Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm considering a CP-E CAI however my question is more around Short air vs CAI when it comes to hydro locking.

I vaguely understand that hydro locking occurs when the intake sucks up water.

Is this a very common problem with CAI and the speed 6? Anyone with the CP-E CAI have this problem?

Also, what kind of conditions were you in when you hydro locked? Just raining? driving through a lot of standing water? Taking the car down a boat launch ramp? what?

Thanks!

repo

·
Registered
315 Posts
I'd like to know as well. :)

·
Registered
244 Posts
There have been a TON of posts on this - as long as you do not completely submerge the filter you should be fine.
[/b]
ya, small amount of water will just vaporize inside engine. Unless the CAI sucks in large amount of water there it no chance for hydro locking. I suggest to get a injen hydro shield or K&N dry charger though, they can complete shield the filter from small amount of water splash, and make filteration better, in exchange for small lose in airflow.

·
Registered
5,217 Posts
Hydro-lock is exceedingly rare. To-date I believe only 1 Mazda6 owner, maybe 2, has managed to hydro-lock their car with a CAI installed. It would be impossible to happen in the rain and would take copious amounts of standing water (like more than a foot) to potentially hydro-lock a car.

If it happened more often, you could be sure that so many people wouldn't be using CAIs. Hydro-lock ain't cheap, it means replacing the entire motor, to the tune of many thousands of dollars. You can be sure that you'd hear about it quite vocally if it happened.

·
Registered
507 Posts
If you're really worried about it just buy the AEM bypass. It comes in plenty of sizes, one of which should match the diameter of the Speed6 version.

·
Registered
315 Posts
so that bypass valve just goes in between the filter and the cai pipe?

I wonder if you could just keep the lower portion of the oem airbox in there, and the cai filter can go inside of it, to have a wall around all 4 sides of the filter.

·
Registered
5,217 Posts
No, do not get the AEM bypass. AEM specifically says NOT to use their valve on forced induction motors.

The AEM bypass valve is set to open when intake vacuum pressures in the intake tube reach X amount. When your turbo spools you'll greatly exceed that amount and the bypass valve will open, greatly hampering your performance.

If the MS6 CAI mounts like the regular Mazda6 CAI does, it's a moot point anyhow because the bypass won't fit. The bypass adds length to the tube, and the tube has a mounting point on the frame. It will be too long to reach it's mounting point with the valve in there. Unless you cut part of the tube off anyhow.

Besides, many tests have shown that using the bypass valves negates pretty much all the gains from using a CAI and in some cases results in even less power than stock.

·
Registered
5,757 Posts
Like Sigma said, the filter is still pretty high. You'll be submerging moving parts of your engine and drivetrain before the filter gets wet.

If you're really worried about it just buy the AEM bypass. It comes in plenty of sizes, one of which should match the diameter of the Speed6 version.[/b]
AEM's bypass is junk and doubly so on a FI engine that can create a huge vacuum.

If you're worried about hydrolocking your engine with a CAI, consider not driving through rivers. If that doesn't work, stick with a gutted stock airbox.

·
Registered
4,791 Posts
I've had my MAFci kit for 35,000 miles and counting. I've driven through snow, slush, torrential rain, tropical storms, nor'easters, etc. and with nary a hiccup. IMHO The Mazda 6 hydrolock scare is unsubstantiated given my experience.

If you're really worried about it just buy the AEM bypass. It comes in plenty of sizes, one of which should match the diameter of the Speed6 version.
[/b]
IMHO AEM bypasses are useless and just obstruct maximum airflow. I think AEM just sells those things to prey on people's fears.

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
I have had my CPE MAFci for nearly 2 years and like Raynman, have never had this issue at all. So as Sigma, Stretch and others who respond, the hydrolock issue is so miniscule, it merely seems not to happen to our membership.

·
Registered
188 Posts
If your really worried about getting hydrolock then you could put something to cover the slots in the wheel well, other wise don't go driving through lakes.

·
Registered
507 Posts
If the moon were made out of cheese, would you eat it? heh
[/b]
I would if it were made out of BBQ spare ribs. Heck, I'd have seconds and polish it off with a tall cool Budweiser. :D

·
Registered
940 Posts
With the new threads that pop up weekly about CAI's and hydrolock, maybe someone needs to find the best thread and sticky it?

·
Registered
507 Posts
With the new threads that pop up weekly about CAI's and hydrolock, maybe someone needs to find the best thread and sticky it?
[/b]
Agreed. Or some bored soul could compile the best information?!?! Please? I need to buy an intake soon! I hate stock! :D

1 - 18 of 18 Posts