damage to the engine. Mazda presumably programmed the boost dump for a reason.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts