1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
329 Posts
Planning on doing some drifting in your fwd? :D Something like that is usually pretty easy to install. You just tap into the rear brake lines. Running the new brake lines will be difficult to hide without drilling holes in your floorpan. If you plan on using it as a replacement of your stock emergency brake it is illegal (at least in California) because the emergency brake has to be mechanical. If you wanted a low cost solution you could probably just remove the racheting mechanism on the stock e-brake.

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
The installations of these is pretty straight forward and would be rather easy on the Mazda6 since the EBFD is 3 channel and so is the ABS. So the rear is seen as one brake. All you would have to do is intercept the rear brake line(s) with the hydraulic brake assembly and go back out to the wheels. Although I agree drilling will make this project much easier.

I'm guessing the only reason you want to do this is to make a rear BBK. Again just like flyingm stated in Ontario as well as California the handbrake must be a seperate mechanical system. Now I doubt you would actually get pulled over and the cop actually check this, so I really wouldn't worry about it, at least I know I wouldn't.

There are several alternatives that should be explored before you attempt such a project, IMHO. For example, you could just run 2 calipers in the rear one for the parking brake and one for the regular brakes. Stoptech makes some excellent rear calipers for such use.

Also the MPV on the higher end models features rear dick brakes with the parking drum inside the rotor. Not to mention the MPV has vented rear rotors, which is something I have never seen on a minivan before. I haven't checked for myself but if the rear hubs are exchangable then you now have a bigger brake kit as well as a parking brake. The only thing that will need to be made is a caliper relocation braket which must be made regardless which option you choose. Also I'm not sure on which pad options are available with the MPV calipers.

Your other choice would be to use the brake setup off of a Mazdaspeed 6.

Most rear BBK are done with this setup, the inside of the rotor hat is used to hold the car in position while the actual caliper does the work.

If you are going to try the later option, be advised that the rotor hats are not designed to take the stressed that are caused by hand-brake turning. So if you will to do this you will need to install the hydraulic hand brake regardless.

I would think that the 2 caliper idea would be the easiest to impliment (if the MPV parts don't fit) but of course it will be the most expensive.

Let me know your plans and I'll try to help out anyway I can.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I really need something different than every 2 weeks change handbrake line :)

2 Mazda6sMtx
Please more about Stoptech 2caliper setup.
Because I can't find any info how to do this...

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I see that they use cable to lock hand brake...
And I wanna use hydraulics...
Because cable is wearing out werry fast...
But anyway idea is good... just need a little of e-mail writing with stoptech...

·
Registered
261 Posts
A hydraulic hand brake is an absolutely terrible idea. There is a reason why they use mechanical brakes for that application.

When you lock on a hydraulic system, you have created a closed system. Any temperature change will cause the fluid to either expand or contract. If you park your car at say 70 degrees during the day, and leave it there overnight and lets say it gets down to 40 overnight (not sure where you are from, but we'll use this for examples sake) you have a delta of 30 degrees and you may have very little (if any brake pressure left due to the contraction of the fluid).

The same works in reverse and could potentially over pressurize your system and lead to failures.

I am a brake engineer (atv's and snowmobile applications, not cars) but the concepts are the same and that is the reason why hydraulic brakes are not used for that application.

What's going on that your cable keeps wearing out? that seems really excessive.

Anyway, good luck!

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
2 stive403
I actually planing to use both systems :) If it will be possible...

It wears verry fast because of rally :)
And when is snow on road I use rally driving style all time at road.

·
Registered
261 Posts
2 stive403
I actually planing to use both systems :) If it will be possible...

It wears verry fast because of rally :)
And when is snow on road I use rally driving style all time at road.
[/b]
Ah! ok, that makes a bit more sense then. The dual caliper setup seems like the way to go in that case.

Without running two calipers (or a dual bore caliper with dual inlets) you can't really get independant rear brake actuation as even if you could plumb a hand hydraulic rear brake line, you'd end up pressurizing your foot master cylinder reservoir if you pulled the hand hydraulic brake. Does that make sense?

Anyway, good luck with the setup, let us know how it turns out.

·
Registered
329 Posts
If you are going to go through the trouble of fabbing up a new rear brake system why not look at something like this.[attachmentid=18105]

I have been using these in my sandrails for years with great results. I am not sure if they will have the same effect on a front wheel drive vehicle but its another option. Anything like this that you are putting on your car will totally screw up your abs system but if you are going to go all out why not have the ability to lock up an individual wheel as well as both simultaniously.

Attachments

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I saw few years ago ATX car with 3 pedals.
Front and rear was at different pedals :) But I see this thing stupid...
I need accelerate, clutch and rear wheels lock at one moment.

Also it would be great to have wheel lock at button not lever :)
But it needs to tap hydraulic compressor and electronic valve in this.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts