Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello,
This is my first post, will greatly appreciate it if someone can give me some insight. Not necessarily so I can fix the problem myself but perhaps to have a bigger picture of what my problem could be before I take it to the shop. As based from personal experience its getting more difficult to trust shops.

Car: Mazda 6s 2003 89K-Original Rims
Problem: When I turn the steering wheel to the left I hear this humming noise. Its very steady (noise) the faster I go. When I hold it straight it doesn't sound at all or when I turn to the right. -The noise its coming from my left front wheel. Any hint will be greatly appreciate it.

By the way, yesterday I joined this forum for the first time. Because my Low Beams wouldn't work even after replacing all bulbs. I was told it will cost $400 to fix it @ PepBoys. Thankfully I walked away. Spent all day reading information from Final Impact (crazy good guy). Bottom line, it was a ground problem which I was able to correct in literally 2 minutes no joke. The ground wire was slightly loose. I may be wrong, but have a feeling that the technician knew what was wrong. Because he did mentioned there was a ground issue. Despite they said it will take 2.5-3 hours to fix it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Mr. Smoke. I'm not afraid to try doing what you recommend. I'm new to this...can you please explain what you mean with "any play" do you mean if its loose? What does "shot" means? If this was my scenario is it adjustable or replaceable? But most importantly what do you mean by 12 & 6? I'm guessing its like looking at the wheel like a clock and grabbing it from point 12 & 6-but want to be sure since I have the tools to do this ASAP.

I did check the part of acronyms and couldn't see what I just asked.

Thank you!

·
Registered
730 Posts
12 and 6 is like looking at a clock.
Any play would be if the wheel moves even if it is supposed to be securely bolted.
And shot means its not good anymore.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you very much Alika. This is good enough for me to focus on something now.

I will come back here to report once I get the bearing wheel replaced by a mechanic.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hello, Please give me more feedback.
I jacked the car...But the driver wheel is hard, really hard. No play at all...To make sure I also jacked the passenger front wheel and its the same to the driver side where I hear the humming noise. So far I don't feel this is a wheel bearing problem.

Can you please give me additional ideas? what's the axle?

Thank you,

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am also having the same issue with my 2003 Mazda 6 but with the passenger side wheel. Jacked up the wheel and no play whatsoever. Latest symptom is after roughly 15 miles the wheel area was smoking and a burning rubber type smell

1 - 7 of 7 Posts